Saturday's games: Go Terriers and Go Mountaineers!

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Saturday's games: Go Terriers and Go Mountaineers!

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:30 pm

If we can take care of business at home vs. UNCG Saturday and ASU can go on the road and upset Chatty, we will be the 2 seed in the tourney! I hardly ever root for ASU in anything, but I will be Saturday! I LOVE college basketball and I can't wait for Saturday!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Saturday's games: Go Terriers and Go Mountaineers!

Postby boulder3m on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:23 am

I really don't think it matters whether we are 2nd or 3rd seeded. If we take care of business we will probably have to play Chattanooga in the Semis. Only the jersey colors will change. Our guys would love another shot at them. First we need to play solidly against UNCG on Saturday, and I hope the fans will turn out like they did for the last game. Then we get a bye and will find out who we play in the second round of the tournament. You Spartanburg area folks round up some friends and head for the BenJo on Saturday. The UNCG coach is a really good guy, but I hope we whip their tails.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Good point boulder. The odds are that in order to earn the championship, we will have to go through Chattanooga and Davidson no matter where we are seeded. A higher seed might mean less of a chance to be upset in the second round though.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Davidson waxed UNCG last night, but UNCG has played well on occasions this year and won some big games. They have some talent, to be sure. I hope we do not make the mistake of letting up on them.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Terriers lead 38-29 at the half. It could be a bigger lead but we have left quite a few points at the line. Our defense hasn't been as stout as I've seen it before- UNCG has gotten inside on us a number of occasions. Perhaps that is something we will correct in the second half. A great crowd is here- perhaps the biggest of the season. The students are here in full force.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:00 pm

We are dead. Tonight's second half might be the worst we've played at home in a long while. And what happened to the DEFENSE? I thought that was our calling card. I can't believe this happened tonight. I am stunned.
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:10 pm

Give them a lot of credit. They did not give up and played lights out in 2nd. And I have not given up on my Terriers. We are still in good shape. Although we have to forget about this one and regain confidence. If we don't then we might not do well in the tournament.
Loyalterrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:16 pm

I am trying hard not to give up. But tonight was difficult. Again, I am just stunned they came in our gym and beat us down the way they did in the second half. We played like we had given up, like we had no pride. They outplayed and out hustled us- that is what is so shocking and disappointing.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:15 pm

I was there. We didn't give up. In fact, we had a shot to tie it up. They played great, we didn't. It won't happen again next Sat.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:22 pm

I was classic sports. We had it a little too easy in the first half. We got a lead and let down. They got hot and hit everything they threw up for awhile. Once again we fought back and played great to get in a position to tie or win at the end. It didn't happen for us. Nothing lost. Our guys will be ready next Saturday. They did what they needed to do in the final week of the season.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:33 pm

If nothing else, I hope we get UNCG again Saturday so we have a chance at redemption. Ending their season would be very satisfying. Then anything that happens after that is gravy this year. On the other hand, if we let them (or a team similar to them in the standings or worse) beat us again, this season ends for us with a lot of question marks as far as I am concerned. But the truth is, even though losses like tonight hurt my heart, I will still support this program until I die. GO DOGS!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:51 pm

They shot 78 % in the second half. We shot 12-22 from the line - 54.5%.
http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2014/ ... ath=mbball
Last edited by lawdog on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:04 am

I know I said UNCG figured us out earlier, but looking at the number I have done a complete 180 and totally changed my mind about that. 78% is abnormal for the Globetrotters. So in other words, if you look inside the game, they basically beat us due to pure luck, plain and simple. They will not repeat that shooting performance again. I am chomping at the bit for the chance to play them next Saturday. I hope to goodness we draw them. No way do we lose to them. They don't stand a snowball's chance in Hades. Our guys will be thirsty for Spartan blood to be doggone sure, as well as revenge and redemption!

PS- If you are a UNCG supporter reading this who thinks I am dissing your team right now, you are right. You beat us with luck and I seriously doubt you can do it again. It was a case of the proverbial blind squirrel finding an acorn. If you want my respect, then prove me wrong. Shoot 70%+ again and beat us again Saturday. Then you will have my respect. But I'd be willing to bet the mortgage that one week from now that UNCG Spartan Nation will be lamenting the end of their season at the Terriers' hands. So prepare to get bit in the butt by a fightin' mad pack of short-haired dogs!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:11 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball