Team Strength and Outlook

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Team Strength and Outlook

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:24 pm

I haven't posted in quite a while, but today was reveling in our team's win at NC State and it got me searching the rankings.

We are currently at 65 in the RPI. That has to be the highest ranking we have ever had, and I have been following Wofford Basketball religiously since 1996.

The southern conference is poor this year. The closest RPI is UTC at 191.

The SoCon is 2-21 against teams ranked in the top 100 in the RPI. Guess what, both of those wins were by us.

I honestly see a potential for us to go undefeated in league play. We are that good. We might trip up along the way on the road once or twice, but this is a special team. I know we will probably lose to WVU and Duke, but in all honesty this team could be the best that MY has had. And I know the gravity of that statement. Lots of basketball to play, so let's enjoy this season!

It's a great time to be a TERRIER!

Woof Woof Woof!
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Re: Team Strength and Outlook

Postby youngterrier on Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:26 pm

I can tell ya right now, there are players on this team who believe we can go undefeated in league play and are going to work for it.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:07 pm

As of a few hours ago, our RPI is now 52.
Think that through: our fair little college has one of the top 50 basketball teams in the country. Wow.

As for SoCon play, ETSU, Chatty, WCU, Mercer and Cid are all very competitive.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Thinking long term, with a new arena in the works as well as our growing reputation, I hope to see us become mentioned along with Gonzaga, Wichita State and Butler as among the elite mid-major programs in college basketball. FWIW, SoCon jumpers C of C and Davidson think they belong in this discussion, but they don't! And even more impressive, we have something none of these other schools I mentioned has...a legitimate fully funded scholarship D-1 football program (even if they have been down a bit lately, they'd still kick in the teeth of any PFL team).
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:52 pm

One of the overlooked areas that is bound to help our guys is the strength of the players our starters have to practice against day in and day out. In addition to those dressed for every game we have a strong transfer and a strong freshman who is red shirting this year. We'll have those guys next year along with some strong Srs, Jrs and Sophs and three already signed Freshmen. This isn't just a team, it has become a program. MY may get the itch to look elsewhere, but he won't find anywhere that wants him more. With a new arena which MY will have a lot of say-so in designing and a program that is obviously moving up in stair step fashion, who knows what the future may hold? To me the only thing that is disappointing is the lack of community support. I know that South Carolina has traditionally been a football state and is not a basketball state, but we don't need but about 1,500 loyal season ticket holders to give us a fairly good crowd at home games. Then the student body has got to get behind the team and show up and have fun. They proved early one morning that they could do it, and I hope those in charge will work hard to make it happen. It looks as if they are trying with the $1 tickets for Wednesday night. People of Spartanburg, Greer, and the surrounding areas-this is the best ticket in town. It would be ridiculous to think that we can field a top 25 team, so they need to get on THIS bandwagon and ride. Support from the fans in the area and the students means a lot to the success of the program.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Based off of my facebook feed, the students are on the bandwagon.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:27 am

Wouldn't it be a hoot if, when you are an alum and that pretty new Richardson Field House with a court that will eventually be named for MY is in use, the students had to line up and camp out to get their seats for home games against name teams? We might have to trade 2 for 1 games to get them to come to our place, but it could happen. However, that would mean that the local and regional folks would have to be buying tickets and creating a demand. Just dreamin'
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:24 am

Ruckus wrote:As of a few hours ago, our RPI is now 52.
Think that through: our fair little college has one of the top 50 basketball teams in the country. Wow.

As for SoCon play, ETSU, Chatty, WCU, Mercer and Cid are all very competitive.

If the season ended today, we might have a shot at an at-large bid. Unfortunately, as the season progresses, our SOS will fall and our RPI will fall, even if we are winning.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Wofford is at the end. Not very long but it sounds good. Andy Katz 3 point shot. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/scoreboard
Loyalterrier

Postby Terrier13 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:36 pm

We're up to 42 on the NCAA RPI rankings :shock: :shock: :shock: Don't think the positive trend will continue once we get into conference play, regardless of the outcome of the games, but our team is doing big things! http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball