cam rundles and cory johnson

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

cam rundles and cory johnson

Postby Newest Terrier Fan on Thu May 01, 2008 11:03 pm

i just got this google alert tonight...thought you folks might be interested.
http://tchoops.blogspot.com/2008/05/cameron-rundles-and-cory-johnson-select.html
Newest Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri May 02, 2008 8:50 am

According to the internet, Rundles is the one transferring to Wofford, from the University of Montana. He was Big Sky Conference Freshman of the Year his freshman year, and started 13 of 30 games last year. He was pretty heavily recruited out of high school. Looks like our football win in the frosty north paid dividends....thanks Coach Ayers. He will have to sit out a year, and then have two years eligibility. Looks like a very good player.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri May 02, 2008 9:07 am

Since Johnson is going to Valpo, I hope that means Ty Whatley is coming back. We have some good talent down low, but not much height. Ty Whatley is steady and offers some excellent shot blocking ability....we need him (and he is also a quality kid). I think he just got a little exhausted last year. Also, I think Davidson's success gave every SoCon team more profile with recruits. Could be an interesting year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri May 02, 2008 1:48 pm

That sounds great. Maybe the win against Montana did, indeed, help. But it also seems that the guy is a friend of Noah Dahlman from MN.

I'm sorry that we didn't get Cory Johnson, as well. But I do think we have some very talented young post players. However, I don't think Tyler Whatley will be back.
dude
True Terrier Fan

transfers

Postby mjtorg on Sun May 04, 2008 11:59 am

I know that Cam Rundles is transferring to Wofford and that Cory Johnson is going to Valpo. Heard a rumor that Jamar Diggs is also going to Wofford. He's a freshman guard (6'2"), came from De Lasalle HS in Minneapolis - played with Rundles. I'm sure Dahlman is familiar with both of them. Rundles gives the impresssion of being a bit cocky and was in quite a scoring slump last half of the season. Diggs is supposed to be quite a scorer, played for Wayne State last year (for whatever that's worth).
mjtorg

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun May 04, 2008 8:24 pm

Nice blog post about the Rundles transfer and a little note about him:

http://tchoops.blogspot.com/2008/05/cam ... elect.html
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon May 05, 2008 11:25 pm

While it's always nice to get some new talent, it seems like Coach Young has decided to go for the quick fix with transfers. I wonder if this is because he's being pressured to win soon, or because he's admitting that we can't stock a full team with High School talent? Hopefully these guys just needed a change of scenery and aren't coming with loads of baggage.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Tue May 06, 2008 8:46 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:While it's always nice to get some new talent, it seems like Coach Young has decided to go for the quick fix with transfers. I wonder if this is because he's being pressured to win soon, or because he's admitting that we can't stock a full team with High School talent? Hopefully these guys just needed a change of scenery and aren't coming with loads of baggage.

Eyes,

that is a pretty short sighted, unresearched comment, which is uncharacteristic for you-Shane Nichols was a transfer from St. Peter's, and was one helluva guard for us.

I don't think this has anything to do with being unable to recruit or we're going for a "quick fix." It seems a good kid was available and Young jumped on the opportunity.
BossTerrier

Postby dude on Tue May 06, 2008 10:12 am

Yeah, I don't know that team of 50% transfers is what you want. But a guy from time to time who can fill in a gap -- or a player who is just a stud and can make a real difference -- can really help.

I hope Cameron Rundles is one of those players who can help us get into the upper levels of SoCon play.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Tue May 06, 2008 11:13 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:While it's always nice to get some new talent, it seems like Coach Young has decided to go for the quick fix with transfers. I wonder if this is because he's being pressured to win soon, or because he's admitting that we can't stock a full team with High School talent? Hopefully these guys just needed a change of scenery and aren't coming with loads of baggage.

I'm not sure I understand the "quick fix" statement when these guys coming from division 1 programs have to sit out one year. And that year sitting on the bench, how is that paid for? With our limited scholarship money? The guy would have to be a real catch before I brought him in and hopefully he will be.
Rowdy

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat May 17, 2008 12:09 am

I understand that Wofford has had succseeful transfers over the years, both recently with Shane Nichols and also in the past. I'm not even totally opposed to bringing one in every now and then so long as it's not the UTC hardship type of thing.

I stand by my assertion that transfers are a quick fix even though they sit out a year. It might not be as quick as taking a FBS transfer in football, but it still is bringing in a player that has experience as opposed to one that doesn't. Particularly since we've been redshirting about half our high school recruits recently (no stats on that, but it seems that way). I just don't want Wofford to become one of those schools where the fans sit back every off season and salivate over next season's prospects because of the group of stud transfers we brought in.

As I said, I hope all Rundles needs is a change of scenery. If Coach Young sees something in him, then I am OK with that. But, as I have stated before, I support the basketball program fully right now, but I think it is reasonable that we see some progress (winning season, more competitive in conference, more consistent play, etc.) or it may be time to think about going in a different direction because we can not be waiting on the next season's potential forever.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue May 20, 2008 11:02 am

Any word on additional spring recruits?
dude