Wofford beats UNC-Asheville 74-69

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Wofford beats UNC-Asheville 74-69

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:00 pm

IT was a tough, close game throughout. It was not a work of art by any means, but both teams played hard. We had some chances to pull away, but UNC-A came up with some steals to keep us from doing so. It wasn't the greatest game we've played by any means. But we'll take the win. We hit some big free throws late to seal it, which was a very encouraging sign. And I really like our freshmen guards. I also like the way that Drew Crowell's game is progressing.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:04 pm

Just a follow-up comment...UNC-A beat Liberty convincingly earlier, and tonight Liberty knocked off Virginia. So perhaps this is a pretty good win for the Terriers.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 pm

I think it's a really good win. Like Air Force, I think UNC-A is a team that's not much different from the teams in our league. This is a pretty good test, I think, for th eSoCon season.

We made some mistakes in the stretch, but my guess is that's a mark of a really young team. We pretty much are playing two freshmen at point guard. We did make some plays to put the game away, though, and that's good to see. I think Tim Johnson is mighty impressive, though it would be great to see him improve on the free throws.

Congratulations to this young team on a tough win.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:26 pm

Right now, Tim is the only member of the team that's really struggling on the free-throw line. What's always been a perrenial Achilles heel might actually be a strength this year.

But Tim is still a great inside presence who will really help the team. I'm starting to like this team. We have young players who are continuously developing, so we should only get better. It's also nice to know that basically the whole team will be back next year, too.

The next game is a big one, the conference opener vs. Appalachian State on December 6. I hope we have a big crowd out for that one to support the team. Game time is 7, but is subject to change should the football team advance to the second round and play at that time.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Sounds very encouraging. Hope they can stay upbeat through a long season.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby beacon_fan on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:34 am

Enjoyed the game tonight. I thought we played tough almost the whole night. UNCA was doubling our point across half court, and both of our freshman point guards really struggled at times. Johnson and Dahlman are both really tough inside.
beacon_fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:17 am

Yes, the young point guards did struggle some at times and had a few turnovers, but they have both shown the ability to score. They both can hit 3s and are solid free throw shooters. Their ball-handling, defense, and passing skills will get better with experience. The future looks bright for these young men, as long as they stay healthy.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball