Starting five, 2014

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Starting five, 2014

Postby lawdog on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:25 pm

Admittedly it is early. However, it is fun to try to pick a starting five and rotation.

First, it will not be as easy as last year. We have more talented depth, especially after the first five. But here goes:

Cochrane, Garcia, Collins, Skinner and Brooks.

This assumes that Brooks is the dynamo and defender we think he is. We will not have great size, but will be quick, aggressive and experienced. Also, I see at least three players getting a lot of PT, to give us the 8-man rotation good teams look for. Picking the first three off the bench is tough; I would say Allen, Neumann, and Sawvell (if he can play early, under transfer rules). Gordon, Cameron (who may play a lot), Mcknight, and Swinton will play significant minutes too. McKnight or Cameron may get a RS, with Cochrane and Skinner graduating. Or Cameron, or Gordon, may get into the top eight. Thoughts?

Competition will be intense. This is one of the most talented groups Wofford has had. However all will be for naught if we do not keep up the intensity, unselfishness, and defense we finished with. Hopefully we will also improve offensively over last year. No doubt the coaches will again give them the opportunity for some serious preseason physical conditioning.
Last edited by lawdog on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Starting five, 2014

Postby Loyalterrier on Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Good topic ld. You may be correct about the starting five and like you said it probably will depend on Brooks' skills. PT for guys coming off the bench I will go with Sawvell, Allen, Gordon, Neumann, Swinton. Sawvell will likely play a lot at first (if he is eligible in January as rumored) and may end up starting before the year is out. But he has to learn to play with the other guys since he is new. How long will that take ? Jackson and McKnight might play a lot too but they will have to earn it and it will not be easy. We will not be very big but we will be quick, fast and talented. The Terriers will have a target on their back but I am confident they will be up to the challenge. Go Terriers !!!!!!

After looking at the roster and thinking some more I think we have 10 good enough players - Cochran, Skinner, Garcia, Collins, Gordon, Neumann, Allen, Sawvell, Swinton and Brooks - to substitute at any time in a game and not miss much as a result of the guy coming off of the bench. I say that although I feel that Cochran, Skinner, Garcia and Collins are clearly the best players. And then there are other players that could have a breakout year as well as McKnight and Jackson. So the future looks bright. Look forward to the season
Loyalterrier

Postby Terrier13 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:34 pm

I would think it's highly unlikely Brooks starts right away. That starting 5 is really small (Cochran is a combo 1-2, Garcia is a 1, Collins is a 2-3, Skinner is a 4, and Brooks is a 1). With that lineup we have virtually no front court presence. We're already a jump-shot heavy team, which adds to our inconsistency when the shots aren't falling, and this would only exacerbate that. Compare that lineup to the Dahlman & Tim Johnson era where we could throw it down on the block and expect a high % shot or, when the defense collapsed to double Dahlman, a dish to the perimeter for an uncontested look from 3. I'm expecting us to see Neumann starting at the 5 with Gordon in the mix for minutes as first big off the bench. I see Brooks probably getting some minutes backing up Garcia, with an increase as the season goes along. Sawvell coming in mid-season at the latest will be a nice add as well with his experience and he could be in the mix for starts by the end of next season. Less than 5 months til tip-off of the roundball- let's get excited Terriers!
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:10 pm

The 2014 roster is up with the incoming freshmen. Curious that Sawvell is listed as a Fr. I thought he would have been a Jr but Fr seems almost too good to be true. Does that mean he has more years of eligibility than earlier thought ? I thought he had part of this year and all of 2015 but that was it. If he is a true Fr then he would have more than 1 1/2 years. I don't get it.

http://www.woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
Loyalterrier

Postby Art Vandalay on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:42 am

Sawvell was listed as a junior when I looked at the roster this morning. Guess someone in the athletic department monitors this board.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Any word on whether any of the new guys are in summer school? Also, do we take a trip this year before the season gets going? That seems to be the new trend.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby ARTerrier on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:05 pm

boulder3m wrote:Any word on whether any of the new guys are in summer school? Also, do we take a trip this year before the season gets going? That seems to be the new trend.

Word is we're going to Costa Rica to play some pro teams there etc, per the WoffordMBB twitter account.
https://twitter.com/WoffordMBB/status/4 ... 5252270081
ARTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Terrier13 wrote:I would think it's highly unlikely Brooks starts right away. That starting 5 is really small (Cochran is a combo 1-2, Garcia is a 1, Collins is a 2-3, Skinner is a 4, and Brooks is a 1). With that lineup we have virtually no front court presence. We're already a jump-shot heavy team, which adds to our inconsistency when the shots aren't falling, and this would only exacerbate that. Compare that lineup to the Dahlman & Tim Johnson era where we could throw it down on the block and expect a high % shot or, when the defense collapsed to double Dahlman, a dish to the perimeter for an uncontested look from 3. I'm expecting us to see Neumann starting at the 5 with Gordon in the mix for minutes as first big off the bench. I see Brooks probably getting some minutes backing up Garcia, with an increase as the season goes along. Sawvell coming in mid-season at the latest will be a nice add as well with his experience and he could be in the mix for starts by the end of next season. Less than 5 months til tip-off of the roundball- let's get excited Terriers!

I now agree with you T 13 that Neumann will likely start; he is showing a lot of confidence and looking good, as are Gordon and the two new big guys. And Brooks appears to be a smart player.

I understand the Costa Rica trip will be about five days and involve about two games - good experience without being too much.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 am

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201408 ... ?p=3&tc=pg Getting ready for Costa Rica; things shaping up.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:33 pm

A couple of things from the SHJ article: First is the last PP-Coach Young saying he couldn't wait to see Karl Cochran on a zip line! The other is the observation that our basketball players are required to be practicing or playing during both holidays and the interim period of January. This trip (and others like it) allow our players the experience of travel to enhance their education. That is an observation I have had for quite awhile, and am glad that our guys get to travel and have some lifetime experiences. These guys go to Costa Rica, the Silicon Valley, NC State and Duke to name a few. Those are experiences that can't be duplicated, and will be remembered by our guys for their lifetimes.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:50 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball