@The Citadel: dangerous game?

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

@The Citadel: dangerous game?

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:11 am

One would think Wofford would be a huge favorite against The Citadel. After all, the Terriers are on fire. The Citadel took Wofford to overtime last month, but Wofford was nowhere near the same team then as they are now. In contrast to Wofford, The Citadel is in a free fall. They are 4-21 overall and 0-10 in the SoCon and have lost 13 straight games, last winning on December 18 against Brevard College. They have beaten one D-1 team all year (it was PC). And yet...I can't help but feel nervous about this game. If we go in there and keep our recent intensity up and play our game on defense we should be OK. But this is the type of game where that sometimes does not happen, because it might be difficult to get up for the game, the crowd might be sparse and dead, and we might have a tendency to want to take them for granted. I think we will find a way to get it done though. Our team has transformed into a veteran group that knows how to handle its business.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: @The Citadel: dangerous game?

Postby ShortHairedDog on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:44 am

Very dangerous game. The Citadel always plays us tough. Very physical and aggressive, to the point of almost "chippy". The good news is, I don't see them shooting the three like they did at the BenJo last month. Hopefully we will shoot well and play a little tougher on the perimeter. Like you said, this is not the same Wofford team!
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:21 pm

I agree. We've got to keep the momentum going. Last night at about the 15 minute mark it was like a switch turned on and we shut them down defensively. We need that kind of effort every night which I'm sure is difficult. This team may be a year away from being really special but if they play like they did the last 15 minutes of the game last night, anything is possible. Hope they can bring it tomorrow night and keep the train rolling.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:26 pm

It appears that free live video of the game is available at this link, 7:00 p.m., tomorrow, Feb. 8.
http://client.stretchinternet.com/clien ... Type=video

If I am incorrect, audio available at woli-am.com.

The cadets will be filling the place up and there will be a lot of Bellhop emotion in the air. We need to play hard and well from the outset, or we will not win. The Bellhops will really want this win; will we?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:12 pm

The website that thee game video link goes to sucks. First off, if it's free then why do I need to put in credit card info? Are they planning to steal from me? Secondly, even thought I (perhaps foolishly) went ahead and entered a card, it spit back "there is a problem with this page". So I can't watch the game on my IPad. Why is it that the Southern Conference doesn't have a site like the Atlantic Sun or the Big South where you can watch all the games free and easy from your Ipad?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Well I guess I'm limited to radio. But the good news is that the Terriers are off to a very good start. 22-8 T-Dogs with 11:25 to play in the first half. It looks like we came out serious and businesslike just as we needed to.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:26 pm

27-8 now 10:39 left. Keep it going!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby danmontg on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:55 pm

I have tried everything I know to access Citadel's "free" streaming of today's game. So far all I have received is a video of a previous Wofford - Citadel game but nothing for today's game despite being billed for a game, presumably the archived game I briefly saw. I wish they would get their act together. At least I can listen on WOLI.
danmontg

Postby jorober18 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Yep, no let down tonight so far... Go Terriers!
jorober18
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:07 pm

It doesn't work, danmont. People on the Citadel board were complaining about it too.

Wofford leads 45-24 at the half. Eric Garcia lead the way with 14 points, just one away from his career high. Karl Cochran had 9 points, 5 assists, and 4 steals. Lee Skinner with another strong game so far with 9 points and 6 boards. The only negative is Spencer Collins went scoreless, picking up two early fouls.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Wofford wins it 77-56. Interestingly, Spencer Collins never scored in the game. You gotta kind of wonder if that's the first time he's ever played in a game without scoring in his life. Lee Skinner had yet another double double with 18 points and 12 rebounds. He is becoming quite, dare I say it, Dahlmanesque. Karl had 15 (with 8 assists), Eric Garcia 14, Jaylen Allen 10, and Justin Gordon and CJ Neumann had nice efforts with 8 points apiece. A great team effort and a very solid road win.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Great road win by 21. Not the same Terrier team that played the keydets last time they met. I think this squad is coming together nicely just as coach anticipated. 8-3 conference record and six straight Ws ain't too shabby!!
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:15 pm

lawdog wrote:
The cadets will be filling the place up and there will be a lot of Bellhop emotion in the air. We need to play hard and well from the outset, or we will not win. The Bellhops will really want this win; will we?

There were almost no cadets there tonight. It was a lot like what you'd expect from a team that is 0 for the conference. Flat from beginning to end. We imposed our game on them from the get go. Won by 21 and it was never really closer than about 15 points the whole night. Good team effort. Cochran and Skinner played really well. Neumann looked good as did Gordon, Swinton and Allen. Did not shoot FT's well tonight, but thankfully it did not matter. Will need to tighten that up before the tourney.

Go T-Dogs!
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:55 pm

Back in the day, the cadets virtually always filled up their gym - I think they were required to attend. Guess that has changed.

http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2014/ ... ath=mbball Cochrane had 8 assists and one turnover, and five steals - wow. Boulder's recent observation is right: Cochrane has developed a complete game and is making everyone better. All our guards are playing well too, Garcia with confidence and Allen getting better every day. Gordon had 8 points and 6 rebounds in 13 minutes. Skinner apparently a beast.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:45 am

Nice!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball