Basketball practice started

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Basketball practice started

Postby billkelly57 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:56 am

Basketball practice started last night
Has anyone heard anything about the new signees and freshmen? Any help at Point guard or shooting guard from this new class.
billkelly57
Junior Terrier

Postby Sparklepup on Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:29 pm

Don't know specifics about the Freshman but I did see Mike Young yesterday evening before the practice and he mentioned that everyone was healthy going into practice this year for the first time in a long time.
Sparklepup

Postby dude on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:01 pm

What I hear is that our point guard situation should be OK. That's speculative until the season begins, of course, and I would think that it'll be tough to replace Drew Gibson, who was one of the Southern Conference's top point guards last season. But the word I hear is that we'll have someone there who is solid.

I think there are reasons to be optimistic. A number of factors will be key, I think:

Can Junior Salters have an all-SoCon kind of season? He's athletic and tough. He can score in a lot of ways. But with Shane Nichols in the line-up Salters hasn't been looked to for tons of scoring. Can he shoot consistently and be a go-to type scorer?

How will Corey Godzinski play? He seemed to come on stronger towards the end of last season. Not particularly quick, but with his height he doesn't have to be too sleek in order to gain advantage.

How will the young post guys develop? There seems to be plenty of talent there, but we'll see. Noah Dahlman and Tim Johnson could be among the better inside players in the league, but both are still developing, I think. The development of Drew Crowell could be a key, as he's our only legitimate 6-9 type. He could really help if he's ready.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Not a center listed on the entire roster.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:36 pm

TURKEYCREEK wrote:Not a center listed on the entire roster.

Have we ever had a center since Daddy Neal?
BossTerrier

Postby lawdog on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Tyler Berg had some good games. The roster of 15 has ten guards plus a 6-3 forward. Next year looks pretty good, with two excellent transfers (Diggs and Rundles) sitting out this year, and everyone else a year older. This year we look a little inexperienced at guard. Need to recruit a little more height, but our inside guys are tough and play hard.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby i77cat on Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:40 am

Davidson's roster last year had no center listed. UNC's roster has no center. Many schools (probably most) only list guards and forwards now.
i77cat

Postby Rowdy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:16 pm

i77cat wrote:

Davidson's roster last year had no center listed. UNC's roster has no center. Many schools (probably most) only list guards and forwards now.

Just curious, do you guys play football over at Davidson?
Rowdy

Postby i77cat on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:34 pm

Hilarious.
i77cat

Postby Rowdy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:07 pm

i77cat wrote:Hilarious.

No, not Hilarious. I asked the question because I only see you Davidson guys post over here when Basketball is on the horizon or the BBall season is on us. You never seem to post anything about Football. Perhaps it's because you don't play real football? How did the game with Pembroke, whatever that is, go this year? One last time ................. You are in the SoCon .......... Play SoCon football for God's sake.
Rowdy

Postby dude on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:23 pm

Why the bickering about football?

I'm not a Davidson fan, and I understand the argument that DC probably has enough money to fun a D-1 football program.....and without it, they can concentrate resources in basketball in a way that Wofford can't come close.

Still, the situation is what it is, and in my opinion it benefits Wofford to have Davidson in the SoCon.

Well, anyway -- I'm looking forward to Terrier basketball this season. I'd be interested in any reports about how the team appears to be taking shape.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:43 pm

dude wrote:Why the bickering about football?

Still, the situation is what it is, and in my opinion it benefits Wofford to have Davidson in the SoCon.

Dude,

I'm not advocating Davidson drop out of the SoCon. They just need to ante up and play SoCon football like the rest of us who field football teams. We'll discuss Greensboro and C of C later.
Rowdy

Postby i77cat on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:08 pm

No, Davidson has no such need. I doubt you are in much of a position to evaluate the needs of Davidson.

I said "hilarious" to try to imply that you were only joking. The other options (that you are really that uninformed or that you are a jerk) didn't seem polite.
i77cat

Postby Rowdy on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:57 pm

i77cat wrote:No, Davidson has no such need. I doubt you are in much of a position to evaluate the needs of Davidson.

I said "hilarious" to try to imply that you were only joking. The other options (that you are really that uninformed or that you are a jerk) didn't seem polite.

No need to get your undies in a bind. If Wofford didn't play football in the SoCon, I'd be as defensive as you seem to be.
Rowdy

Postby i77cat on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:04 pm

No binding here. No defensiveness. So, were you really curious about whether or not we play football at Davidson? I doubt you are really that uninformed. I'd like to see Davidson return to playing Southern Conference football, but I seriously doubt that it will happen. Southern Conference football certainly doesn't need Davidson, and Davidson doesn't need Southern Conference football. The current situation seems to meet everyone's needs. Why are you dissatisfied with it?
i77cat

Next

Return to Men's Basketball