Recruiting 2014 Class

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Recruiting 2014 Class

Postby Ruckus on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Just saw that we have offered Grant Benzinger (6'4" SG) from Moeller High in Cincinatti.
Attached is a highlight tape from the National AAU championship game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z46sijUxTE
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: Recruiting 2014 Class

Postby Atldog7 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:45 pm

I wonder if any relation to former Cincinnati Red Todd Benzinger??
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Yep, seems to be per my Yahoo page. Good catch, Atldog.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Reminds me of Kevin Giltner - good shooter, nice presence. Now, we need to develop some of our big guys to be more effective inside (which could happen), or recruit one.

Same high school as Terry Martin.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Does this mean that MY is confident in our big guys to get it done ? If he was not of that opinion then it seems he would have gone after a big guy. and i think he does feel good about the big guys. there were a few games this past year when Gordon and Newman showed some potential. and so i myself feel fairly confident in them although not supremely confident. there is some doubt but i feel more confident in them than otherwise. But I am certainly not a basketball expert. so I welcome my fellow Terriers to voice their opinion - whether contradictory or not.

Go Terriers !!!!!!!
Loyalterrier

Postby dude on Sun May 05, 2013 11:07 pm

What's the news?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Any recruiting news?

My understanding is that Jerrell Byrd is transferring. That would open up a scholarship and possible playing time on the wing. A guy with size in the post would still be a major plus.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Looks like 6'7" PF Alex Thompson from Houston Academy in Fla. has decommitted from Stetson. WoCo, Winthrop, Gardner Webb, Campbell, and WCU are all in the mix. He will make a decision by the end of the month.
http://www.wtvy.com/sports/headlines/Ho ... 74741.html

Note the spelling error.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:23 pm

My understanding is that Jerrell Byrd is transferring

Wow. Another transfer? This sure has been happening a lot at Wofford lately. I makes me wonder if Young and staff are recruiting the correct type of guys for the school, or if something is going on to make guys not want to stay with the program.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am

Legitimate question that needs to be answered as we have a had more than our share wash in and out of the program (some of that is the nature of "big time basketball"). However, in this instance, I hope it is simply a function of playing time. Spencer Collins is the real deal and budding superstar who will carry us over the next 3 years. With Collins at one wing and Cochran at the other, a lot of PT is just not there for Byrd. It makes sense he would be disappointed about it and want to play more.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:27 pm

I think it's a few things.

Mainly, it seems to me that you can get into a little bit of a vicious cycle: You've graduated a bunch of good players (the Noah Dahlman, Tim Johnson class.....), so you've got to sign a large class. You also need guys who can play right away. That may mean there's a logjam within the same class for playing time. It also means that if certain guys don't pan out pretty quickly, they are likely to be recruited over.

A guy like Jerrell Byrd is a pretty good example, I think. He clearly had potential and, indeed, had some good moments. But he wasn't ready to command a starting role. In comes a freshman, Spencer Collins, who gets most of the minutes at that position and likely will until Byrd would graduate (since he's a class behind Byrd). Had Byrd come in as a freshman and played two years behind an upperclassman, then maybe he could have been groomed slowly for a starting role. By his junior season, he might have been in good shape for a lot of playing time. Instead, there's been this huge need to bring in a lot of players at once -- and players who can get things done early on. Again -- more likelihood of a personnel logjam and guys getting recruited over, seems to me.

Nonetheless, this is worrisome, I think. There have been too many guys leaving, in my opinion.

In addition to the aforementioned issues, it may be that Wofford signs a lot of guys in the late period who have only recently popped on the radar. That may mean that those players haven't visited the campus as much as others, haven't bonded with the coaches as much as others, aren't as committed to attending Wofford as others (perhaps WoCo was a late option after they didn't get an offer from a bigger school, for example). Maybe the coaches haven't had as much time to really vet academics, character, etc.

Nonetheless, to lose a budding star like Nathan Parker after he's already been in the program for two seasons is troubling. To sign a local guy like Josh Corry and see him leave school before ever playing a regular season game is troubling. Bryan Harris this past season -- I think the coaches were pretty excited about signing him, and the guy left after one semester.

While Byrd's situation is unfortunate -- with his size and athleticism, I think he still could have really helped the program -- but it's fairly understandable. Corry, Harris, Parker....those are real head-scratchers and more worrisome to me.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:29 pm

As a student, I might be able to shine a unique light on this. I had heard Jarell was unhappy about his lack of playing time the past two years, especially after he played a fair amount early in his freshmen year, so hearing he's transferring, while discouraging, isn't completely surprising.

Parker missed a lot of his sophomore year because of academic issues (athletic dept cited injuries but he wasn't eligible for a healthy portion of the season). The final straw was a failed drug test in the Spring of 2011, according to a friend that's very close to (i.e. plays on) the basketball team. The athletic dept again kept it quiet so he would be able to transfer somewhere without raising concerns at his new program.

Corry transferred because he got into a fight with freshmen football players early on in the year. He apparently never really recovered from that and wasn't able to have the right mindset to play college ball at Wofford at that time so he left to supposedly get his mind straight but he obviously wasn't able to make it work and come back.

Not sure what happened with Hickson and Harris- with the new PG Garcia coming in and Cochran already playing combo guard, maybe Harris saw the writing on the wall but I'm not sure. Feel free to take this down if everyone feels this is too "speculative" because I'm certainly not trying to impugn the honor of the guys that play for our team. Just trying to fill everyone in on what was pretty widely known around campus for why some of these guys didn't work out. Not sure if this speaks to a problem with the program or we've just had a bad streak where personalities aren't meshing with the Wofford atmosphere.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Thanks Terrier 13, that is helpful. The fact is that we have a talented and experienced starting group returning, and a good recruiting class is shaping up. The key will be whether the returnees will work to improve over this year - develop mental and physical toughness, and consistency and perseverance. The returnIng senior and juniors need to show leadership as well, like Dahlman, Diggs, Loesing, Johnson, et al did. And I think at least one of the new recruits will play a lot.

A successful team needs six reliable and experienced talents, and we have that. Time will tell.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:33 pm

My comment on 'big time basketball' was intended as an inference that "The Wofford Way" and foundation of our program and MY may run contra (IMO) to the expectations of some kids we bring in. Just my opinion, not based on any fact or concrete example.

P.S. Lawdog, we expect a full report of your sojourn to Scotland.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:27 am

Looks like we have offered PG Ore Agundade (6'2")from Illinois.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball