Elon-Wofford

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Elon made a 3 with 2.2 seconds. Wofford calls timeout to set up a last second play
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BestOfBreed on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:05 pm

That hurt. At least the refs won some money. :ref: ](*,)
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:43 pm

The shot at the end of overtime was a 2. The guy's foot was clearly on the line. I was extremely angry that we went to overtime as a result of that call, and even angrier that we ended up losing. I heard on the radio that a copy of the game tape will be sent to the league office for review. I doubt anything at all will come of that, other than perhaps a slap on the wrist for the officials that called the shot a three- they are not going to reverse the call now. So that missed call was huge and no one would disagree with that. BUT- We can't totally blame the ref for the loss of this game. First, if we had not have missed a free throw before that contoversial shot, we win. It wouldn't have mattered if it was a 2 or a 3. Second, we could have always fouled Elon and not allowed them to take a shot. And you have to give Elon a ton of credit, too- they hit some HUGE shots down the stretch and particularly in overtime. The bottom line is that we have to find a way to win a game like this- a home game against a team that's sub-.500 in the league, and we could not do that. This loss does indeed hurt our chances at getting a first-round tourney bye. But the season's not over. We still have a good team this year that is fully capable of finishing up strong and perhaps doing something special. We just have to put the misortune of tonight behind us right now and get ready to play in Boone Monday night against an App. State team that's been struggling- they lost at home to Charleston a couple of nights ago, and needed overtime to beat The Citadel at home tonight. So I think we can rebound against the Mountaineers with a strong effort and a bit of luck.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball