what Davidson just accomplished....

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

what Davidson just accomplished....

Postby dude on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:03 am

It's really pretty amazing. A Southern Conference school making it one play from the Final Four. With Davidson's academic standards and exposure (or lack of it, playing in the SoCon), it's simply very, very impressive.

This isn't to say I'm much of a fan of Davidson. I've gotten tired of hearing how great Bob McKillop is and all that; until a couple years ago, Wofford was beating Davidson on a fairly regular basis. I remember our beating his team when we were still D2. And we've got high admission standards, too, and a much smaller budget for basketball.

Still, they really did it this year. Quite an amazing accomplishment. For a liberal arts college to be in that mix, again, is really something.

Congratulations to the Wildcats.

And I hope they're success will have some positive spillover effect for the Terriers.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:19 am

Wofford lost three times to Davidson by an average of 27 points. Hopefully that gap can narrow next season.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby 94cat on Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:35 am

Thank you for the kind words. We are all very proud of what the guys accomplished. It's been quite a 10 day ride.

Also, it's been great to see so many of the SoCon fans from other schools expressing their support for Davidson during the NCAAs. While we may all fight amongst ourselves, we seem to be somewhat like family when one of our own is going up against the big guys.

Great win against Purdue earlier this year, too. The SoCon really had some big wins against BCS conference schools this season.
94cat

Postby lawdog on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:01 pm

I concur that Davidson deserves hearty congrats. Many of us felt all along that they were not a fluke, and they proved us right.

Shows how far a team can go if it gets one great player/ leader, a good supporting cast, and coaching that assures smart and consistent play. Without Curry, Davidson was still a good team, but no way they make it through the league undefeated or go so far in the playoffs.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: what Davidson just accomplished....

Postby TDOG21 on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:38 pm

Congrats to Davidson as well. They represented the Southern Conference well throughout the tournament.

I am not sure I agree with Dude. I think McKillop is all that. He runs one the best under the radar basketball camps and his ability to find great talent (Ian Johnson, Winters, Curry, etc.) is remarkable. However dude, I would be curious to see some Wofford-Davidson stats. I have only been following the series for the past ten years, and it has been fairly lopsided.

One thing I noticed is that Davidson has a fair number of foreign players. Wofford does not recruit internationally, I wonder if this is area of basketball talent that Wofford should explore, especially for 4s and 5s.
TDOG21

Postby dude on Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:16 pm

Well, Bob McKillop is obviously a very good basketball coach. I didn't mean to suggest that he's not. Even if he'd gone 0-for-whatever over the last decade, just accomplishing what they've done this year would be worth considering him a remarkable success.

I guess I'm just not a fan of his style. And I will say that while the overall series is probably somewhat lopsided, we were holding our own with DC fairly well until recently, I think. And I do remember our beating McKillop's team at Belk Arena while we were still D-2.

As for recruiting, yes, Davidson finds some talent. McKillop may be better at scouting talent than our coaches are. I don't know.

But unlike Davidson and Furman, I'm not sure that our budget allows our coaches the opportunity to recruit Africa and Europe. Could our coaches get involved in camps and seminars over there? I don't know. But when your recruiting budget is a fraction of the competition, it's not as easy to track down and reel in the talent. By the way, my understanding is that Wofford recruited Stephen Curry. I don't know how far it got, but my guess is that Benjamin Johnson Arena somewhat pales in comparison to 8,000-seat Belk Arena and the prospect (if talk was underway when Curry was being recruited) of having "home" games in Bobcat Arena against Duke and UNC.

Still, Wofford's managed to recruit some very talented players in recent years -- they've mostly had their careers altered by injury. Justin Stephens and Eric Marshall weren't at Stephen Curry's level, but they were MIGHTY talented SoCon players. Because of injuries, both didn't get to show what they could do over the course of their careers. Howard Wilkerson, too, was a stud. He missed half of a season and I suspect was slowed his senior season.

Well, anyway, not sure this is the place really to re-hash all that. Again, congratulations to Davidson. For a small college -- a "college," not "Such-and-such University" -- to be in the Elite Eight, one shot away from the Final Four, is pretty darn amazing.

And as a Wofford person, I think we can especially appreciate that a school like Davidson -- with nowhere close to open admissions for athletes -- did what they just did. They really struck a high note for academics and athletics.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby NCTerrier on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:35 pm

I think what Davidson did for its students to go to Detroit for the games was outstanding. That was is my favorite story by far from this tournament. To me, that is what college athletics should be about.

Kudos to Davidson. Their run brings everyone in the SoCon more exposure. I also see that Curry has decided to stay, wisely I think. That hurts everyone in the SoCon. When he is on, he is impossible to stop. Hopefully, he will forget how to shoot over the summer. Wishful thinking I know.
NCTerrier

Postby johnb on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:17 am

It was a great run by the 'cats and it was good for the SoCon.
johnb

Postby i77cat on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:00 am

In McKillop's tenure, he's 14-6 against Wofford. 1 of those losses was in the 2000 conference tournament, 4 were at Wofford, the home loss was 12/19/90 when Wofford was not D1 and Davidson was scuffling around in the Big South. Davidson has won 9 of the past 10 meetings and 5 in a row. The loss in that stretch was at Wofford on 2/11/06, Davidson's last road loss to a conference opponent. So prior to that run of 9/10, Wofford was 5-5 against Davidson during McKillop's years and 4-3 while both schools were in the Southern Conference. Wofford always plays Davidson tough.

Curry coming back doesn't hurt the rest of the conference. The whole conference will get increased media exposure. He'll be on everyone's pre-season all-America lists. When a Southern Conference team knocks Davidson off, it will get plenty of ink and film.

Thanks for all of the support during our magical run.
i77cat

Postby NCTerrier on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:31 pm

i77cat wrote:Curry coming back doesn't hurt the rest of the conference. The whole conference will get increased media exposure. He'll be on everyone's pre-season all-America lists. When a Southern Conference team knocks Davidson off, it will get plenty of ink and film.

I said it was bad for the SoCon that Curry is coming back, but it was not a knock on him. I meant it was bad for the conference because we all had to find a way to stop him. A bad joke lost in translation.
NCTerrier

Postby i77cat on Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:47 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to sound defensive. In the short term it may be bad for the league. Ultimately, the best thing for the Southern is to turn into a multi-bid league. The most logical way for that to happen is for the team on top to stay there (suits me for the present) and have several other teams reach or surpass them. Gonzaga dominated the WCC for years. This year they got 3 teams in the Big Dance. I hope the Southern can pull off a similar feat.
i77cat

Postby NCTerrier on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:00 pm

Very true. Based on this year and Curry coming back, if Davidson again dominates the league (which it should) but loses in the tourney on 09, this is a 2-bid league. Don't not see anything negative there.
NCTerrier

Return to Men's Basketball