App Game

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

App Game

Postby lawdog on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:02 pm

The game Saturday is important, as our first conference game and we have some momentum from the Air Force tourney win. App squeaked by Furman this week, so we should have a good shot, esp. if the young guards keep doing well and Junior steps up. Godzinski and other upperclassmen shooter types hopefully will step up too.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:09 pm

PS Would really like to see Matt Estep get hot. He beat App almost by himself a couple years ago.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:32 pm

I am looking forward to this game. It is a great chance to get off to a 1-0 start in the conference. I think we'll do well. But if not, I hate to say it, but the old "doubt" is going to start creeping in about our ability to compete in this conference. If we can beat Air Force on the road and do it fairly convincingly, then we should be able to win our share of Southern Conference games, especially at home.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Sparklepup on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:52 pm

Hope MY shows his players a replay of the last few minutes of the football game with ASU this year. A little revenge via the hardwood would be nice.
Sparklepup

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:00 pm

We are a 1-point dog in this game, even with home court. Never mind the fact that we have won 3 straight, including an impressive win at Air Force, and ASU barely could squeak by Furman. I think that's wrong, but I guess our past history and basketball reputation in the SoCon precedes us here. We're just going to have to go out and prove that we can win in thios league this year, starting with tonight! And I do really hope that the loss of the ASU football team today will have some effect on their basketball team! Let's make it a doubly horrible day for the Mountaineers!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:10 pm

App was picked by some to be pretty good this year, so it would be a nice win for us.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:20 pm

A VERY tough loss.

Wofford played a brilliant second half up to near the end. Erased a 16-point deficit and actually took the lead with great defense and nice teamwork. It was really exciting.

We missed a couple key shots near the end. There were two EXTREMELY questionable (I thought) blocking calls against us that gave ASU important free throws near the end.

And that was that.

I don't think we're a team that's going to over-power many teams. And ASU is a pretty good team -- got some really big dudes. We're probably not the most talent-laden team in the conference. But I really thought our guys played hard and played together, and that's really positive....and we're young.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:21 am

Thanks for the observations, dude.

Sounds like we were not so good in the first half and came on strong late. Hopefully we can find a way to learn to get close wins instead of close losses as the season progresses.

How does Matt Estep get 18 (on 6 of 6 from 3-point land) two years ago at App, and not scratch last night? Hope he is not injured.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:12 pm

We were TOTALLY dominated in the first part of this game. We looked like a middle school team out there trying to play a college team. The ASU bench was laughing at us. This is why we lost this game...we got off to a horrific start, expeneded a huge amount of energy coming back, then had absolutely nothing left in the end. It was nice to see the guys battle back, but in order to win SoCon games against quality teams, you have to be able to play and compete for 40 minutes, and we simply did not do that. Neverthe less, the team showed me something erasing that deficit, and maybe as this young team matures, they won't have spells like they did to start this game.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball