SoCon Tourney

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

SoCon Tourney

Postby lawdog on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:53 am

We have a solid chance to win it. All games on ESPN3, except finals is on ESPN2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_South ... Tournament Brackets, including records and ongoing tourney results.
Last edited by lawdog on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: SoCon Tourney

Postby Loyalterrier on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Yes we can win it but we have to be firing on all cylinders.
Loyalterrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:32 pm

We will first play the winner of UNCG-Citadel, and we know that means we are most likely looking at a rematch from last week. I am pretty sure we will defeat UNCG Saturday night. They beat us in large part due to luck last Saturday and I am fairly certain the Spartans will not be that lucky again. I know our guys will want revenge and will seek it with vigor. After that, we are going to have to play two nearly perfect games in a row to defeat most likely Chattanooga then Davidson. We can do it, but it will be difficult. We must get back to playing the best defense in the conference and we must hit out shots and shoot a decent percentage from the line. That all sounds obvious, but it is our recipe for success and has been for some time. And of course the more our defense can give us easy shots on the other end, the more chance we have of hitting our shots.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Watching Upstate play Mercer right now. I already hate the Bears.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 pm

Mercer is good, no doubt. But despite their RPI, I just don't think they are as good as Davidson. No way could Upstate hang with the Wildcats.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:14 pm

Mercer loses a ton of production from their graduating seniors though so we'll see if the rebuild or simply reload.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:00 pm

And Citadel is gonna hang on to beat UNCG so we've got our work cut out for us- Citadel shot 53% from 3 so you have to expect that will drop off tomorrow, especially if tired legs become a factor.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:54 pm

We can't forget that the Bellhops took us to OT at our place. Must come out aggressive and active.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:28 pm

I also remember beating them by 21 in their place. The coaches will have our team ready.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Darn! I wanted UNCG again! Does anyone else think that beating us gave UNCG the big head and they simply looked right past Citadel? Anyway, despite the fact that we will be a heavy favorite tomorrow, beating a team three times in a season can be tough. Hopefully they don't make over three quarters of their shots in a half against us, because if they do we will probably lose. And then I just might go totally batty- I know I'm already at least halfway there.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:07 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:37 pm

lawdog wrote:Read p. 2 first, then p. 1.
http://www.goupstate.com/article/201403 ... ?p=2&tc=pg

Boy oh boy! I can just see it now! If we happen to lose this game, the excuse "we just ran into a hot team" will appear on this board and in the newspaper as well. Well any self respecting Wofford player, coach, or fan should know that such an excuse would not fly at all! I mentioned before that it is hard to beat a team three times in a season. That is true when you are talking about good teams. But join me on a little facts check here. We are playing a team that lost its first 14 conference games. A team that spent pretty much all season ranked just a spot or two removed from rock bottom of the D-1 RPI rankings. A team that has still only won 4 D-1 games all season. Need I go on? We should beat this team 100 times out of 100. The bottom line is that there is no viable excuse for Wofford to lose this basketball game tonight. Even if you think The Citadel is hotter than the flames of Hell itself. Good basketball programs don't lose games like this, plain and simple. If we lose, I and other Wofford fans I know (that do not post here) would consider it a major choke job. Unfortunately, first round chokes in this tournament are a definite part of this program's past. I am hoping we are at a point in the program where we are past that now.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:11 pm

I wish Coach K and Boeheim had been listening and thinking about this--They wouldn't have lost to Wake and Boston College--They need to be thinking about how to make their programs into good ones instead of losing to bad teams--I hope that you have been talking to coach Young--We sure need to get him on board with this--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:36 pm

Wow. Just seeing Chatt lost
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:58 pm

fgs44 wrote:I wish Coach K and Boeheim had been listening and thinking about this--They wouldn't have lost to Wake and Boston College--They need to be thinking about how to make their programs into good ones instead of losing to bad teams--I hope that you have been talking to coach Young--We sure need to get him on board with this--

That was in a run of the mill regular season game, not in a winner take all tournament. I bet Coach K and Boeheim will have their guys ready for the NCAAs and their teams will not go quietly. I stand by my post. There is no viable excuse for Wofford to lose tonight. NONE. And for the record, NC State and Wake are ACC programs with solid histories. They are a hell of a lot better than The Citadel.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball