Here we go again

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Here we go again

Postby Ruckus on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:48 am

Reports that Mike Young has been contacted by App St AD Charlie Cobb about job. No word whether he is interested or not. VMI coach also in the mix.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: Here we go again

Postby boulder3m on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:44 am

App offered the job to Bobby Lutz, who turned it down to stay assistant at NC State. App St is a big time dead end in basketball.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:27 am

If he's interested in moving, he can do better than ASU.

The Sun Belt was a one-bid league this year, and with departures of it's best basketball teams, will probably be a one-bid league for many years to come.

ASU can offer more money than we do, but at most would be a lateral move.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:28 am

NO MIKE, NO!!!! I can't really see Mike being interested in ASU, especially considering what he has at Wofford next season. Darn, why can't anyone ever want Coach I? I think we'd gladly ENCOURAGE him to take some other job!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby crabbyterrier on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:52 pm

We can anticipate pursuit of our coaches in all sports when we are so successful every year. I knew as soon as we made the tourny again that people would come calling. We really need for the administration to figure out how to pay our coaches more to ensure we keep them. That translates to all of us stepping up and putting our money where our mouths are or we will continue to be poached!!!

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:49 pm

Check out the article in USA Today about paying athletes and unionization. There is a link that lists NCAA basketball coaches salaries. The top paid coach is Coach K at more than $9,000,000. Coach K is, by all accounts a great leader, and a role model. I have followed him ever since he showed up at Duke in 1980, and am an unabashed admirer of what he has achieved and the example that I think he sets. On the other hand, he is the example of how out of hand the college sports scene has become. We are talking about paying college athletes due to the insane amounts of money that the NCAA is collecting, and the FBS conferences(the five power conferences). when you pay a coach $9,000,000 it seems to scream out that the athletes are getting left out, But, on the other hand, there are thousands, upon thousands of young people struggling to get a degree that wind up with a degree and a tremendous amount of debt. I think that an athlete that gets a degree from any good school without incurring debt is a great advantage. But when you see the amounts of money being paid to the top conference coaches, regardless of the sport, it does raise questions. Most of the schools in the NCAA do not realize the income that the top 20 get, but the landscape is going to severely impact all of them, and I fear, not in a good way. I try very hard not to be caught up in the "mentality of the old days", but am having a hard time coming to grips with the new landscape.
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:54 pm

The article is Special Report-Coaches Hit The Jackpot
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:26 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... e/7208877/

The heart of the problem is the outlandish pay/perks/deals for coaches, athletic administrators, commissioners, and NCAA bigwigs(especially) et al at the top. There should be a hard cap on these amounts; if these guys don't like it and want to continue at the big corporation pay scales, let them work in the NBA, NFL, etc. or other big corporations. The great majority of that money should be benefitting the schools and students, who make it all possible and who are the HEART OF THE ACADEMIC MISSION OF THE WHOLE ENTERPRISE. Players should be afforded enough extra money to participate in the social life of the school, but their current plight would be put into perspective if the pay scales of these coaches,NCAA types, etc. were brought into line. College sports is part of the academic mission, and should be compensated in line with that. It must not be allowed to be hijacked by media and interests of for-profit corporations (which have their places, of course, but not in taking over this important part of the academic environment). Currently it is wholly out of kilter. I see serious change in the not distant future. Will the integrity be there to make it real change?

In the 70's after John Wooden had won ten out of twelve national championships (he was also the baseball coach much of that time), including seven in a row, and was voted the top coach in any sport in American history, after already being in the Naismith Hall of Fame as a PLAYER (later as a coach too), what was his salary at UCLA? $32,500. (Read Seth Davis's recent excellent book on Wooden). His pay was in line with the academic scale at the school. He never considered himself anything but an EDUCATOR, which is what a coach is supposed to be in a college/university. I love sports and admire/respect many coaches, including those I played for, but this situation is completely topsy turvy and must be fixed; it will take some integrity and courage, but it should not be that complicated.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:51 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:Darn, why can't anyone ever want Coach I?

Wow... April Fools was yesterday. An AD inquiring to talk to Interdonato would be a classic April Fools.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby JerseyTerrier on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:03 pm

I wasn't going to post and I probably still shouldn't... but it honestly annoys me when I read the ridiculously classless vitriol thrown at Coach I on this forum. It's beneath you and certainly does not hold the standard for what I believe Wofford Alum should be (and are). Based on your off-based commentary, it's clear the majority on this board who knock him have no idea about the guy at all except from what they heard from some disenfranchised secondary sources. To that end, since I haven't seen it written on this wall before, I played for multiple coaches at the collegiate level and the one I respected the most was - easily - Coach I. I guess this is why I view these remarks as offensive to both current and former players. By the way, the baseball team is now 17-12 with what is BY FAR the most difficult schedule of any sports team in the school.
JerseyTerrier

Postby lawdog on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Thank you for your post, JT - it is good to hear some first hand feedback. I do not know anything about Coach I. I do know that others wanted someone different when he was hired, and I wondered about that myself though I was not personally aware of the details. I also did not like the way our team tended to nosedive at the end of each season early in Coach I's tenure, and at the game or two I saw our team seemed to be low on morale and spiritless. However, when hired Coach I was very young and inexperienced; recently the team has appeared to be playing better under him. Everybody either grows and gets better at a job, or they don't - he has appeared to get better. I hope the team can continue to improve and have a respectable year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:45 am

SInce this thread is about Mike Young and our basketball program, I vote to move all comments on the baseball program and Coach I to the baseball thread where it is better addressed for discussion.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:03 pm

I'd be shocked and disappointed if MY were to leave for ASU. Sure they could probably double his salary but ASU basketball is currently not on par with Wofford. If that right job comes along I think he'd be real interested but I don't see that being ASU. His best friend coached at Chattanooga and was not successful and got fired. Mike has job security at Wofford and a gem of a team next year. I think he'll stay and if next season is as good as we hope then maybe he'll get an offer worthy of his talent. If he does, I'll wish him all the best and be a fan of his forever. He built a program. He has done it the right way. I hope he stays for years and years but if he does leave it will be for a better program. Not ASU which is clearly behind us in basketball despite their rise to the Sunbelt.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:35 am

Reports here are that ASU offered an assistant at Davidson. Fitting.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:17 pm

boulder3m wrote:Reports here are that ASU offered an assistant at Davidson. Fitting.

That is fitting. In typical ASU fashion, whomever they hire will be said to be vastly superior to anything available in the SoCon.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball