Expectations and Direction

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby dude on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:08 pm

Had Wofford fired Rick Gilstrap a couple years earlier, that would have been after his FIRST season. I think his team won about 4 games that year. Not great, but should he have been fired after just one season, winning a few games? But after that first season, things spiraled WAY downhill quickly -- back-to-back one-win seasons (or was it two wins?). Wofford moved Gilstrap on his way after just three seasons, which is pretty expeditious, I'd say.

Again, I think there are a number of variables with our basketball situation, and I respect a variety of viewpoints. I just don't think the Gilstrap era speaks very directly to our what's going on with Wofford basketball currently.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:29 pm

dude wrote:Had Wofford fired Rick Gilstrap a couple years earlier, that would have been after his FIRST season. I think his team won about 4 games that year. Not great, but should he have been fired after just one season, winning a few games? But after that first season, things spiraled WAY downhill quickly -- back-to-back one-win seasons (or was it two wins?). Wofford moved Gilstrap on his way after just three seasons, which is pretty expeditious, I'd say.

Again, I think there are a number of variables with our basketball situation, and I respect a variety of viewpoints. I just don't think the Gilstrap era speaks very directly to our what's going on with Wofford basketball currently.

Gilstrap's tenure sure seemed longer! What a low point in Wofford athletics.
Rowdy

Postby NCTerrier on Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:01 pm

I remember that Davidson game... homecoming if memory serves me right.

I also seem to recall Wofford being ranked in the NAIA poll in 85. Not sure the circumstances there, but I came to look at the school and took in a game my senior year in high school. I remember getting something in the mail prior to that touting that ranking. My memory may be pretty crusty on this - I barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning.
NCTerrier

Postby dude on Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:35 pm

Yeah, things got pretty brutal there for a couple years. In 1982, Wofford was an NAIA powerhouse (with Mike Ayers as an assistant coach). But 1986 and 1987, it was a bad, bad scene.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:38 am

Being a member of Gilstrap's first recruiting class and a freshman in '85, I have a far too distinct memory. We were in fact ranked in the top 20 after the first 3-4 ball games however we slid after that point but played everyone close especially The Citadel where we were up on them in the 4th quarter. The worst deal that year was the loss to PC in Clinton after leading the entire game and fumbling on a sweep with 40 secs left to go in the game at their 25 yard line. They kicked the game winning field goal with 20 secs left. After that it was all downhill. The Gilstrap situation was far different than our b-ball program now and there really isn't any comparision other than underperformance; although the Whatley deal makes me wonder.
I will say however that while Gilstrap was a poor head coach, he was a good offensive mind and knew the game. I'll never forget getting on the bus to Charleston for the Citadel game and him throwing out the game plan and installing a brand new one on the bus on the way down there. He inherited a program that was in complete disarray with some players that weren't necessarily keeping with Wofford's stds for student/athletes. He lost respect of the players and was generally disliked and was a pariah before it was over; but while he made a lot of mistakes, Gilstrap at least cleaned up the program and recruited some good guys that were the stepping stone to MA's success as evidenced by the 4 game improvement in wins in 1988.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:12 pm

I meant to start this thread off with a bunch of questions and let it go for a while to see what happened, but I got busy and stayed away longer than I meant to. Upon returning, I think the thoughts posted here are fantastic. This is perhaps the best discussion on where we are and where we are going that I have seen in quite some time. Kudos to all involved!

As for my thoughts, I supported MY openly for quite some time, but last year I started to question things and this year I am now openly questioning things even more. I think MY has had ample time to produce results, yet he hasn't. I know he's a loyal employee of the College and has been here many years. For that service, I am in favor of giving him one more year to show suitable progress or be replaced.

I am not saying he should pack the stands or win the SoCon, but I think it is completely reasonable to say he should win 18-20 games and finish .500 or better in conference. That would show improvement and hopefully be the start of a more positive trend. The losses aren't even the problem, its the apathy and the inconsistency. Whether he is a great guy or not, at some point, he is in a results-based line of work and he will either need to produce those results, or yield his position to someone else.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby FollyDog on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:35 pm

The Bottom Line.
Enough is enough. It's time for the Athletic Adminstration to inform the public if MY will be retained for the next season. The answer will allow the Terrier Fan Base to move on.
FollyDog
Terrier Pup

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:52 pm

I don't think MY will be removed unless pressure builds to an unbearable level within the big money supporters.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby NCTerrier on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:37 pm

If MY was going to be removed, it would have already happened. We need time for a national coaching search.
NCTerrier

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball