The Conference Standings

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: The Conference Standings

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Art Vandalay wrote:
Eyes of Old Main wrote:By contract, Mercer is leading the A-Sun and ETSU is middle of the road. VMI is tops in their division of the Big South. SoCon basketball shouldn't drop off too much aside from the the loss of Davidson's name recognition. I doubt our conference RPI will be much different next year than it is this year.

Will anybody actually miss Davidson? Sure, they have name recognition, and some good runs in the tournament, but Mercer more than makes up for them, and, and, and, they play football!

Of all the recent departures, Davidson is the one we might probably still play on a somewhat regular basis. We are similar schools in that we are both small academic-oriented liberal arts colleges. But more than that, McKillop and Mike Young/Richard Johnson have known each other for a long time and are on good terms. We used to play Davidson as a D-2 program when I was a Wofford student (McKillop was then just starting to build that program there and we beat them once). Besides, though DC has been maligned on our board, they still present a good pre-conference challenge and quality game for our guys that we can use to get better. But as far as not having DC in the conference, I think the SoCon will manage just fine without them.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:12 am

ASU and GSU are both primarily football schools. Neither has a great basketball tradition. ASU routinely wins the Commissioner's Cup because they fully sponsor more sports than anyone else in the league. The College of Knowledge was never the basketball power they were promoted to be. Although we were eligible for fewer conference championships, we have twice as many SoCon titles as they do.

I will miss Davidson, however. Although Mercer is currently ranked much higher in the RPI than Davy (#72 vs #151)
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:45 am

Tough loss against Davy. So what does this mean as far as our potential seed in the tourney? If we win out, is 3 seed the best we can do?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:13 pm

Yes a tough loss but an expected one. Let's face it, Davidson has a better team than us. Also we mainly beat teams in the lower half of the conference standings during our nine game win streak- one has to keep that in mind. It is going to be exceedingly difficult if not impossible to finish higher than 3rd now. For starters, chatty would have to lose out- not happening. Basically the Elon game is for 3rd place, It is not going to be easy to win against them on the road. It could definitely happen, as we have a good enough team to do it, but we are assuredly an underdog there. I'd say we have a 30-40 percent chance of winning. I think our most likely scenario is 4th place and a second round game against 5th seeded WCU. Or if we lose out it is no different. If we end up 5th, we still play WCU. That will be extremely tough up in Asheville. There is Little if any chance of us finishing lower than 5th, so I think we have the first round bye locked up. Should we win at Elon, things are a lot better. Then we will get to play a team we will be a nice favorite against in the second round, probably some one like GSU or UNCG (whoever is 6 seed and beats 11 seed Citadel in the first round). But no matter what happens I am tempering my expectations in Asheville. I just don't know that our team is ready to win the tourney this season. Next year, however, could be our year.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:01 pm

As discussed earlier in this thread, the game tonight against UNCG meant nothing in the standings. Of our final 3 games, the only one that really mattered was the one that we won. As the 3rd seed we will play a team we will be favored against in the second round on Saturday night. Our guys need to rest up and get healthy and be prepared to play 3 in a row. Our game was the only upset tonight, and the others went about as expected. Maybe the WCU loss was unexpected. Go back to the beginning of the season and see whether ANYONE picked Wofford to finish above the middle of the league-and most picked us at the bottom. We have one and maybe two First Team All Conference possibilities, and a nominee for Freshman of the Year. We will lose one tough senior, but we pick up some pretty good recruits. Our guys play smart and hard. Have they overachieved? I'm not so sure that this was not just another slight of Wofford by the media and the other coaches. Mike Young certainly deserved votes for Coach of the Year. With the changes in the conference next year I would say we are in a great position to get back to the NCAA Tournament. With some breaks we could get there this year. Guys, Wofford Basketball is strong, and a fine representative of our school.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball