Okay, time for my rant

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Rowdy wrote:
But I also do not believe that throwing money at this problem will completely solve it. It seems to me that the people in charge, the ones that are paid to find solutions, are content with the status quo.

Call me old fashioned, but I can't fault a coach or a program that plays on the bad end of an uneven playing field. Let's come up to parity on scholarships and recruiting budget before we condemn those in charge OR the players.

no personal attack here, but that view is exactly what's wrong with us. If we keep using the money thing as an excuse and not expect some form of success then we'll always be what we are today. This team can compete, they don't need more scholarships to score 4 or 5 more points a game or make one play or two more a game to win. If we were not able to field a competitive team due to financial constraints that would be one thing, but we are in most all of our games, occasionally knock off a top big ten, SEC, or ACC conference team and play a lot of close Socon games. The problem is we can't win close games and that is attitude and confidence. The football team wins in spite of financial constraints because of coaching confidence and motivation. That is the issue. This basketball team has talent, but for some reason they cannot win close conference games with any amount of consistency. It's been that way for a long time.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:42 pm

Rowdy wrote:
But I also do not believe that throwing money at this problem will completely solve it. It seems to me that the people in charge, the ones that are paid to find solutions, are content with the status quo.

Call me old fashioned, but I can't fault a coach or a program that plays on the bad end of an uneven playing field. Let's come up to parity on scholarships and recruiting budget before we condemn those in charge OR the players.

no personal attack here, but that view is exactly what's wrong with us. If we keep using the money thing as an excuse and not expect some form of success then we'll always be what we are today. This team can compete, they don't need more scholarships to score 4 or 5 more points a game or make one play or two more a game to win. If we were not able to field a competitive team due to financial constraints that would be one thing, but we are in most all of our games, occasionally knock off a top big ten, SEC, or ACC conference team and play a lot of close Socon games. The problem is we can't win close games and that is attitude and confidence. The football team wins in spite of financial constraints because of coaching confidence and motivation. That is the issue. This basketball team has talent, but for some reason they cannot win close conference games with any amount of consistency. It's been that way for a long time.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby NCTerrier on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:51 pm

our basketball records the last 10 years....
9-18 (6-8 )
11-16 (8-8 )
14-16 (8-8 )
12-16 (7-9)
11-18 (5-11)
14-15 (8-8 )
9-20 (4-12)
14-14 (7-9)
11-18 (6-9)
10-20 (5-13)

Overall that is 115-171 and 64-95 in conference. Throw in a 3-9 mark in tournament play including 6 first-round losses.

I am sure we spend more today on basketball then we did in 1997, but the results are nearly the same. 10 years, one break-even season and not one winning conference record.
NCTerrier

Postby terriers on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:50 pm

The best way to avoid depression during basketball season is to
concentrate on football recruiting.
terriers

Postby Rowdy on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:05 pm

terriers wrote:The best way to avoid depression during basketball season is to
concentrate on football recruiting.

Amen.
Rowdy

Postby elonfirefighter on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:02 pm

I thought the Best way to avoid Depression was a good doctor, good meds and lying out on the baseball field sniffing come plate, hoping that the season started the next day
elonfirefighter

Postby Rowdy on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:57 pm

elonfirefighter wrote:I thought the Best way to avoid Depression was a good doctor, good meds and lying out on the baseball field sniffing come plate, hoping that the season started the next day

What's a "come plate"?........... No, don't tell me, I don't want to know.
Rowdy

Postby elonfirefighter on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:15 pm

its a typo i was watching TV talking to some one and typing, dont know how i typed come plate i ment home plate. wow the c and h arnt even close :shock: :?:
elonfirefighter

Re: Okay, time for my rant

Postby beacon_fan on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:35 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:
beacon_fan wrote:
woffordgrad94 wrote:But Davidson's is a future NBA superstar, and ours is a stiff.

Not cool. No reason to put one of our kids down like that.

I call 'em like I see 'em

Well our stiff is a D-1 athlete.... were you?
beacon_fan

Postby LKN_terrier on Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:42 pm

If he graduated in 94 then he couldn't be since we went DI in 95-96
LKN_terrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:52 pm

Well, if you read my entire post- the one that started this thread- I said in it that I have never even played on a basketball team, so no, I was not a d-1 athelete. But that's not why I'm posting now. I want to say that I never should have called out an individual kid like that. It's just that I look at what Davidson has in Stephon Curry and I guess I get jealous- wish we had him or someone like him. And when I saw that Norm was coming to Wofford, I got really excied and I thought to myself that the son of a bona-fide NBA player and a Laker, no less, is a can't miss star and what a great piece of reruiting to get him. Norm has not yet developed into the star I thought he would, and that disappoints me a little. Bujt I'm sure he's trying and that he's doing the best he can. I didn't mean to blast the kid and I'm sorry for that. It was uncalled for. Maybe he'll still become a greta player at Wofford in the future- to tell the truth, the guy really hasn't gotten that much of a chance now that I really think about it, and he has shown brief flashes of potential when I've seen him.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ex Terrier OLB on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:56 pm

Rowdy wrote:
BossTerrier wrote:
I think part of the reason is we are two scholarships short of every other member of the SoCo.

Mike Ayers does more with less. Mike Young does less... with less. The scholarship thing is an excuse. If Mike Young cant find a way to win consistently without ridiculous facilities and full scholarships then he probably will not succeed at Wofford. That being said, our baseball team was less than average for years but after getting a new stadium and despite an average season, was able to win the SoCon. Coincidence? Probably. Overall, keep in mind this is Wofford... no one gets fired.
Ex Terrier OLB

Postby beacon_fan on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:51 pm

Ex Terrier OLB wrote:Mike Young does less... with less. The scholarship thing is an excuse.

what a joke.
beacon_fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:49 pm

Building a new gym is not the answer. I watched the C of C game on TV and was embarrassed by the number of empty seats. Why build a new facility when we can't fill the old Andrews Field House ? Winning is the catalyst for growth and whatever we have been trying isn't working. Coach Young is a fine person and has had more than his share of tough luck, losing his top scorer to torn ACL's early in the season for several years in a row. The success of the football team just adds more pressure. Not sure what the solution is, but if we (the college and alums) don't demand excellence, it won't happen on its own.
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:49 pm

First of all, I don't think folks should give up on this season just yet. We're not on track to beat out Davidson for regular season champions, obviously, but we're hovering close to .500 and have a group that's playing MUCH better than earlier in the season. I think the guys have a good deal of confidence and improved chemistry and that we still have a chance for this to end up being a really solid season.

I get frustrated, too, that we seem to struggle so much in January seemingly each year. I don't know if scheduling is something to look at there. Maybe the guys slack off some during interim -- a different class schedule, fewer students around, etc. Maybe injuries have played a role in a number of seasons. But I am glad that we have turned things around this year in time to have a chance of putting together a nice conference record.

As for a new gym, that's not an easy answer, and I don't know where the money would come from. But I do think an arena of similar size -- but with more character and charm -- would be a plus. Having said that, the BenJo can be a pretty loud place when there's a decent crowd and students are into the game.
dude
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball