Wofford vs. Michigan

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Wofford vs. Michigan

Postby Loyalterrier on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:47 pm

Terriers are gaining confidence. we are still in it. and maybe Michigan has lost a little confidence
Loyalterrier

Postby lawdog on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:18 pm

Our guys played hard, and we should be proud of our defense and composure. However, we would not have defeated many teams shooting like we did tonight. One for nineteen from three point range. Michigan gets some of the credit, but we were simply ice cold all night. Even so, we missed an open shot with 8 minutes left which would have cut it to five ... we still had a chance to win; at that point, it was much like the Elon game.

The future looks bright.
Last edited by lawdog on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:35 pm

agreed. future looks very promising and so proud to be a Terrier right now. tremendous effort.
Loyalterrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 pm

If we had only shot the ball better we would have definitely had a shot. That being said, the team has much to be proud of. I bet we played tougher D on them that some Big Ten opponents. They definitely represented Wofford and the SoCon well. The team coming together in the second half of the season and qualifying for the Dance was amazing- no one expected that out if our team this year. Three NCAAs in five years - a lot of programs are probably envious of that. And with basically tge whole team returning along with some promising newcomers, I think we are favorites next season to get another chance to Dance again! I am also a proud Wofford graduate and as a basketball lover I am already looking forward to next season!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:57 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:If we had only shot the ball better we would have definitely had a shot. That being said, the team has much to be proud of. I bet we played tougher D on them that some Big Ten opponents. They definitely represented Wofford and the SoCon well. The team coming together in the second half of the season and qualifying for the Dance was amazing- no one expected that out if our team this year. Three NCAAs in five years - a lot of programs are probably envious of that. And with basically tge whole team returning along with some promising newcomers, I think we are favorites next season to get another chance to Dance again! I am also a proud Wofford graduate and as a basketball lover I am already looking forward to next season!

Agreed. Very proud.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:13 pm

We had some good looks, but I think we hurried a few shots. We also had more turnovers than usual which is not unexpected against a more athletic opponent. 5% from 3 pt range won't beat many folks. Good effort and something to build on for sure. Considering where we were picked to finish, I say "Well done a Terriers"
Last edited by T-Dog 4 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:15 pm

Little dog, big heart. Our coaches, team and College have nothing to be ashamed of.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 am

Lots of positives in this game: Holding UM to 57 points is something to be proud of. Gordon had a bit of a coming out party. Our kids played hard until the end. As has been said, we shoot it better, we are in it EASILY. We just didn't shoot well which cost us. Several calls went against us which hurt. We competed better on the offensive boards better than I thought we would.
Proud of our coaches and players. Everyone should watch the highlights MY's pregame presser from Wednesday. He talks about Wofford and it's a special place. Folks, this is what it is all about.
Is it basketball season yet?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:25 am

What a fabulous season-and so unexpected. Our guys came lightyears from where they were in November, and the future is really bright. I have one thought, and this is not only for Wofford but the whole Southern Conference. Is there a way to schedule a game on say, Friday AFTER the conference championship between the conference winner and perhaps another conference winner who is idle and waiting for the bids to be announced? Having to lay off for 10 days cannot be good for the SoCon winner.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:52 am

http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2014/ ... ath=mbball Stats, story and video. Well spoken. Gordon did some nice things. Our defense was excellent for the most part. What if ....

Boulder and I sat at the Elon game and saw us in the same place with a few minutes to go that we were last night, down about 11 and having a terrible shooting night. The difference is we hit about five threes late in that game, plus a couple putbacks, which helped lead to stops, and we won that one. Elon is not Michigan, but Wofford is Wofford ... we do our thing well and with this group we can compete with anyone.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... 0/6680039/ USA Today.

I appreciate the complimentary remarks from the Michigan coach and players. Michigan displayed a lot of class before, during and after the game.

With almost everyone back, and three promising new players, we will improve and hopefully continue to enjoy success.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:45 am

Cochran said after the game "Tonight just wasn't our night. We'll probably be back next year and the result will probably be better." It is great to see such positivity. You can bet that Karl, Lee, and our other rising seniors will do everything in their power to not only get back to the NCAAs, but to win on the big stage as well. This will be a team on a mission for sure, and I can't wait to follow them!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:51 am

I also have thought about the longer layoff for smaller conference teams Boulder, since their conference tourneys are a week earlier. It can't be helpful. I like the idea of playing a game with another conference champion to stay sharp. Maybe the week after the small conference tournaments we could play Bracketbusters games. The only negative is risking an injury to your players. But it's a big negative. So a lot of programs may not want to do it.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm

I like your thinking on an extra game. Not sure if there is some sort of NCAA rule in place to block it, but a SoCon/Big South yearly challenge would seem to make a lot of sense. Maybe a neutral site....
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:02 pm

Maybe I am just being overly cynical, but I think the layoff for smaller schools could be a subtle way of giving their big time programs yet another advantage. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a rule in place to keep such a game from being scheduled.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:55 am

I welcome someone that finds the rule that proves me wrong but I believe the reason we (and other smaller conferences) have our tournament so much earlier is so we can be nationally televised, not because of some grand conspiracy on the part of the NCAA. We definitely structure our tourney to end on Monday night so we get the ESPN2 slot that we wouldn't otherwise have if we ended Sunday night instead (to the detriment of fan attendance at times). Please show me the statute that dictates when conferences can host their tournaments and I'll yield the point, but I feel pretty certain on this.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball