Start With Stanford

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Start With Stanford

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:02 am

36-27 Stanford leads at half.
Was 26-24 with 3 minutes left; but, we went 1 for 5 on offensive possessions and allowed a couple of 3's and fouled.
Unable to see the YouTube broadcast. Anyone having same issue?
WoCo NH Dude

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:13 am

Got the PAC12 Network feed for picture and Henson on the radio. Good picture, but all PAC12, as it should be.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:23 am

We are getting killed with Nastic down in the post. Questionable decision by MY not to double him or at least have a guard shade over to help once the ball goes into the post, especially since Stanford has yet to show much of an outside shooting presence.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:45 am

54-40 now with 10 minutes and change left. Cochran is only 2 of 10 shooting; if he was shooting better we could be right in this one! Overall still not a bad first game considering we are playing against a powerful Pac-12 program on the west coast.
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:55 am

65-51 now 6:25 left. Great game for Jaylen Allen with 12 points on 4-5 shooting and a couple of threes. Cochran does have 5 assists and 5 rebounds despite being a bit cold shooting. We have hung right with them othjer than a spell at the end of the first half that looks like it will decide the game. And we just have no answer for their big man Nastic.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:22 am

Disappointing start to our season. I thought it would be closer than 74-59.

Offense - Poor ball handling and careless passing, little movement, gave up way too many easy turnovers and baskets, tentative. Jaylen Allen shot it well and with confidence, but everyone else was hesitant (give Stanford some credit for some good defense, especially guarding the passing lanes). Skinner and Neumann non-factors; Gordon showed a flash or two; we need to get more inside game to take some pressure off and provide balance. We had little rhythm on O all night.

Defense - No answer for their big men, especially Nastic. Little ball or lane pressure after the first fifteen minutes. Way too many layups and uncontested shots.

Overall, we lacked energy. I think the announcers (who did a good job, esp. the former Stanford player) were correct that we looked tired. Waking up way before dawn, flying cross country, touring a little, and playing at midnight is exhausting. Stanford is a very good team; certainly better inside than I expected, and that set the tone for the game and put us in a hole.

This experience of this game will serve us well. We can build on this and still have an excellent season, and surprise some people.

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2014/11 ... ath=mbball Box.
Last edited by lawdog on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby ARTerrier on Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:44 am

ARTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:25 am

Looks like several factors illustrate our demise: 7 straight TOs in last 5 mins of first half: Skinner, Gordon, and Jackson got into foul trouble early, Cochran struggled. We were outmanned inside and they took advantage of it. I am sure the time difference played a role in our energy level. But a quick turnaround and 7 am game Tuesday isn't going to help that either.
Allen's confidence and contribution is a bright spot. Young man can play.
Overall, the result is not entirely surprising. Hoped we would keep it closer.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:33 am

MY's pregame interview proved to be correct. He said they weren't where he had hoped they would be,and he was correct! We saw some good stuff in the first half, but it was just a matter of time before they pounded us inside. Nastis? was just too much to overcome. Stanford is good. My guess is that if this was an NCAA game we would have played a different defense. However, this is the first game and we are going to play a basic man to man. I thought our guys were intimidated a little on the inside (and why not). As for being a little tired, that should be true. I hope they can get back and get some rest before Tuesday morning. Anyone know when they get home?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:43 pm

I think our basketball team always starts slow. But we'll be rolling by the time we hit conference play. We'll be fine.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball