Wofford's Snub of Spartans

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:09 pm

I know most SoCon schools play some non-D-I teams, but most don't play the maximum of four allowed by the NCAA. I don't see a problem with playing two, but four is a bit much. In my opinion, Wofford schedules these because if they played tougher teams and took losses instead of the wins over the Toccoa Falls' of the world, more heat would be aimed in the direction of the Athletic Dept. over the final record. Some people are grumbling now, but if you subrtacted a couple more wins in each of the past few years, the grumbling would likely be much louder.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:21 am

I think it boils down to RJ still holding hard feelings against USC-U. Back when it was USCS and we played them regularly, it is not great secret that RJ could not stand Jerry Waters. I mean he loathed the man.

And now RJ doesn't have to play them if he doesn't want too. So I say he has a hard time forgiving and letting go. But that doesn't make for good sports copy.

Peace
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:33 pm

OK, I think I've stated my opinion about playing Upstate before, but I think I'll revisit it. LET"S DO IT! It wouldn't hurt to take one of those NAIA games away and make a good deal of money for both schools in the process. If Richard Johnson is indeed still holding a 20+ year old grudge agasinst a school because of a coach that's been gone for over 10 years there now, that is truly silly. It is time to move on from that.
We are both D-1 now. I wonder if we are not just scared they might beat us- because if they played well and we had one of our trademark stinker games that we always have every year, it could happen. The Spartans have looked good on some occasions in their first year of d-1. And I think we know it would not be a guaranteed win a la Toccoa Falls, and that really makes us hesitate to schedule this game. But I think the pros outweigh the cons. A rivalry game like this would be good for both schools regardless of the outcome. And the RPI arguement is weak- Wofford is NEVER going to get an at-large bid to the NCAAs anyway. So play 2 NAIA/D-2 games a year, and also play annual rivalries against PC and Upstate. It will help generate more excitement about our team and put more butts in the seats.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:29 am

I beg to differ: Our rivalries are now Furman, App St, Ga So, Elon, CofC, Davidson, Citadel, and UNC-G. PC and USC-S would merely be games for the media and bloggers.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:32 pm

Ruckus wrote:I beg to differ: Our rivalries are now Furman, App St, Ga So, Elon, CofC, Davidson, Citadel, and UNC-G. PC and USC-S would merely be games for the media and bloggers.

I agree that those are good CONFERENCE rivals for us (with the possible exception of UNC-G: I've never really thought of them as a true rival per se), but it's okay to have NON-conference rivalries too. Many big-time rivals are from separate conferences (Clemson-Carolina). Games against PC and Upstate would be great. But I guess some people like to have Toccoa Falls on the schedule every year in lieu of a non-league game or two that people would actually care about watching at the Ben Jo. Shoot, why don't we add the Sigma Nu intermural team to the 2008-09 schedule? Come to think of it, they could probably beat Toccoa Falls. Really, why does TC even WANT to play us? What do they get out of it? It's sure not a big paycheck.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby NCTerrier on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:02 pm

I know my Sigma Nu team that helped us win the Intramural Championship back in '89 could give Taccoa Falls a run for its money :lol:
NCTerrier

Postby dude on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Sigma Nu...1989....hmmmmm.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby NCTerrier on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:10 am

dude wrote:Sigma Nu...1989....hmmmmm.

Friend or foe??
NCTerrier

Postby dude on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:23 am

the former....what's up?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby NCTerrier on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:48 pm

Not much new today, but I guess a lot in the past 20 years. I new a bunch of dudes back then (and still know a few of them today) which one are you??
NCTerrier

Postby dude on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:58 pm

You're not in with the Pearsall Tuesday night crowd, by any chance?

I'm loosely affiliated with those people.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball