Wofford - Davidson

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Wofford - Davidson

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:16 pm

Listening to the Wofford coach after the game, he said that he was holding a few things back in the event that Wofford met Davidson again. I wonder why he didnt throw the kitchen sink at Davidson trying to win the game.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Rowdy on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Given the opportunity, I would much rather knock them out of the tournament. I don't know what we held back (and I was at the game), but we fielded a team with 7 scholarship players (Nichols and Dalhman didn't play) and gave their 11 scholarship players a fit for 25 to 30 minutes. A healthy Wofford team has a chance and to me nothing would be sweeter than going to the big dance in their place.
Rowdy

Postby Rowdy on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:55 pm

Unless I missed it, Davidson didn't introduce the starting five from Wofford as we always do for the visiting team at Wofford. What do the other teams in the SoCon do?
Rowdy

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:17 pm

I dont know what the coach was holding back either, but he said he was not going to tell the broadcast team. I certainly hope nothing is held back the rest of the regular season.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby i77cat on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:50 pm

You just missed it, Rowdy. Wofford's starters were introduced. Davidson played 9 guys. Wofford's preparation, coaching, and execution were outstanding. The Terriers tonight were easily the best Southern Conference team that Davidson has played at home this year. Wofford fans have a team to be proud of. Good luck the rest of the way.
i77cat

Postby Rowdy on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:13 am

i77cat wrote: Davidson played 9 guys.

Cat, I think you missed my point. Wofford had a total of 7 scholarship players on the bench ready to see action, Davidson had 11. You are correct in that Davidson played 9 kids (of course that Curry kid is good for two or three players) while Wofford played a total of 8 guys. I believe without Curry, that game would have been a toss-up. Or a healthy Nichols may have made a difference.
Rowdy

basketball

Postby lawdog on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:12 pm

It is very encouraging that we should shoot so poorly from the 3 point line and still keep it close. That tells me someone is playing defense and rebounding.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby beacon_fan on Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:02 pm

beacon_fan

Postby i77cat on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:58 pm

No, Rowdy, I got the point. Wofford was short-handed. When your program is under-funded (I didn't know until a few weeks ago that Wofford only funded 11 schollies--that is a serious liability and only strengthens my opinion of the job that Mike Young does) and you add injuries on top of that it makes things very difficult. Davidson has 13 scholarship players. Two were out with injuries. Coach McKillop chose not to use the other two. I'm not sure how much Nichols would have helped. A healthy Dahlman would have helped a lot. The rebounding disparity last night was large. Personally, I'll be cheering for Wofford to grab the #6 or #7 seed. I don't want them in the 8/9 or 4/5 games if Davidson gets the #1.
i77cat

Postby Rowdy on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:27 am

i77cat wrote:No, Rowdy, I got the point. Wofford was short-handed. When your program is under-funded (I didn't know until a few weeks ago that Wofford only funded 11 schollies--that is a serious liability and only strengthens my opinion of the job that Mike Young does) and you add injuries on top of that it makes things very difficult. Davidson has 13 scholarship players. Two were out with injuries. Coach McKillop chose not to use the other two. I'm not sure how much Nichols would have helped. A healthy Dahlman would have helped a lot. The rebounding disparity last night was large. Personally, I'll be cheering for Wofford to grab the #6 or #7 seed. I don't want them in the 8/9 or 4/5 games if Davidson gets the #1.

In a couple of my previous posts, I got my numbers wrong. RJ told me Wofford was two scholarships short in mens B-ball and I mistakenly thought the maximum was eleven. A little quick research, which I should have done much sooner, tells me that mens Division 1 bb has a maximum of thirteen scholarships (Division 2 has 10). So with what RJ told me, that means Wofford has eleven scholarship players competing with thirteen scholarship players on our SoCon competition. I apologize for the error.
Rowdy

Postby i77cat on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:43 am

I always admired the job that Richard Johnson did with limited resources. I feel the same about Mike Young. Like I said, I was unaware until recently that those limitations included fewer scholarships than the rest of the conference. I've always felt that the rash of injuries at Wofford could be blamed in part on the number of minutes that your better players are forced to play (and practice). That argument is stronger in light of the fact that you have just 11 schollies. That increass the exposure of your players to injury in practice and games. Any idea when Wofford will bump the number of basketball scholarships up by 18%?
i77cat

Postby Rowdy on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:49 am

i77cat wrote:I always admired the job that Richard Johnson did with limited resources. I feel the same about Mike Young. Like I said, I was unaware until recently that those limitations included fewer scholarships than the rest of the conference. I've always felt that the rash of injuries at Wofford could be blamed in part on the number of minutes that your better players are forced to play (and practice). That argument is stronger in light of the fact that you have just 11 schollies. That increass the exposure of your players to injury in practice and games. Any idea when Wofford will bump the number of basketball scholarships up by 18%?

Adding scholarships is never easy at a small college especially when one plays scholarship football. Title 9 enters the equation, and with a 50-50 student body gender ratio, we have to add a female scholarship for every male one we give (or something close if my numbers aren't totally correct). We're underfunded in every mens sport including football (53 scholarships vs 63 allowed in FCS). Football and mens basketball are the only two revenue sports so, for my money, I hope that is where future emphasis is.
Rowdy

Walk ons.

Postby mjtorg on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm

Does Wofford have any walk-on players on the roster? Just how many of the squad are there on full ride? I can see where if you are limited to say 10 rides you would have a fatigue/injury problem. How many players are on the full roster?
mjtorg

Re: Walk ons.

Postby Rowdy on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:33 pm

mjtorg wrote:Does Wofford have any walk-on players on the roster? Just how many of the squad are there on full ride? I can see where if you are limited to say 10 rides you would have a fatigue/injury problem. How many players are on the full roster?

There are 13 on the roster, 11 scholarship and 2 walk-ons to the best of my knowledge. Now if everything goes perfectly, no injuries and the coaches make no mistakes in recruiting, having only 11 scholarships doesn't hurt that much. But Wofford has been bitten by the injury bug almost every year and usually to one or two of our best players. And the coaches have made a couple of recruiting errors. They all do. Some kids just don't live up to their promise in high school and that's no ones fault.
Rowdy

Postby mjtorg on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:08 pm

I've noticed that there are only 13 on the roster. When we have 3 injured I would think practice would get pretty dicey with just 10 players. Chances of another injury during practice would be devastating. I know that a lot of D-1 schools dress about 15. Agree that some of the kids out of high school do not live up to expectations in college especially in smaller D-1 schools where the recruiting base is smaller. We basically get what's left over after the majors.
mjtorg

Return to Men's Basketball