Wofford vs. Appy

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby Rowdy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Ruckus wrote:Glad to see the experts have identified that it was in fact the lack of those infamous 2 scholies which accounted for the 30 point differential v. Appy, a team we beat earlier in the year...........without those 2 scholies. Oh yeah, never mind we had all 11 scholarship players healthy and playing too.
Interesting logic.

So one loss proves your point? Get real! Of course we didn't play up to potential at Appy. But this team has been much better than the conference average and part of that reason has been no season ending injuries. Yeah, Nichols and Dalhman have had problems with injuries this year, but they came back and are still playing. In years past, we've had injuries and they were out for the year. And being 2 scholarships short (that new math excepted) we suffered with walk-ons filling in. And yes, they were walk-ons. You can drink the Kool Aide all you want about us being Wofford and deserving to win, but we are short handed in a tough conference. And we will be until we get 2 more scholarships and a few more dollars for recruiting.
Rowdy

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Stewie Griffin wrote:According to my old college friend, who studies bracketology, Wofford has a good chance at hosting a first-round NIT game against the Miami Hurricanes-as long as we win two games in the Socon Tourney.

The game will most likely be on ESPN 2 if it happens...postseason at the BenJo?

This has GOT to be a joke.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:36 pm

We play football in the toughest FCS conference in the country with the 3 time NC and we are 10 plus scholies behind with a much smaller budget. SoCon baseball is probably the most competitive sport top to bottom and we are at the bottom in scholies and budget. Yet strangely enough we hold the current SoCon trophies in both football and baseball despite these equal or greater disparities. Hmmmmm. Tell me again whose drinking what and who should get real?
Until we quit whining and crying and using excuses about what we don't have, we will never win anything even with full budgets and max scholies.As was posted earlier, there are no moral victories.Accepting mediocrity is not the Wofford way. Accepting failure is not either.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:03 pm

Ruckus wrote:We play football in the toughest FCS conference in the country with the 3 time NC and we are 10 plus scholies behind with a much smaller budget. SoCon baseball is probably the most competitive sport top to bottom and we are at the bottom in scholies and budget. Yet strangely enough we hold the current SoCon trophies in both football and baseball despite these equal or greater disparities. Hmmmmm. Tell me again whose drinking what and who should get real?
Until we quit whining and crying and using excuses about what we don't have, we will never win anything even with full budgets and max scholies.As was posted earlier, there are no moral victories.Accepting mediocrity is not the Wofford way. Accepting failure is not either.

Mike Ayers is God's gift to Wofford. I truly believe that. Without him and his coaching philosophy, we would be a perennial bottom dweller in the SoCon. Coaches like him come along once in a lifetime. Especially when you look at what we pay coaches. The Baseball story is one of many proportions, not the least of which was the move to fire Coach Traylor by many of you. Everything came together in the SoCon tournament and Wofford won it all. That may never happen again and was inconsistent with how the team played before the spectacle in Charleston.

I've always said that when we are able to play other teams on an even playing field, we could then judge how the coaching staffs are doing. Now go back to your Kool Aide.
Rowdy

Postby NCTerrier on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:02 am

Rowdy wrote:I've always said that when we are able to play other teams on an even playing field, we could then judge how the coaching staffs are doing.

I asked this question before and never got an answer... We all agree that scholarships and funding are problems surrounding all of Wofford's athletic programs. Until the financial issues are resolved, does every coach get a free pass? If not, then how should we judge our coaching staffs under our current situation?
NCTerrier

Postby JoMo on Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:20 am

[quote="Stewie Griffin"][/quote]According to my old college friend, who studies bracketology, Wofford has a good chance at hosting a first-round NIT game against the Miami Hurricanes-as long as we win two games in the Socon Tourney.

The game will most likely be on ESPN 2 if it happens...postseason at the BenJo?[/quote]

The school with the biggest student body (and gym) hosts the NIT games until the finals. The last time I checked there aren't many D-I school smaller than Wofford. So hosting an NIT game will never happen (unless they change the rules). Wofford could surprise a few people if they made the NIT, but it is a long shot. Best case scenario for y'all is to run the table the rest of the way in the conference and then pull off the tourny upset. If you won out in conference and made it to the conference finals, but lost, y'all would be 21-12. That record and your win over Purdue at Purdue might get you into the NIT, but I wouldn't count on it.
JoMo

Postby beacon_fan on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:13 am

Have we ever had this good of a record this late in the season since turning d-1? What is our best overall record since turning d-1? Best conference record? I'm trying to compare this season, but I don't have a media guide and can't find the information on our website.
beacon_fan

Postby NCTerrier on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:52 pm

I posted this in another thread a while back, so I'll cut and paste it here...

our basketball records the last 10 years....
9-18 (6-8 )
11-16 (8-8 )
14-16 (8-8 )
12-16 (7-9)
11-18 (5-11)
14-15 (8-8 )
9-20 (4-12)
14-14 (7-9)
11-18 (6-9)
10-20 (5-13)

Overall that is 115-171, 64-95 in conference, 3-9 in tournament play with 6 first-round losses.
NCTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:35 pm

Rowdy, I just hope to the Lord above you aren't and never will be in a position of authority at Wofford; because if you are we are doomed to a perpetual state of underperformance and mediocrity. Demanding and expecting success or at least competitiveness is just not part of your makeup is it?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:18 pm

Ruckus wrote:...because if you are we are doomed to a perpetual state of underperformance and mediocrity.

All signs I can see say we already are doomed to underperformance and mediocrity.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:36 pm

Ruckus wrote:Rowdy, I just hope to the Lord above you aren't and never will be in a position of authority at Wofford; because if you are we are doomed to a perpetual state of underperformance and mediocrity. Demanding and expecting success or at least competitiveness is just not part of your makeup is it?

Ruckus, I don't know what you majored in at WoCo, and frankly don't care. I majored in Economics and the economics of this b-ball program are finally hitting home. We had a reported 1003 attendees at the Thursday night debacle against GSU school for dimwits. i was there and there were not 1003 people in those stands. I didn't make the Toccoa Falls game with a reported 200 + in attendance, but I can't imagine the stands being more empty. If the fans are not going to support this team, then it's time for a coaching change! We need more motivation from the staff so that we don't hear from a player that "they wanted it more than we did" or "that was the smallest crowd we've ever played in front of", or something like that. MY is a great guy, he recruits good kids, he has limitations that are not his fault, but he is failing to motivate the 13 guys he has on the team. OK, you read it here. Rowdy is calling for a coaching change!
Rowdy

Postby terriers on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:10 pm

Rowdy, I think those player comments you referred to came from
my post. I was not inferring we needed a coaching change. I was
promoting a pep band.
terriers

Postby Rowdy on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:55 pm

terriers wrote:Rowdy, I think those player comments you referred to came from
my post. I was not inferring we needed a coaching change. I was
promoting a pep band.

I think I also read them in the herald Journal as well as your post. I don't know if a change is exactly what we need, but we need something. We should have beat Elon (that 3 pointer was good according to Gibson) and we should have beat GSU. No excuses. I'm coming to the conclusion MY is not a motivator. He is a good recruiter, a good floor coach, but not a motivator. To get butts in the seats, you have to win OR provide exceptional entertainment. After the cheeseburgers run out, we don't have much entertainment value left. A pep band would be good, but not exceptional. We have to win to get folks to come back and spend their money. Remember the last years of Rick Gilstrap? As much as I try to forget them, I still have vivid memories of empty stands during football games. When he was finally fired (contract not renewed) and MA hired, we immediately gained buts in the stands. All it took was a team that looked like it wanted to win more than the other team.

But I'm not sure just getting a new coach is the total answer. First we don't have the money to hire a proven coach and staff. Second, would a proven coach even risk the damage to his reputation by taking on an underfunded program such as we have? I doubt it. The first thing we need to do is add 2 more scholarships to the program. Then a few more dollars to the recruiting budget so the coaches can recruit nationally. How do we do this? I haven't a clue. There are needs in all of our pet sports, soccer, cross country, baseball, you name it with the exception of the women's sports who have, by the way, not distinguished themselves even with full scholarship allocations (or nearly so).

Mens basketball and football are our only revenue sports. If the athletic program is to get stronger, these two sports have to generate more revenue. Basketball isn't keeping up it's end of the deal. It isn't worth it to me to drive from Charlotte and see a team that doesn't look like they want to win. That's what I saw Saturday and Thursday night and I can lay the blame on only one man, MY.
Rowdy

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:20 am

Stewie Griffin wrote:According to my old college friend, who studies bracketology, Wofford has a good chance at hosting a first-round NIT game against the Miami Hurricanes-as long as we win two games in the Socon Tourney.

The game will most likely be on ESPN 2 if it happens...postseason at the BenJo?

Puff, puff, pass...

I've seen postseason basketball in Benjamin Johnson Arena. D-II playoffs in 1994. Electric crowd, but SoCon-style refs jobbed the Terriers. Either way, I feel confident that the crowd involvement at that game is like nothing seen in Spartanburg in years (probably since that home game against South Carolina).
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:27 am

Whether you are for a coaching change or not, do you think that RJ would fire MY under any circumstance?

Would he be excessively loyal to his protege, or would it be a "business is business" type deal? From what I've seen with Traylor and others, I would say RJ doesn't have the guts to do it, but I could be wrong.

I, for one, would feel better about RJ's leadership if he did have a press conferecne and say that the the program's direction was bad and he was taking steps to fix things immediately and that MY would not be back instead of the same old votes of confidence.

The fan base isn't going to grow or be energized unless bold changes are made with regards to basketball.
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball