Iona

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Iona

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:33 pm

They I-owned us last year 76-52. This will be tough. But it is a great non-conference game against a strong mid-major to help get us ready for the all-important SoCon slate no matter what the outcome. I look forward to watch after I get off work tomorrow morning. This game will show us where we are RIGHT NOW as Iona is more our level than Stanford. We will learn a lot from it. We can win this one, but we must play better than we did in the opener to do so. College basketball is my favorite sport and I am just super pchyed the season is finally here!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Iona

Postby Hobo on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:43 pm

Roll call for the game. I'll be there.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 am

Iona is 1-0 with a close win over Cleveland. We are very slight favorites.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201411 ... ?p=2&tc=pg
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:27 am

I am up and ready. Headed to the BenJo. Let's get this win on ESPN!
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:55 am

Excellent first half by both teams, lots of energy from teams and fans. Iona up 42-39. Bad offensive foul called on Garcia with four seconds left, to give him three. Iona hot from outside; hopefully they'll cool off.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:26 am

Best sign I've seen so far is "Iona marries Connies"
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby lawdog on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:06 am

86-73 Wofford wins. Great hustle, concentration, rebounding, defense, energy. Several players played very well. Henson Hauser great job.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:07 am

Impressive. Very impressive. Defense, rebounds and second chance points propelled us this morning. We spread the ball around well and had good minutes off the bench.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby WTFan on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:28 am

Can't begin to describe the truly electric atmosphere in the BenJo this a.m. Announced attendance was over 3,000. Students were raucous like they were in Asheville during SOCON tourney. I hope they realize how special this team can be and decide to turn out en masse for all home games. An incredible offensive rebound slam dunk by Josh Gordon really got the crowd going in 2nd half and it was basically over after that. Iona much bigger and were white hot shooting in the first half. Perimeter defense by Wofford in 2nd half was the difference. We have some serious talent on this team. Two freshman Jackson and Brooks played and Jackson is a big kid who will be valuable when Skinner graduates. Very excited about this season. Last two days have been incredible for Wofford basketball.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby BernieDunlap on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:06 pm

Couldn't make it to the game, But I got to work a little early to watch it on the internet. and between you and me I introduced a bunch of high school biology students to Wofford Basketball. Great stuff!
BernieDunlap
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks for the first hand report, WT. I hope the community of Spartanburg also realizes what a good basketball opportunity this is as well and and that locals turn out in force.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:28 pm

I must say that the Spartanburg Community turned out en masse as well. The non-student side of the gym was as packed as the student side just not quite as loud and that is almost all Spartanburg people. Like myself, many parents decided that first and second periods could be missed for a chance to cheer on the Terriers at 7 a.m. When my son asked weeks ago if he could miss school for the game I told him if he was riding with me there was no chance I was taking him to school on time today!! Great game. If we can get the students to really embrace the basketball team, which I think they have, and get them to the games, the BenJo will be a tough, tough place to play this year. And with these Freshman we have brought in, the future looks awful bright. Hate to say it but I do believe we are a basketball school now.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:39 pm

That was so much fun. As a friend sitting next to me said after the final horn, "that was very satisfying."
So proud of the student body and how the team responded. They ran Iona out of the gym in the 2nd half.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Great posts, guys. It was really fun to listen to on the Tune In app and watch on TV. I was laid up in the hospital, having had my prostate removed yesterday morning (GUYS-GET A PSA blood test as a base line in your 40's, and one every year after 50-it is completely curable). I made a bunch of nurses, doctors, orderlies, and CNA's fans of Wofford today. Our guys are not only good players, they are fun guys if you follow them on social media. There are a couple of very impressive newcomers as well. Our scoring can come from about 6 places in any given game. In addition, they seem to really like each other and enjoy each other's success.Our leadership is great-both with the coaches and players, and that is so critical. We have a tournament this weekend in Fairfield CT, which is a very wealthy city pretty near NYC. It also is a good place for our name to appear. Terriers doin' it right...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:11 pm

First, glad the operation went well and heal up soon Boulder. Second, I was really impressed with the depth off the bench that we had today. Young players like Jaylen Allen & Justin Gordon stepping up will be huge in replacing the production when the likes of Cochran, Skinner, or Spencer Collins are having an off-night. Even the new guy, Cameron Jackson, was contributing well in limited minutes. The future sure looks bright for our Terriers this year and into the future.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball