The Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

The Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium

Postby Ruckus on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:46 pm

WOW! Just wow!
Gorgeous renderings.
Well, folks, we just stepped it up a notch thanks to The Big Cat.
Thanks, Mr. Richardson.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: The Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium

Postby LITTLEGIANTS on Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:56 pm

Wow is right!! perfect size, perfect look. Im stunned>

Thank you seems inadequate, but thank you is right
LITTLEGIANTS
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:00 pm

I like the sound of this:

Todd Shanesy ‏@TerrierTracker 50m50 minutes ago
Wofford coach Mike Young said he was told by Jerry Richardson that the new arena will be "the finest facility this level has to offer."
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Hope this is plastered all over ESPN tomorrow morning.
JR said Wofford stands for everything he thinks is important.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:26 pm

It opens in September 2017 and will contain an appropriate sized 3400 seat venue for basketball with seating all around the court like we've all been wanting and a cozy 500 seat venue for volleyball. LOVE IT! On our way to becoming a mid-major basketball power for years to come! Eat your heart out Davidson and College of Charleston! Maybe now we attract some more good non-conference opponents to Spartanburg too!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Thank you, Big Cat. What a gentleman and loyal friend you are to our school. Intaminatus fulget honoribus.
http://woffordterriers.com/news/2014/11 ... ath=mbball
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:25 pm

The drawings look absolutely fantastic. Ideal, really.

Two thoughts:

I think they should call it "field house." I dislike the Duke-sounding reference.

Also, and this probably sounds like I'm a downer, but I hope there will be some lower level general admission seats. I fear that if all the lower level seats are for reserved (excepting student, I would guess) then it could take away from the atmosphere a little.

But, wow, what a great looking concept.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Great news ...

But where will I park for football games next year?
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby BernieDunlap on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:03 pm

But where will I park for football games next year?

I was wondering the same thing.
BernieDunlap
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:48 pm

If parking is the biggest problem we have, I'll take it.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:27 pm

I suspect the facility will have a major impact on out basketball program. We have had 3 SoCon championships playing in the BenJo and Mike Young had done a great job recruiting despite the facilities, but my concern has been that when he leaves, can we find someone else who can recruit to the BenJo? Recruiting players to come to the JRIS should be easier. What is even better is that we don't have to share the arena.

The key to long-term success will be filling the seats. Mr. Richardson's gift is well-appreciated, but we will need to sell tickets to bring in enough revenue to pay our coaches well-enough to be mid-major contenders. We also need to build up community support before our neighbors up I-585 upgrade their facilities.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:37 pm

When I look at the pictures and design, it looks like there is some openness around the lower level, which may seem to make it less noisy. I would like to see it more closed off to entrap the noise. The size is great, but it has to retain the noise to make it more effective and give us more of a home court advantage
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:12 pm

walliver wrote:I suspect the facility will have a major impact on out basketball program. We have had 3 SoCon championships playing in the BenJo and Mike Young had done a great job recruiting despite the facilities, but my concern has been that when he leaves, can we find someone else who can recruit to the BenJo? Recruiting players to come to the JRIS should be easier. What is even better is that we don't have to share the arena.

The key to long-term success will be filling the seats. Mr. Richardson's gift is well-appreciated, but we will need to sell tickets to bring in enough revenue to pay our coaches well-enough to be mid-major contenders. We also need to build up community support before our neighbors up I-585 upgrade their facilities.

We need to send a message to our neighbors up I-585 by playing and dominating them every year...so everyone will see first hand how much better our program is.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:21 pm

The word I got this morning from someone in the know is that there will be a number of athletic offices and locker rooms in JRIS. The clear implication was there may be more sports in JRIS than just bball and volleyball. Giving rise to the comment by Art V, that we may be surprised by the scope of the building and how it will be used. Hmmmmm, might there be changes coming to Gibbes in terms of a team entrance from JRIS?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:57 am

Ruckus wrote:The word I got this morning from someone in the know is that there will be a number of athletic offices and locker rooms in JRIS. The clear implication was there may be more sports in JRIS than just bball and volleyball. Giving rise to the comment by Art V, that we may be surprised by the scope of the building and how it will be used. Hmmmmm, might there be changes coming to Gibbes in terms of a team entrance from JRIS?

As long as we keep the grass and don't put down a plastic field for a lacrosse team (a lacrosse team is inevitable, but we need to keep the grass).
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball