NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Re: Renovations to BenJo

Postby walliver on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:05 am

boulder3m wrote:Big news coming.

Does that mean Richard Johnson will be out and about passing the collection plate at Homecoming?

Will we also get a hockey team to go with the shirts printed up several years ago?
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Here is the new strategic plan at a glance
http://www.wofford.edu/uploadedFiles/Ma ... d-document[FINAL].pdf

The "Arena for Intercollegiate Athletics" is under Rec 5, where there is also an Arts Center. And the Arts Center apparently will be funded by Jerry Richardson.

Here is the article on the website http://www.wofford.edu/strategicvision/
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Sounds like they're looking to renovate BenJo instead of building a new gym outright. NJ, any comment on your source or was your talk about building something on Cumming St. conjecture? Totally understand if you need to keep things hush-hush. Any idea where they're gonna put the new Art Building?
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:45 pm

http://www.wofford.edu/newsroom/2014/Wo ... announced/

Unless I just missed it, there is no mention of the location of the new Arts Center. However, the plans and detail in the size and what will be inside indicate that the architectural planning is far along.
On the plan is the Sports Arena, leading me to believe there will either be a new arena or considerable addition to the existing one. Details will be forthcoming, I'm sure.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Arts Center??????? PLEASE DON'T LET THEM TURN US INTO FURMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I am only somewhat comforted that the new arena has been described "for inter-collegiate athletics" as opposed to a multi-use venue that is a really poor basketball facility a la Timmons Arena)
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:01 pm

there are pictures of the Arts Center here, but I still don't know the location

Edit: hearing that is going where Fraternity/Sorority row is now. New Row still TBD
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:43 pm

Hobo wrote:there are pictures of the Arts Center here, but I still don't know the location

Edit: hearing that is going where Fraternity/Sorority row is now. New Row still TBD

I've heard that fraternity row will be east of Snyder field - out of sight.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Article in GoUpstate and story in Wofford News Service indicate the new center will be where Fraternity Row is. New Fraternity and Sorority Houses will be in a village layout; so, will not be surprised if not too far from the village area.
WoCo NH Dude

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:17 am

I am fine with increasing our footprint in the arts. Converse is so messed up that offering a legitimate option might bring in some of what they get by default and having more arts/cultural activities on campus will make Wofford more accessible to the community. I like the idea of putting the new building where the Row is currently located. Unless there has been significant improvement in the nearly 20 years since I graduated then a change there is past due. What I find interesting is that architecturally the Arts Center doesn't look like anything else on campus. I just think that's odd considering the great lengths Wofford has taken to blend in (painting Burwell, Campus Life and Andrews) and clear out (old Wightman) the things that don't match the historic buildings.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 am

If a new arena is built, my hope is that we will still continue to have the best parking for football and basketball of any of the programs we regularly play. I know that is hard to maintain as we expand, but it is so critical for the experience. With a new arena Wofford will truly be able to move up in the basketball world. Our sports complex is already pretty impressive, and to tie it all together will be fun to watch. We've come a long way from Snyder Field and Andrews Field House!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:21 pm

I thought the same thing about parking, Boulder. I am in the parent lot now and really like the feel of that on Saturday. I think it will be an adjustment certainly. Change is hard. Yet, we don't grow without changing.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:14 pm

The big rumor is that the arts center is going to be where the row is. I'm fairly certain that's a true rumor, as the administration has been trying for years to tear it down and get a new one. Fundraising efforts have stalled in recent years because the layouts for the new houses were exactly the same and that was kind of unpopular with fraternity alumni, the people wofford was asking for fundraising money from.

But, this summer when the college was doing routine summer maintenance with the houses, they tried to get an estimate to repair the roofs of the houses of the row, and the accumulative estimate for such a repair was in the high 5 figure, low 6 figure number. So they are serious about building a new row, and they're probably intent on moving it to closer to the village, Dr. Samhat has said as much at campus union meetings.

As for the art center and other aspects of the strategic plan, we are basically improving our arts programs because those are what's lagging and keeping us from being a top 50 school as opposed to a top 100 school. Other institutions that are better or similar to Wofford have stuff like arts centers and the things you see in the strategic vision.

Overall, I'm pleased with the vision and I can't wait to see what Wofford looks like in 10 years
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:52 pm

YT- You need to do whatever you can to get involved as a student with the new arena and look of the athletic facilities. I will be good for the College to have you, and you will enjoy it. Do whatever you can to be a part of it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball