Copyrights and cut and paste

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Copyrights and cut and paste

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:52 pm

I hate to be the hall monitor, but we need to not cut and paste newspaper articles and post them in their entirety on terrierfans. The site does not need to be liable for copyright issues. Please cut/paste no more than a paragraph and then put the link to the site/source.

I realize the Herald Journal is restrictive on getting to some of their stuff, but posting it fully here might cause us issues down the road.

Thanks for your help.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Re: Copyrights and cut and paste

Postby boulder3m on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:36 am

Fearless Leader- While I understand the problem and its legal implications, The Hearld could help us out a little by getting away from the "pay to play" game. There are lots of finer publications than the SHJ that freely allow its publication to be read online, rather than the silly censorship they use. Pulling quotes are the only way to get around their system. We understand, but they need to also understand that there are lots of us who have to go to the SHJ for Wofford news and don't want to pay for it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:51 am

boulder3m wrote:Fearless Leader- While I understand the problem and its legal implications, The Hearld could help us out a little by getting away from the "pay to play" game. There are lots of finer publications than the SHJ that freely allow its publication to be read online, rather than the silly censorship they use. Pulling quotes are the only way to get around their system. We understand, but they need to also understand that there are lots of us who have to go to the SHJ for Wofford news and don't want to pay for it.

It is my understanding this is the rule even if the SHJ were free access. It's not about them, as much as it is copyrights and offering proper credit. I would hope that Todd gets some kind of bonus for clicks on his stories/blogs over there. If they are cut and pasted over here in their entirety, there is no way the Journal can compensate him for people who read it here rather than there. I see parallels with artists and bootleg music. (Lewis P. Jones taught me source citation and proper footnotes loooong ago)

Besides, I want to give Todd as many props in the right way as I can. He is a great reporter. Regarding the SHJ, their Wofford coverage still outdistances anything The State does here in Columbia.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:36 am

I wholeheartedly agree on Todd and his coverage. It is sad that the whole print media has gotten into such a mess. That Todd isn't even paid to go on the road and has to cover so many programs is really tough. However, the writing is clearly on the wall for print media, and if they can't figure out how to make money out of the electronic world they will die.
To continue the thoughts about the coverage we get...
How can we be so fortunate to have Todd, Mark, Thom and Lenny working to get the Wofford word out to the faithful? Up here in Winston-Salem I can listen to App and UNCG and Elon, in addition to the Wake, UNC and NC State networks (for some reason there is no one carrying Duke around here-guess they're all in NJ). Our guys can stand against any of them, and are better than many of the big schools. There is absolutely no comparison with Appie and Elon, and I've listened to both (it is open season on them now, isn't it?)
I have an idea for Wofford fans that I am going to pass onto Lenny that involves a package giving access.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:06 pm

This morning I saw The State newspaper ran Todd's article from the Herald in Monday's March Madness section. Good for him!
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball