The Conference Standings

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

The Conference Standings

Postby boulder3m on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Everything went pretty much as expected tonight, with Elon hanging tough and the other pretenders falling farther behind. Who knows what Samford was thinking when they decided to run with Davidson at Davidson. When last seen it looked like an NBA score and a big D win. Sammy is sinking in the west. Chatty and Davidson appear to be pretty much locks for the first two seeds, with Davidson looking like no competition for first; and the third place position is with us, WCU and Elon. We play Elon at their place on the 24th and still have to go to Davidson. We also have a couple of other road games that will not be easy. One game at a time for us. We need to continue to pick off those road wins.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: The Conference Standings

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:21 pm

Is Chatty getting shaky? We crept closer to second place tonight.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:30 pm

We almost beat Chatty at their place. The way we are playing now, I am quite sure we could beat them. We might even be able to hang with mighty Davidson.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:36 pm

It seems like before Chatt played Davy the Mocs were very confident. I had the impression that they - the Mocs - felt that they would give Davy all they could handle and had a good chance against them. But after the thrashing they received the Mocs have faltered. Don't think any of their players are injured. I think they just had their confidence completely shattered as a result of the loss to Davy. B-ball depends a lot on confidence and if you lose it, it is difficult to get it back. I agree that if we played the Mocs now that we would win even at their place. At the BenJo the margin would be even bigger.

Also a note about Davy. They beat FU by 15 points at their place. FU is 1-9 in the SoCon. I was surprised that the margin was not much more than 15 since Davy is so dominant and they were playing at home against one of the bottom dwellers. So maybe Davy is loosing their swagger too.
Loyalterrier

Postby youngterrier on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:24 am

I think at this point we don't need to worry about how dominant one of these other two teams because it's clear that every team in their conference has flaws that can be exploited, including us.

I think we'll be competitive for the rest of our regular season/conference tournament schedule.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:37 pm

Our guys' job is to take care of business. Try to win every game, and then let's see where we stand. We have a chance for a very good seed.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 pm

No surprise that all three conference games are postponed tonight, and 1-3 already for tomorrow night.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:27 pm

As was suspected earlier, the battle for third for us comes down to the game at Elon. If we take care of business with the other games, the game at Davidson is not really crucial as long as we go up to the last of the losers leaving the conference and beat them. Even if we tied with Elon in wins and losses, we win the first tie breaker. Vice versa, lose and we are fourth. We have to win the games we are supposed to win, and knock off Elon. Why not beat 'em all and leave no questions?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:35 am

Out of curiosity, i just checked out the CAA standings. Cougars not doing so well. :D
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:55 am

Georgia Southern and ASU will likely bring up the rear of the Sun Belt next year- in most sports.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:12 pm

By contract, Mercer is leading the A-Sun and ETSU is middle of the road. VMI is tops in their division of the Big South. SoCon basketball shouldn't drop off too much aside from the the loss of Davidson's name recognition. I doubt our conference RPI will be much different next year than it is this year.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:21 pm

UNCG took Western to OT but couldn't pull of the upset.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:By contract, Mercer is leading the A-Sun and ETSU is middle of the road. VMI is tops in their division of the Big South. SoCon basketball shouldn't drop off too much aside from the the loss of Davidson's name recognition. I doubt our conference RPI will be much different next year than it is this year.

Will anybody actually miss Davidson? Sure, they have name recognition, and some good runs in the tournament, but Mercer more than makes up for them, and, and, and, they play football!
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:By contract, Mercer is leading the A-Sun and ETSU is middle of the road. VMI is tops in their division of the Big South. SoCon basketball shouldn't drop off too much aside from the the loss of Davidson's name recognition. I doubt our conference RPI will be much different next year than it is this year.

I know there is still a lot of basketball left next year and we still have a chance to do some great things this year, but I am really looking forward to basketball next year. To the schools that have recently left/are about to leave the conference, I say good riddance! I think we got three very good new schools. Mercer has built a very strong mid-major program, and VMI will be tough as they bring an exciting run-and-gun style of basketball to the league (in sharp contrast to our half court, defense first style) that SoCon teams may find hard to adjust to. ETSU is a bit down now, but they have a nice tradition of basketball success there and I'm sure they will be a factor sooner rather than later. Also, we will be down to only one non-football school (UNCG, which really doesn't make this to there advantage in basketball like the departed schools did). Western Carolina and Chattanooga are going to be tough again- they have good solid programs. And then there's us. Mike Young has really made us a relevant program in the conference and we will definitely be one of the favorites to win the league next year with our great nucleus of returning players as well as some promising recruits/transfers. But if we do win it, we will have earned it. Even this year's bottom feeders, Furman and The Citadel, have a number of promising young players and should be better next year.

I also like the fact that we will have an even number of teams in the conference again, making scheduling easier and more fair. I like even more that we will play each of our nine conference opponents both home and away. No one will have a schedule advantage over anyone else. Also, I would bet that we will have a Thursday/Saturday (or Monday/Saturday or Wednesday/Saturday) schedule for conference games. I would suggest each team have a travel partner as follows: Wofford/Furman, Mercer/Citadel, VMI/UNCG, WCU/ETSU, Chatty/Samford to further ease scheduling as well as travel costs. In summary, I know I can't speak for everybody but I love the new look SoCon! It will be a great mid-major basketball league.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball