Wofford vs. Appy

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby beacon_fan on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:38 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:It just seems to me like this message board is very fragile and easily loses faith and confidence

fixed.

We lost a game! From what I hear we BEAT Elon, and then lost to App State. Was it a bad loss? Of course. It happens! I just watched UK lose to Vandy by 1000 points on espn. Everyone on here is quick to throw the team under the bus. Are we not having the best season we've had since turning D1?

And it's just plain dumb for people to think that scholarships don't make a difference. With the amount of injuries we have had this season 2 extra scholarship players could be huge. And yes, I will continue to beat this dead horse until we have all 13 and are still mediocre.
beacon_fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:58 am

beacon_fan wrote:And yes, I will continue to beat this dead horse until we have all 13 and are still mediocre.

You're right.

Under the current path we seem to be accepting, we will still be mediocre (at best) when we are fully funded.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 am

beacon_fan wrote:
woffordgrad94 wrote:It just seems to me like this message board is very fragile and easily loses faith and confidence

fixed.

And it's just plain dumb for people to think that scholarships don't make a difference. With the amount of injuries we have had this season 2 extra scholarship players could be huge.

Gosh BeaconFan, you must not have heard. 11 now equals 13. It's some kind of new math a poster to this forum came up with. Seems that if we take 11 scholarships and spread them among 13 players and then hope that some academic money flows in, you magically come up with 13 basketball scholarships. Amazing isn't it?
Rowdy

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:49 am

If this is such a great year for us, why are some of you still making an issue with scholarships? Seems to me the team's success completely defeats your argument; or perhaps there is more the success equation than raw dollars...........as blasphemous as that seems.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:57 pm

7-8 isn't exactly how I would define success, not even sure that is really even progress?
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:03 pm

I agree but in terms our past performance it is an improvement.Until APP, we have at least been competitive.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:14 pm

There is no such thing as a moral victory. Wofford was 5-13 last year in the SOCON. They will better that mark this year by at least two games through the same number of games, even though they play 2 additional conference games.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:14 pm

we've had at least two years with .500 conf records. Our first year in the league we were 6-8. We've never really improved. Highest we've been is .500 in 10 yrs.
BossTerrier

Postby dude on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:32 pm

There is still some season left, and I hope the Terriers can get back on track. This year can end up pretty good for Wofford, and I hope that will happen. A run in the conference tournament is within this team's grasp, in my opinion.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:20 pm

I agree that a run is possible, but this team is so inconsistent because we live by the 3. If we don't knock down those shots, we have no other option. That's why we get blown out in some games-

I am results oriented, so that is whyI feel the way I do-we could very well end up with a winning conf and overall record for the first time in the DI era with a win at Purdue, currently leading the big 10, on our resume. The drastic inconsistency is what scares me about this team. They could be great and pose a threat to go into the semis, or they could lose again in the first round like we have the last 7 years, I believe.
BossTerrier

Postby Rowdy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:44 pm

Ruckus wrote:If this is such a great year for us, why are some of you still making an issue with scholarships? Seems to me the team's success completely defeats your argument; or perhaps there is more the success equation than raw dollars...........as blasphemous as that seems.

Well gee, Ruckus, let me think. Maybe not having season ending injuries to key players had something to do with it? Seems we still have all 11 scholarship players ......... or is that 13 by the new math? ....... on the floor doing what they do best ............ playing basketball vs. warming the bench.
Rowdy

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:07 pm

Glad to see the experts have identified that it was in fact the lack of those infamous 2 scholies which accounted for the 30 point differential v. Appy, a team we beat earlier in the year...........without those 2 scholies. Oh yeah, never mind we had all 11 scholarship players healthy and playing too.
Interesting logic.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:41 pm

beacon_fan wrote:

fixed.

We lost a game! From what I hear we BEAT Elon, and then lost to App State. Was it a bad loss? Of course. It happens! I just watched UK lose to Vandy by 1000 points on espn. Everyone on here is quick to throw the team under the bus. Are we not having the best season we've had since turning D1?

And it's just plain dumb for people to think that scholarships don't make a difference. With the amount of injuries we have had this season 2 extra scholarship players could be huge. And yes, I will continue to beat this dead horse until we have all 13 and are still mediocre.

First of all, 7-8 is not a good conference record. And let's really look hard at that great season we' re having...now that I think about it, our record could be a little inflated. Yes, Purdue was a great win, and so were conference wins over UNC-G twice and at Georgia Southern. But we have some bad losses in the league as well- most notably Elon twice. No, we did not beat Elon at home, either. We lost, and though we had some misfortune, we could have avoided that loss with better play in some areas. Also, 4 of our wins are vs. non-d1 cupcakes, and those two teams we beat in Vegas weren't exactly world beaters, either. Overall, this is still an inconsistent program that is just average.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:47 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:
woffordgrad94 wrote:And I think we need a fresh face on the sidelines to help bring that consistency about; to help us play the way we are capable of playing in practically every game. In short, we need a basketball equivalent of Mike Ayers. Here's hoping we find him one day.

A national search will be conducted in about 20 years when Coach Young retires.

Never have sadder or truer words been posted. A national search. Just like in baseball, huh? :roll: And yes, we will probably still have the same coach in 20 years, too. Mike and Richard are tight. We could go totally winless and Young would still be safe.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Stewie Griffin on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:12 pm

According to my old college friend, who studies bracketology, Wofford has a good chance at hosting a first-round NIT game against the Miami Hurricanes-as long as we win two games in the Socon Tourney.

The game will most likely be on ESPN 2 if it happens...postseason at the BenJo?
Stewie Griffin

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball