Renovations to BenJo

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Renovations to BenJo

Postby walliver on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:06 pm

I have looked at the photos and find it heard to visualize that structure where the row is now, primarily because of the slope.

I remember running down that hill, and also stumbling back up the hill more than a few times, and it is a long hill to stumble up.

If that is the location, then it may be a while before the building is built. It would likely take 2 years to finalize and construct a new fraternity row, and then another year or two to build the Arts Center. I guess they could put the fraternities in double-wide trailers in the parking lots for a while, but that doesn't appeal to people willing to pay $50,000 a year tuition.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:18 pm

My guess is that the availability of parking adjacent to the site is critical for performances in the Arts Center. The topography is easy to overcome, and evidently the pretty pictures were put together quickly to allow a presentation at the Board Meeting. Those who have been in the loop on the expansion of the campus over the years and the addition of buildings to the campus have done a fabulous job of weaving them into the existing pattern. It would make sense that the Row would be somewhere near the Village, and that the athletic arena would be behind the scoreboard on the north side of Gibbs. It will take several years to implement the plan, but, like all large campaigns, we can imagine that some large gifts have been committed before the public is informed. The Board and Dr. Samhat have hit the ground running. Harold Chandler never did let the grass grow under his feet.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:21 pm

I know it's been said here, but one more time:

I think anything too large and/or multi-purpose-y would be a huge mistake for if/when they build or renovate or whatever.

Small and loud is the way to go, in my opinion.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Agree. Ask Coach K.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:28 pm

I had the privilege of attending a Wofford alumni event this evening in Winston-Salem and meeting Dr. Samhat for the first time. I came away impressed and inspired for the future of our dear college. Just to confirm some things on the board that had been rumored: the new Richardson Arts building will go where The Row currently sits. Likewise, the new Greek Village, with houses for both fraternities and sororities, will be located in the gravel parking lot across adjacent to the tennis courts and Phase III of the Village. Finally, a major announcement was promised to be revealed by the end of this academic term. Many in attendance conjectured it would be about a new basketball arena but President Samhat and the folks in the Development Office played it pretty close to the vest and wouldn't confirm anything. Stay tuned fellow Terriers- the future is bright!
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby watdog on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:37 am

I learned more in the basement of Marsh than any high class housing we have now or will have
watdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:32 am

Good stuff, watdog.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:30 pm

I am on board with the last two posts
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Marsh had copperheads in the basement this semester

Also, the major announcement may have to do with moving Fraternity or Sorority rush/recruitment to the spring which may be a can of worms in and of itself
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:47 am

I'm simultaneously glad and sad I never stayed in Marsh. I had two years in the old Holiday Inn-style Wightman, though.

Snakes in a Dorm. Sounds like that could be a good Samuel L. Jackson flick.

I get the desire for a Spring Rush since that is currently crammed right into the beginning of the year, but that's just going to open the whole fall up for infamous "dirty rush" events, plus we almost always had a small spring rush class for some select guys that we met during the fall which would become a lost opportunity if everyone waits until the spring.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Personally I don't understand the need to rush the construction of the Arts Center. Why not build the new "Row" first and then move in; tear down the old; and build the Arts Center?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball