C of C Investigation

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: C of C Investigation

Postby Ruckus on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 am

The College of Knowledge as it was affectionately called in my era. Edu-factory it is, teaching all you will ever need to know while waiting tables and working as a boat captain in the Holy City.
I exaggerate of course but their arrogance about themselves seem very misplaced. Good basketball and baseball played down there but not nearly as superior as they seem to want to make themselves.
Charleston is a neat place, and as an 18-20 yr old kid off at college, I know it's fun. Great low country lifestyle but I swear I am not sure I'd want to raise a family up in the beach/tourist atmosphere. That's just me and I know I am so far out of touch with the norm on so many levels.
What would concern me is the LACK of a real culture there and an admin and program in disarray. Why would anyone EVER take a job where you were not really wanted? Kind of like a marriage: if you are settling for me, you will never be happy with me and will always look for the negative. But again that's just old fashioned, out of touch, uncool neanderthal Ruckus talkin'..........what do I know.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:40 am

The real problem with CofC basketball is ... if you take away the Kresse years, there really is no basketball tradition.

Unfortunately for us, they have a much nicer arena, most likely pay the coach much more, and are in a higher profile basketball conference (not a high profile conference, but higher than the football-centric SoCon)
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:53 am

Agreed and, not belittling it, but the Kresse era was really only successful at the NAIA level. In fact, I could make the case that a school like ETSU has a stronger tradition in hoops when you look at their NCAA tourney runs. The arena is definitely a plus for C of C, but I'm not convinced the conference move was a good one for them. I think the fan base is really having a hard time adjusting to/caring about playing teams they know nothing about, have no natural rivalry with, etc., and attendance is suffering as a result.

Setting aside my own selfish desire to keep MY at Wofford, I really hope he doesn't go down this road for the bump in pay and perceived rep of C of C as a hoops power....Me thinks the Emperor (Cougar) wears no clothes.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:37 am

I don't know....College of Charleston isn't Harvard, I guess, but I've known some really sharp people to have gone there. It's a very popular destination for Spartanburg kids, and they get some really good students out of Spartanburg. I think for local Charlestoners, it's more of a commuter school kind of situation. The CofC campus is actually really compact and attractive, at least the main section. A nice place to go to school, I would think.

Their sense of superiority about basketball is funny to me. Whether or not Mike Young is the best choice for their program, it is interesting that Wofford has been to the NCAA Tournament 3 times in the last half-decade while Charleston hasn't been at all since the 1990s....yet, Mike Young is a nobody to their fans, too small time. Hilarious.

That said, I do think the CofC job could be a great situation for the right coach. The recruiting potential there is enormous (beautiful city and campus, the BEACH, good school but not high admission standards...). The fans are really into it. They haven't been winning championships lately, but there is some significant history of success, some notable wins, etc.

I guess we'll see how it shakes out.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:47 pm

Per recent Todd Tweet, Mike Young has decided to stay at Wofford.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:52 pm

College of Charleston board confirming same thing. Well they (CoC alumni) are happy and we are happy. Just hope Mike Young is happy as well. I guess they will hire their hero who has zero coaching experience. Good luck to them with that. Now let's go win us another SOCON Championship and get back to the dance!!
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:54 pm

When I said "board" I was referring to their COC's message board and not COC's board.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Hallelujah !

I was just on the Cougs fan site trying to find out the status and the best comment I saw was that it is taking them longer to pick a coach than it does for the Catholics to pick a pope! Guess the smoke will be rising from George Street shortly.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Seeing it tweeted that Anthony Johnson has also withdrawn his name shortly after it was reported it was a done deal.

Next piece of news out of Charleston:
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:35 pm

This is truly getting comical!
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 pm

These are the tweets from the P & C sports writer:

Andrew Miller @APMILLER_PandC · 21m
BREAKING: Anthony Johnson & Mike Young withdraw names from #CofC job. http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2 ... sideration

Andrew Miller @APMILLER_PandC · 31m
AJ: "This is my top priority at this time and what is in the best interests of my family, especially my two beautiful kids"

Andrew Miller @APMILLER_PandC · 31m
AJ: "I have a personal matter, my divorce in June of 2013, that requires my full attention, as my wife and I are working hard to reconcile.

Andrew Miller @APMILLER_PandC · 32m
AJ: "Unfortunately, at this time, I can not continue in my pursuit of that position."

BREAKING: AJ: "I am ending my pursuit of the position of Head Men's Basketball Coach at the College of Charleston."

BREAKING: Anthony Johnson withdraws name from consideration for #CofC job.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:55 pm

Well, they sure took that "national search" thing to a whole different level. :D
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby ARTerrier on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Phew, I'm just relieved that we've retained Young....
ARTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby ARTerrier on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:35 pm

Here is Shanesy's tweet:
Mike Young on grueling process at C of C and his decision stay at Wofford: "I knew when it was time to back away and take care of my guys."
https://twitter.com/terriertracker/stat ... 5553958912
ARTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Un-frickin-believable. I mean, really??????
MY withdraws his name after a week in limbo which usually signals an impending announcement that someone is getting gr job, in this case AJ. But then AJ withdraws his name right after that.
What a cluster!!!! Those CoC people are out of their minds.
I don't what to do next: thank our lucky stars MY stayed or fall down in the floor laughing at the CoC house burning down.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball