SoCon Tourney

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: SoCon Tourney

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:45 am

One of these days, I'll learn. I don't know what I was thinking Monday night by not listening to Mark and Thom while watching ESPN. Listening to these 3 snips of the game make me want to go to confession (if I were Catholic). I won't make that mistake again. Having listened several times, most impressed with our fans/students/supporters. They appeared loud!
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Ruckus on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:54 am

As a side note to our SoCon championship and following up on the previous post about the FU board, it might be surprising to some of us to see what our SoCon brethren in purple have to say about us winning. If you want to know why I get physically ill at the thought of losing to FU in any sport, go on the UFFP2 site and just take in their comments about Wofford, Coach Young, and our basketball program. It borders on the ridiculous. I expect arrogance from Davy but at least they have a winning well respected program. But this drivel from FU who hasn't won a thing since the '70s when they were cheating is intolerable.
Also about 2 months ago, the FU rep (anonymous of course) on the SoCon blog roundtable headed by JohnMoc opined that MY was the most over rated coach in the SoCon. Wonder how he feels looking like a complete idiot now.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 am

https://twitter.com/SAWDADDY_ Ryan Sawvell tweets about "my Wofford family." Short-haired Dog.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:08 am

I just spent some time reading posts on the Davidson and Furman sites. The Davidson site is interesting, in that most realize that they totally blew their chance this year. They pin their future hopes on playing in a league with higher RPI ratings and a number of NCAA bids, which will pay them more $. Some were complimentary to us; while others want to keep their "holier than thou" attitudes. The Furman posts were a little less complimentary, with lots of emphasis on our small basketball facility.
I would like to point one thing out that seems to be missed by so many in the conversation about facilities. Wofford has, by far, the most fan friendly accessible facilities for the visiting fans of any conference team. Our BenJo may be small, but where else can you park AT the facility and enjoy such a short walk into the arena? UNCG plays at the Greensboro Coliseum, but that is still a mess. Furman and Elon, for both football and basketball, are ridiculous. No one has yet to show me where you park for a Davidson game, and the small town is a nightmare for traffic.
The tone of both sites seems to be one of jealousy. If they want to be constructive, they should look inward. Davidson-why don't you man up and play big boy football, instead of what goes on there? They might as well play one hand touch below the belt! Furman-what are you smoking over there? One poster says the basketball tournament should be held in Greenville, and another said they should have hired Mike Young for basketball last year. These guys sound like fourth graders!
Here's the bottom line, guys-Wofford has dominated the SoCon in the two revenue sports over the recent past, and of that there is no doubt. Hey Furman, we're getting tired of carrying you!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:02 am

Furman plays basketball? Learn something new every day I guess.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Ruckus on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:16 am

My favorite: they don't want to be like Wofford and just win SoCon championships and go the NCAA tournament to be one-and-done and fade into obscurity for the next year, but a legitimate major conference power like Butler and Gonzaga where they are a respected national power which makes deep runs in the tournament. That's their goal.
.............how about get a winning record (and beating us) first.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:14 pm

It's based on contempt for Davidson, but the Samford board is complimentary.
http://www.samfordbulldogs.com/viewtopi ... 5cdc041912
I can live with that.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:10 pm

I don't know, boulder3m. I didn't pick up on the whininess of the Furman people. If anything, I thought they were mostly complimentary and understandably frustrated about their own program. The poking fun about the BenJo is pretty reasonable, if you ask me...as far as fan and rivalry stuff goes. Seems like they pretty much acknowledge that Timmons isn't such a great place for games.

Far as Greenville for the site of tourney, I think it's not a bad idea. The old Bi-Lo Center would be OK. The size and vibe of the Asheville place (though I can't say, since I wasn't there....) might be better. And I think it's important to keep a link between the state of NC and the SoCon. Still, having the tournament in Greenville wouldn't be so bad for WoCo fans.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:18 pm

I don't think the tournaments in Greenville and North Charleston drew well.

I think it is better to fill a smaller arena than play in front of thousand of empty seats in a large venue.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:15 pm

The tournament should be in a city with no SoCon team-period. Asheville is too close to WCU, but NOT the home town. Greenville, Charleston, Birmingham, Chattanooga or Greensboro are the home towns of league teams, and no one should have a home game. Actually the old Charlotte Coliseum was a pretty good location as well. Asheville is pretty good because it is small, but large enough for the tournament, and the SoCon tournament doesn't get lost in a big city. We would be lost in Atlanta, for example. When we can fill the BenJo up for every game maybe we need to expand. However, in reading box scores from around the league it doesn't appear that anyone else is bringing large crowds for games. What would be the point of building an arena like Davidson and still putting 1,000 people in it?
As for the Furman board, it speaks for itself. Read it and see what you think...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:08 pm

I know that I got a bit miffed with a couple of folks on the Davidson board earlier, but overall across our conference's various message boards there have been far more positive posts concerning Wofford basketball than negative (even on the Davidson board). And the comments about BenJo from Furman are to be expected - they don't really like Timmons and they are looking for someone with a smaller arena to make them feel better- ours is an easy target. The Furples respect what we've done on the court though.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:34 am

I assure you many do not as evidenced by their comments. Such as: Wofford isn't really that good, the SoCon is just that bad; Wofford has to be one of the worst conference champions in the country, the WCU game was one of the worst displays of fundamental basketball, and of course the comment i posted above comparing themselves to butler and Gonzaga while completely disrespecting what we have done. Not to mention the published comment that MY is the most overrated coach in the SoCon.
Look at the Wofford/WCU thread not the tongue in cheek BenJo thread.
Much different than other boards.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:16 am

Ruckus wrote:I assure you many do not as evidenced by their comments. Such as: Wofford isn't really that good, the SoCon is just that bad; Wofford has to be one of the worst conference champions in the country, the WCU game was one of the worst displays of fundamental basketball, and of course the comment i posted above comparing themselves to butler and Gonzaga while completely disrespecting what we have done. Not to mention the published comment that MY is the most overrated coach in the SoCon.
Look at the Wofford/WCU thread not the tongue in cheek BenJo thread.
Much different than other boards.

I went back and read some of this stuff and you are correct. But the thing is, if we aren't any good, where does that leave Furman, since we thoroughly kicked their butts twice? And that's the whole thing right there- they know they had a bad team and the wish they could be in our shoes right now. It's all jealously, like a kid wanting a toy that his brother has. It KILLS them that we are clearly better than them at something. We are supposed to be Little Brother! And those people saying we don't play fundamental basketball obviously didn't watch the games and see the way we play defense or see Eric Garcia's assist to turnover ratio or see Karl Cochran's overall outstanding tournament play. So I take everything on that board with a grain of salt.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 am

Sorry, but I couldn't resist making a comment on the idea of a "lack of fundamental basketball" in the championship game. I often wonder whether some of the so called fans have a clue what fundamental basketball is about. Wofford plays solid fundamental basketball, and that is what has helped us win against perhaps more talented teams. Fundamental basketball is Noah Dahlman's footwork. Fundamental basketball is Tim Johnson working for rebounds. Fundamental basketball is freshman Eric Garcia's assist to turnover ratio. Fundamental basketball is Karl Cochran going from "gunner" to complete player who digs out defensive stops instead of saving energy for offense. The uneducated think basketball is a game that involves players running and shooting. We win because we play defense as well as offense, and the ignorant can't see that. Teams that don't play good defense HATE to play teams that guard them with all their hearts and souls. Do you think the WCU players had more fun running up and down the court and finally outscoring Davidson in a game that produced nearly 200 points, or grinding and fighting Wofford and scoring half a hundred? Over the past 15 years the best team in basketball is the San Antonio Spurs, and they play solid fundamental basketball night in and night out. They pass the ball well and keep it moving; and above all, they play solid defense. Why? Because it wins.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:36 am

Good post, boulder. I think it is the basics, the fundamentals, that both Ayers and Young teach so well. I cannot speak to soccer, baseball, or any of the other sports for both men and women at Wofford, but it seems that a disciplined approach to the fundamentals is what makes the football team and men's basketball teams so competitive and successful.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball