ESPN2 Coverage

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

ESPN2 Coverage

Postby lawdog on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:32 am

Like many others, I chose to listen to Thom and Mark as I watched the game. How did ESPN2 do with the broadcast? Was it fair, favorable, even-handed, well-done? Would have been nice to let Wendi Nix do some of the coverage.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: ESPN2 Coverage

Postby boulder3m on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:12 pm

I was the same way-listened to Mark and Thom and watched the game about 45 seconds ahead of the broadcast (my wife thinks that is crazy). My friends said the announcers were fair. On another note, my daughter got a message saying that Dan Patrick on his show belittled Wofford. I know the name is fun to mispronounce, and it's easy to make fun of a little bitty school, but our SID needs to feed them a LONG LIST of all of the positives about Wofford. Tell them about Aerris Smith and Brad Loesing and show them Tim on the bench with Kevin. Let them know we have a coach who is dedicated to what he is doing and where he is doing it-not running away for the dollars. Man, we have so much to be proud of...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:21 pm

I think all of our spouses think we are crazy. I did the same listening/watching scheme. In the first half, ESPN was 10 seconds ahead. At the half, I restarted the tuned-in app. For the second half, the radio broadcast was 10 seconds faster.
Speaking of media, we got an article in the LA Times; we get better coverage from California than we do from the State in Columbia. I have come to expect that. If your colors aren't garnet or orange, expect nothing in black and white from The State.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:23 pm

I listened to the Espn guys. I thought they did a very nice job overall. Can't remember if it was Goldwater calling the game but they were very knowledgeable about Wofford and both the basketball and football programs and alluded to the fact that we are the 2nd smallest school in D-I, etc... They were highly complimentary of Coach Young and made mention of the fact that he could probably be at a bigger program but that his family was entrenched in Spartanburg. I thought they were fair and balanced and had some nice stories from the WCU side as well. I love listening to Thom and Mark but the delay kills me so I thought I'd give them a listen.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:57 pm

I listened as well and would wxho ATL's words. Very balanced for both sides throughout.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:06 am

I thought the ESPN2 coverage was fine. A few too many references to "tickets being punched", but I felt it was even and cast both schools/programs in a good light.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:55 pm

boulder3m wrote:I was the same way-listened to Mark and Thom and watched the game about 45 seconds ahead of the broadcast (my wife thinks that is crazy). My friends said the announcers were fair. On another note, my daughter got a message saying that Dan Patrick on his show belittled Wofford. I know the name is fun to mispronounce, and it's easy to make fun of a little bitty school, but our SID needs to feed them a LONG LIST of all of the positives about Wofford. Tell them about Aerris Smith and Brad Loesing and show them Tim on the bench with Kevin. Let them know we have a coach who is dedicated to what he is doing and where he is doing it-not running away for the dollars. Man, we have so much to be proud of...

Sending Dan Partick such a list would likely result in nothing positive. Dan Patrick is and always has been an egotistical jerk who thinks he's right and everyone else is wrong, kind of like ESPN's Colin Cowherd. You will never Change their minds about anything. Dan Patrick once received a call from someone who said "I'm a Royals fan" and he said "loser" and just hung up on him. That is what kind of person we're dealing with. He would probably publicly ridicule our SID on the air for his list. As a matter of fact, I hate people who think only the big programs matter and and all the smaller ones are jokes. The kids at smaller schools are much more likely to be true student-athletes. A lot of kids from the bigger programs don't even go to class. Some are even illiterate. In any event, kids at small schools like Wofford work just as hard and put in just as much time to try to achieve their goals as kids at big schools like Kentucky do. They deserve credit and praise when they are able to achieve those goals, especially when they work so hard and leave it all out on the floor in both practices and games like the Terriers obviously did this year. This team wasn't very good the first part of the season, but they worked their butts off to improve and get to where they are now...no one thought they could make the NCAAs this year but they did what it took to do just that. They deserve a ton of credit for all that. But Dan Patrick will never see it that way.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Like it or not, we are an easy target for ridicule by big time media and these guys who live off of it to the masses in the large urban areas. Much like the Comedy Channel's fascination with S.C. And it's conservative politics. It's a lay up: make fun of the those who are different or who value different things. Lots of people will recognize and on some level appreciate what we are about. But just as many, if not more, will not.
IMO it's not worth our time. It's Patrick's loss. We are a great media story that is becoming more and more rare in this day and age. CBS recognized that in '10 when they did a piece on our first appearance. People are seeing that again with Aerris' interview. We have a lot to be very proud of in Wofford and its culture. Patrick is just showing his ignorance.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:23 pm

You are right Ruckus. There are a lot of people who, through great stuff like Aerris's interview, will realize that college basketball played at places like Wofford is much more pure than the big time conference stuff, much more what it is intended to be. For that, we will gain a lot of fans who will follow and root for us. But unfortunately, many will never be won over. But that's OK. As you said, it's their loss.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball