Looking at the rest of the schedule

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Looking at the rest of the schedule

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:20 am

Wow, what a nice comeback! After starting 1-5 in the league and having some very tough loses, we have won 4 straight to even our SoCon record. It's important to keep in mind that we played some of the SoCon's best teams early in our schedule. So we weren't exactly losing to a lot of doormats. But let's take the rest of the scedule game-by-game:

1/30 @Davidson- This one's going to be very tough to win. I hope they just sit Shane and Noah for this one and let them recover from injury, because Davidson's the best team in the league, we are at their place, and I think that even if they played, our chances at victory would be slim and their chances of getting hurt more would be better. Prediction: LOSS (5-6)

2/2 FURMAN- The Paladins are one of the worst teams in the conference so far, but they are our rivals. I'm sure this will be a close one, but we pull it out in the BenJo. WIN (6-6)

2/7 @UNC-Greensboro: The Spartans avenge their earlier loss at our hands. We have never played well in Greensboro- it is one of our worst venues historically. LOSS (6-7)

2/9 ELON: The phoenix gave us problems inside the last time we saw them, and the result was a 9-point loss. But I think we are a better team now than we were then, especially inside, as our young post players have had more time to develop, and we will be at home in this one. And all in all, Elon is a mediocre conference team overall. It all adds up to being a game we should win. But you know how that goes... WIN (7-7)

2/11 @Appalachian State: Yes, it's on the road, and yes, the Mountaineers are pretty good, but Wofford has played some good ball in Boone in the past. If we had just made foul shots, which we are doing a better job of here lately, we would have beaten App at home. But this team is playing better now, and I say this will be one we sneak in and steal. WIN (8-7)

2/14 GEORGIA SOUTHERN: This might be our toughest remaining home game. The Eagles will come in with revenge on their minds. This game could end up being very big- 2nd place in the South Division could be on the line. I say we squeak one out in dramatic fashion after being down late, just like we did against Greensboro and Charleston. WIN (9-7)

2/18 @Furman: We always have stinkers. This one has that written all over it. We have a hard time beating Furman twice. This is a rivalry game, Furman really shows up big, and we have a letdown after some big wins. LOSS (9-8 )

2/23 @Chattanooga: We haven't ever won here as a SoCon member, and the Mocs are big and strong inside. We are improved in the post, but not enough to stopo these guys on their home court. I don't see us winning there this year, either. LOSS (9-9)

2/28 @Western Carolina: The Catamounts are not very good. Even though it's on the road, we sould not lose this game. WIN (10-9)

3/1 THE CITADEL: The Bulldogs are perrenial doormats, yet we have found a way to inexplicably lose to them at home on more than one occasion. This year's team won't do that- they are a bit better team than some of the ones in years past, and The Citadel has yet to win a conference game to date. WIN (11-9)

So the some it all up... WE GET OUR FIRST SOCON WINNING RECORD EVER! GO DOGS!
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:22 am

For some reason, I can't get rid of that smiley face.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby 94cat on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:24 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:For some reason, I can't get rid of that smiley face.

Whenever you do an "8" followed by a ")", it makes that.

All you have to do is put a space between the "8" and the ")", and the smiley will disappear.
94cat

Postby 94cat on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:26 am

Reading your post made me think again about how darn long the conference schedule is. I think it's ridiculous that we all have a 20 game conference schedule.
94cat

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:32 am

Thanks, I got rid of the smiley face. And I like the conference schedule. Playing everybody twice gives everyone an equal schedule because everyone plays every team both home and away. No one has any advantages. And conference games are more exciting than the non-conference ones- they just mean more to me.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:38 am

Also you can check disable BBCode in this post to get rid of the smiley face.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby davcat37 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:38 am

woffordgrad94 wrote: And conference games are more exciting than the non-conference ones- they just mean more to me.

This is where your school differs from ours. Conference games are for the most part boring and do not help the NCAA resume. It would be much better for the conference overall to play more out of conference games. There is no need to play eveyone twice when there is a conference tournament. If the regular season champ got the NCAA bid, then yes, play everyone twice.
davcat37

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:52 am

The regular season champ does get an automatic bid to the NIT should they not receive a bid to the NCAA tourney.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:14 pm

davcat37 wrote:
woffordgrad94 wrote: And conference games are more exciting than the non-conference ones- they just mean more to me.

This is where your school differs from ours. Conference games are for the most part boring and do not help the NCAA resume. It would be much better for the conference overall to play more out of conference games. There is no need to play eveyone twice when there is a conference tournament. If the regular season champ got the NCAA bid, then yes, play everyone twice.

What is Davidson's record outside the conference this year? Maybe you should stick to playing more conference games ;)
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:22 pm

When you have a non-conference schedule with the likes of Texas Southern, West Virginia Wesleyan, Lee-McRae, Bethune Cookman and Toccoa Falls it is hard to get really pumped about it. And we simply can't play UNC and Duke like Davidson does- we'd get absolutely molested, and that wouldn't be exciting.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby i77cat on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:55 am

Davidson's OOC record isn't good, but playing that level of competition certainly prepares you for the conference season and, hopefully, a post-season tournament. Those two big games at Bobcats Arena were technically home games for Davidson. Gate receipts from 35,000+ people ain't too shabby. And all that national TV exposure can only help the program.
i77cat

Return to Men's Basketball