Question

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Question

Postby Rowdy on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:19 pm

OK guys. In Richard Johnson's last year as B-ball coach, Mike Young was the Asst. Head Coach. On the staff was an older African American gentleman who had been a head coach at a Pacific Coast college sometime in his career, and at the time, I believe, owned a fast food franchise in Spartanburg (perhaps a McDonalds). Now this is just memory, but it seems we did very well when he was on staff. Now for the question, when Mike Young was named RJs replacement, it seems this African American gentleman disappeared from the scene, at least on game day. Anyone know anything about this, who was he, why did he leave, and would he have made a better head coach than MY?
Rowdy

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:12 am

That's an interesting question. Though Wofford seems to value loyalty over ability in most cases, athletically speaking.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Re: Question

Postby beacon_fan on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:47 am

Rowdy wrote:OK guys. In Richard Johnson's last year as B-ball coach, Mike Young was the Asst. Head Coach. On the staff was an older African American gentleman who had been a head coach at a Pacific Coast college sometime in his career, and at the time, I believe, owned a fast food franchise in Spartanburg (perhaps a McDonalds). Now this is just memory, but it seems we did very well when he was on staff. Now for the question, when Mike Young was named RJs replacement, it seems this African American gentleman disappeared from the scene, at least on game day. Anyone know anything about this, who was he, why did he leave, and would he have made a better head coach than MY?

His name was Bob Johnson. He owned 2 McDonalds in Spartanburg. During his time at Wofford he only worked part time, and wasn't in the office as most coaches would have been. During the middle of that season he purchased 3 McDonalds in Florence, SC and moved with his wife down to that area.

He did coach up at Washington a while back and claims that he actually passed on giving John Stockton a scholarship. He always told that story and it was a good one. In my opinion he was one of the classiest people I've ever met and I was very sorry to see him leave the staff. However this had nothing to do with the Richard/Mike switch. As I'm sure you all can guess, owning a chain of McDonalds pays a bit better than an assistant coach at Wofford. I saw Bob about 2 months ago and he is doing very well.
beacon_fan

Postby beacon_fan on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:55 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:That's an interesting question. Though Wofford seems to value loyalty over ability in most cases, athletically speaking.

While I at least partially agree with you, this wasn't the case in this instance. Bob would never have been considered. He didn't come to Wofford to coach, and then buy a few McDonalds. There were McDonalds for sale in Spartanburg and so he purchased them. He then asked Wofford if he could coach part time, due to his love for coaching. I could be completely wrong, but I'm not even sure he was paid to coach. His full time job was fast-food and he was only at Wofford during his off time.
beacon_fan

Postby Rowdy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:28 pm

As I'm sure you all can guess, owning a chain of McDonalds pays a bit better than an assistant coach at Wofford. I saw Bob about 2 months ago and he is doing very well.

I'm sure it pays more than the head coach at Wofford. Glad he's doing well. And thanks for answering my question. I knew one of you guys would have the answer and that question has been on my mind for some time.
Rowdy

Postby Rowdy on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:41 pm

beacon_fan wrote:
Rowdy wrote:OK guys. In Richard Johnson's last year as B-ball coach, Mike Young was the Asst. Head Coach. On the staff was an older African American gentleman who had been a head coach at a Pacific Coast college sometime in his career, and at the time, I believe, owned a fast food franchise in Spartanburg (perhaps a McDonalds). Now this is just memory, but it seems we did very well when he was on staff. Now for the question, when Mike Young was named RJs replacement, it seems this African American gentleman disappeared from the scene, at least on game day. Anyone know anything about this, who was he, why did he leave, and would he have made a better head coach than MY?

His name was Bob Johnson. He owned 2 McDonalds in Spartanburg. During his time at Wofford he only worked part time, and wasn't in the office as most coaches would have been. During the middle of that season he purchased 3 McDonalds in Florence, SC and moved with his wife down to that area.

He did coach up at Washington a while back and claims that he actually passed on giving John Stockton a scholarship. He always told that story and it was a good one. In my opinion he was one of the classiest people I've ever met and I was very sorry to see him leave the staff. However this had nothing to do with the Richard/Mike switch. As I'm sure you all can guess, owning a chain of McDonalds pays a bit better than an assistant coach at Wofford. I saw Bob about 2 months ago and he is doing very well.

Oh, Beacon. I forgot to ask. Did you mention to Bob that we could use a couple more scholarships and that would make a great legacy for him and McDonald's?
Rowdy

Postby beacon_fan on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:54 pm

Rowdy wrote:Oh, Beacon. I forgot to ask. Did you mention to Bob that we could use a couple more scholarships and that would make a great legacy for him and McDonald's?

forgot to mention that. I'll make sure to do so next time I see him.
beacon_fan

Return to Men's Basketball