Expectations and Direction

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Expectations and Direction

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:03 pm

Well, now that the season is over, it is time to ask the question of what should Wofford fans expect from the basketball program and where is the current direction headed?

Should we be satisfied with the product that has been put on the floor?

Should we be thinking of a coaching change?

Is the problem funding, or does it go deeper?

Are we really about to turn the corner?

Is it the coaching staff's fault that the team collapsed down the stretch?

Is it a facilities problem?

What should be done?

These questions and more are swirling around the men's basketball program. What does everyone thing about where we are going, where we have been and what needs to be done?
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Re: Expectations and Direction

Postby beacon_fan on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote: Should we be satisfied with the product that has been put on the floor?

No we should be better. However we did finish with the most wins since becoming D-1.

Eyes of Old Main wrote: Should we be thinking of a coaching change?

Personally, NO. However I know others on the board would disagree.

Eyes of Old Main wrote: Is the problem funding, or does it go deeper?

I do believe that this is our biggest problem, but there ARE others.

Eyes of Old Main wrote: Are we really about to turn the corner?

We have 3 very talented young freshman, and 1 sophmore. However I have no idea what we are going to do for a point guard and a small forward next year.

Eyes of Old Main wrote: Is it the coaching staff's fault that the team collapsed down the stretch?

Sure, for a part of it. However a lot rests on the players shoulders as well.

Eyes of Old Main wrote: Is it a facilities problem?

With recruiting? very mush so.

Eyes of Old Main wrote: What should be done?

I'm walking out the door, and this will take a while to answer. I'll get back to this tomorrow. seriously.
beacon_fan

The Data

Postby jorober18 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:22 pm

Wofford Under Young
2002–2003 Wofford 14-15 8-8 T-3rd (South)
2003–2004 Wofford 9-20 4-12 5th (South)
2004–2005 Wofford 14-14 7-9 5th (South)
2005–2006 Wofford 11-18 6-9 5th (South)
2006–2007 Wofford 10-20 5-13 5th (South)
2007-2008 Wofford 16-16 8-12 4th (South)
Wofford: 74-103 (Overall) 38-63 (Socon)
jorober18
True Terrier Fan

Postby FollyDog on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:36 am

One of the concerns appears to be the game preparedness. You never know which team will show up. The motivated team or the lose by 10. The defense appears inconsistent with not a lot of variety in attack formations presented to opponents. Several D2 opponents kept the record at 500, but the conference record has not shown an improvement trend since RJ left. The recruiting seems to be okay though there's a big hole at guards now and we need a really big guy-but that hasn't changed in years.
FollyDog
Terrier Pup

Postby mjtorg on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:45 am

Desperately need a big man (maybe a JUCO or transfer). Dahlman's a good high school post player but would be better suited at PF in D1. I think with what is coming in we could be okay at PG and SG, although PG could be a problem. Need a transfer or more development at SF. I don't think it's the coach or the venue. Just need to play together more and with what we have now stay more with man on defense. I'm certainly not an authority but just adding my 2 cents. Also, since I mentioned Dahlman, maybe could entice his older brother and his roomate from MSU, neither is playing much there.
mjtorg

Postby dude on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:46 pm

The point guard question is HUGE for next season. I think Wofford has signed a kid they're pretty happy about. But to rely on a freshman at p.g. is dicey.

It would be great to have another athletic guy on the wing. At the same time, I think Corey Godzinski may be developing into the kind of inside/outside wing kind of player who is really valuable.

I think Drew Crowell may surprise some people in the paint next year. I think he's got a chance to be pretty solid. And it's great to have the athleticism of Noah Dahlman, Tim Johnson and Terry Martin in the mix.

I think outside shooting and point guard play are probably our biggest concerns next season.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:12 pm

you folks are way to optimistic. The real truth is the team coming back won't win more than 10 or 11 games.

I am the biggest Terrier fan out there...but in this case I'm just stating reality.
BossTerrier

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:06 pm

I think the record to concentrate on is the conference record. Six years without a winning conference record and 25 games under .500. How many years left on MY's contract?
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:27 am

TURKEYCREEK wrote: How many years left on MY's contract?

I think that can be answered by asking another question...how many years left on RJ's Contract? As long as he is there the job is MY's.
BossTerrier

Postby NCTerrier on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:05 pm

Yes, we won 16 games this year, best ever since the move to DI. Great job guys. But the reality is we lost 16 games, played poorly down the stretch and, forget that we lost by 30+ to Davidson in the SoCon quarters, we only scored 49 points in a Division I basketball game with the season on the line. Take nothing away from Davidson - when the brackets come out, someone will be sweating hard when they see the Wildcats opposite them. I feel the past is very indicative of the future, which means next year we might upset one of our DI opponents, we will inflate our win total against some stout NAIA competition, finish around .500, then have this exact same discussion at the end of the season. We keep doing the same thing, get the same results, yet continue the course and expect a different outcome. If I could see some change in attitude or philosophy, I could live with things as they are. However, I do not see it.

If there was some track record of success, I would not be for a change at the top. But, it was pointed out before, and I am also not confident this will happen as long as RJ and MY are a tandem. So, I guess we are doomed to repeat history.

Now, I did not mention scholarships, funding, etc... We all know that is a big problem in basketball, as well as other programs. Whoever leads the team, be it MY or someone else, will have to overcome those issues. That problem will not be solved overnight. Despite the obstacles, you would hope our cagers could break .500 at least once in six years. I am sure everyone here was at least optimistic of that fact when MY took over.
NCTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:37 pm

Personally, if .500 was our floor v. our top/best performance, I wouldn't have an issue. With our size, funding etc., we cannot realistically expect top of the league performances every year (although we do in football). But there is no way I will be convinced that we cannot at least every 5- 6 years compete for the top few spots; and certainly not winning half our games being our best effort. I can live with losing if we are improving or at least we are playing with intensity and at the top of our ability. I haven't seen that in quite a while at Wofford.
My biggest problem is that losing, the acceptance of losing, and the failure to do all the things necessary to win becomes a culture; just like winning and preparing to win does. You have to break that cycle at some point, some way. It's not the kids' fault. It starts with the leadership of the program. Although not my first choice (but then who asked me), TI appears to be turning things around in baseball. Coincidence?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:51 pm

not to get off subject here, because I agree with everything Ruckus has said, but I would not use TI as an example of "turning things around" just yet.

So far we are 9-3. Great!

Through Mar 17 last year, we were 16-5, against similar competition.

The rest of the season we were 9-26, until the tournament run.

I'd be happy with .500 ball in conf play and a 4 or 5 seed in the baseball tournament, then I'd say he turned it around.

Does seem to be a different attitude, however, and I like that. But let's wait on the results.

Keep it up, Terriers!
BossTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:57 pm

Agree. Note I used "appears to be turning" as in "the process of" as opposed to "has turned" which denotes completion of the job. Still a long way to go. BTW - I would not use the record this year anyway as any litmus test to any real progress. 2-3 years from now will tell that tale.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby johnb on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:04 pm

Eliminate football scholarships and Wofford would then be able to put all the resources into basketball just like 3 of the 4 SoCon semifinalists this year .

And both finalists in 2007 and the champions in 9 of the last 11 years.

Not a coincidence.
johnb

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:33 pm

johnb wrote:Eliminate football scholarships and Wofford would then be able to put all the resources into basketball just like 3 of the 4 SoCon semifinalists this year .

And both finalists in 2007 and the champions in 9 of the last 11 years.

Not a coincidence.

No one expects us to be Davidson or win championships every year. But a competitive winning record and an occasional Run in the tourney like Elon this yr or Furman a few years ago would be nice.

Again, like Ruckus said, it's attitude and demonstrated improvement that we all want. I just don't see it on the hardcourt.
BossTerrier

Next

Return to Men's Basketball