Okay, time for my rant

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Okay, time for my rant

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:38 pm

Some of you might not like what I say here, but I have to get some things off my chest by typing them in a forum such as this one. Our men's basketbal program is going nowhere fast. Please don't be fooled by an occasional win over a bigtime opponent. All that shows is that we do indeed have some talent. So does everyone else in the SoCon. But what we have ALWAYS lacked in consistency. And the ability to hit free throws at an acceptable percentage. Take the App Statwe game. We were only 5 of 12 from the line and lost by 4. If we just hit 9 of 12, we are going into overtime. Hit 10 of 12 and we win. I don't see what's so difficult about hitting a free throw. I can go to the gym at Westside Club and hit 8 or 9 of 10 and I've never even played on a basketball team. A lot of games in the SoCon come down to the wire and free throws can win it or lose it for you, and for us, it's always the latter. Secondly, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for losing by 35 at home to a SoCon opponent. Davidson is very good, but they're not that good. Maybe we just need better players. After all, both Wofford and Davidson have the son of a former NBA great on their roster. But Davidson's is a future NBA superstar, and ours is a stiff. Luck? I don't think so... Davidson simply does a better job of attracting winners than us, and that's all their is to it. That fact, and the lack of consistency I mentioned earlier, makes me point the finger squarely at Coach Young and his staff. Maybe we do indeed need a fresh start with a new coach and a new attidude at Wofford. And a new arena wouldn't hurt either. The new place that is going to be built at USC Upstate is going to be very nice and will blow Ben Johnson away. We need something like what they are getting along with a new coach and some guys who know how to shoot freee throws and know how to win. Okay, that's all I have to say. Sorry if you don't like it, but it's how I feel.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Okay, time for my rant

Postby Rowdy on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:Some of you might not like what I say here, but I have to get some things off my chest by typing them in a forum such as this one. Our men's basketbal program is going nowhere fast. Please don't be fooled by an occasional win over a bigtime opponent. All that shows is that we do indeed have some talent. So does everyone else in the SoCon. But what we have ALWAYS lacked in consistency. And the ability to hit free throws at an acceptable percentage. Take the App Statwe game. We were only 5 of 12 from the line and lost by 4. If we just hit 9 of 12, we are going into overtime. Hit 10 of 12 and we win. I don't see what's so difficult about hitting a free throw. I can go to the gym at Westside Club and hit 8 or 9 of 10 and I've never even played on a basketball team. A lot of games in the SoCon come down to the wire and free throws can win it or lose it for you, and for us, it's always the latter. Secondly, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for losing by 35 at home to a SoCon opponent. Davidson is very good, but they're not that good. Maybe we just need better players. After all, both Wofford and Davidson have the son of a former NBA great on their roster. But Davidson's is a future NBA superstar, and ours is a stiff. Luck? I don't think so... Davidson simply does a better job of attracting winners than us, and that's all their is to it. That fact, and the lack of consistency I mentioned earlier, makes me point the finger squarely at Coach Young and his staff. Maybe we do indeed need a fresh start with a new coach and a new attidude at Wofford. And a new arena wouldn't hurt either. The new place that is going to be built at USC Upstate is going to be very nice and will blow Ben Johnson away. We need something like what they are getting along with a new coach and some guys who know how to shoot freee throws and know how to win. Okay, that's all I have to say. Sorry if you don't like it, but it's how I feel.

Will you be first in line giving money to this effort?
Rowdy

Postby beacon_fan on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:57 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:But Davidson's is a future NBA superstar, and ours is a stiff.

Not cool. No reason to put one of our kids down like that.
beacon_fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:52 pm

Regarding the free throw debate, woffordgrad94, I am sure you can hit 8 or 9 out of ten at the local gym on a consistent basis, I would bet that our team does that on a consistent basis in practice. But I also bet you cannot hit 5 out of 10 in front of 500 people after playing physical basketball for 20 minutes. I don’t put this all on the coaches. The players need to have the discipline to work on that aspect of their game in the off season. In other words, I love to go to the driving range and hit a bucket of balls with my driver right down the middle 300 yards. But I am a horrible golfer because I do not have the patience to spend 30 minutes working on my chipping and putting.

Regarding your indirect comment regarding Nixon, he is in fact pretty worthless on the court right now, but I honestly think it is a confidence issue rather than a talent issue. I think he will come around with age and experience.

To end, I have not been a fan of Coach Young since he was an assistant and was very disappointed when he was named head coach and we did not go outside of the program. We all love Wofford because it feels so much like a family, but unfortunately that is also our downfall sometimes. I think we have talented young men representing the Wofford basketball team. It may now be time for a new leader.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:40 pm

Both Davidson and USC Upstate have something in common that allows them to fork out the dollars on their basketball team... they don't play D-I scholarship football. We are small and only have a few dollars to spend...so most of it goes to football, and it is clear that we can be more than competitive when we allocate the $$$. Men's basketball lacks in funding like all other sports at Wofford. This is only part of the equasion, however.

We have never had a complete team since we've been D-I. i don't know why, but either we have great guards and no inside presence or great inside presence and no guard play. We can never put the two together.

What puzzles me is that coach young claims that this is our best team ever yet we are poor at FT % and can't close out games with two senior guards. We completely folded against Chattanooga (undefeated in the conf right now at 6-0) and couldn't shoot FT against App. Davidson was just a poor night and that happens but I have been dissapointed by the lack fo consistent play. I guess when you have seniors that shoot 3's and young kids that play inside you're going to be inconsistent.

Just extremely frustrating to see us play close but continue to lose...we just can't close out once conference play begins.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Sparklepup on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Fans are certainly entitled to rant. I happen to think we are doing quite well in the SoCon against schools with much larger budgets and better facilities in basketball and in nearly every other sport. For those of you who so passionately direct fingers at coaches, players and other members of the Wofford community I hope that you will be equally as passionate when financially supporting the Terrier Club so that we can one day analyze our staff and players when we are on a level playing field with our competitors. Until then, rant if it makes you feel better but just don't forget to be passionate when you write your check.
Sparklepup

Postby Rowdy on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:00 pm

BossTerrier wrote:We have never had a complete team since we've been D-I. i don't know why, but either we have great guards and no inside presence or great inside presence and no guard play. We can never put the two together.

I think part of the reason is we are two scholarships short of every other member of the SoCo. If the coaches recruit with 100% accuracy, and we have no injuries, we do OK. But even Coach K isn't 100% in his evaluation of talent. Now I do agree with you on the consistency thing. That's where the coaching staff falls down.
Rowdy

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:33 pm

beacon_fan wrote:
woffordgrad94 wrote:But Davidson's is a future NBA superstar, and ours is a stiff.

Not cool. No reason to put one of our kids down like that.

I call 'em like I see 'em
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:34 pm

Rowdy wrote:
woffordgrad94 wrote:Some of you might not like what I say here, but I have to get some things off my chest by typing them in a forum such as this one. Our men's basketbal program is going nowhere fast. Please don't be fooled by an occasional win over a bigtime opponent. All that shows is that we do indeed have some talent. So does everyone else in the SoCon. But what we have ALWAYS lacked in consistency. And the ability to hit free throws at an acceptable percentage. Take the App Statwe game. We were only 5 of 12 from the line and lost by 4. If we just hit 9 of 12, we are going into overtime. Hit 10 of 12 and we win. I don't see what's so difficult about hitting a free throw. I can go to the gym at Westside Club and hit 8 or 9 of 10 and I've never even played on a basketball team. A lot of games in the SoCon come down to the wire and free throws can win it or lose it for you, and for us, it's always the latter. Secondly, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for losing by 35 at home to a SoCon opponent. Davidson is very good, but they're not that good. Maybe we just need better players. After all, both Wofford and Davidson have the son of a former NBA great on their roster. But Davidson's is a future NBA superstar, and ours is a stiff. Luck? I don't think so... Davidson simply does a better job of attracting winners than us, and that's all their is to it. That fact, and the lack of consistency I mentioned earlier, makes me point the finger squarely at Coach Young and his staff. Maybe we do indeed need a fresh start with a new coach and a new attidude at Wofford. And a new arena wouldn't hurt either. The new place that is going to be built at USC Upstate is going to be very nice and will blow Ben Johnson away. We need something like what they are getting along with a new coach and some guys who know how to shoot freee throws and know how to win. Okay, that's all I have to say. Sorry if you don't like it, but it's how I feel.

Will you be first in line giving money to this effort?

Yes, I will. And Wofford should gt on the phones and try to raise as much money as possible for this effort!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Will more money later make the players we now have consistently put forth maximum effort, play to their full potential, and maintain their morale?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:30 pm

lawdog wrote:Will more money later make the players we now have consistently put forth maximum effort, play to their full potential, and maintain their morale?

Nope. We need a new coach for that.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:51 pm

lawdog wrote:Will more money later make the players we now have consistently put forth maximum effort, play to their full potential, and maintain their morale?

No! But it will get more scholarship player in the program and more money in the budget for recruiting and coaches salaries. We're now sitting with two, count them two, scholarships short of every other SoCon team. That doesn't hurt us until we have an injury, and boy have we had a bunch of those, or the coaching staff misevaluates a player, and they have been guilty of that. We don't have the money to recruit nationally much less internationally as Davidson does. (there I go again mentioning Davidson. I'm beginning to think of them in the same way I think of Furman. And that's not good). Our budget for coaches salaries and recruiting expenses is laughable when compared to other SoCon teams (especially Davidson......*@#%, mentioned them again, I'm trying folks). And once we get the full allotment of scholarships and a decent recruiting budget, and a good salary for the coaches, we can worry about The BenJo. Yeah, it kinda looks like a high school gym, but it suits our needs for now. A nice arena like the Belk at Davidson would be nice, but we don't have that Belk money ...... Come to think of it, Davidson doesn't either since they P#$$%& off the Belk family.

Now to what I think is your question ............. can our current coaching staff motivate our current players. My answer is...... sometimes.
Rowdy

Postby elonfirefighter on Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:53 pm

i know your mad but theres no reason to call a kid out like that. These kids do make it to these boards and they do read them. how would you feel if everyone was putting you down. The coach is one thing, it is his job to recruit and create a good team, but the player, hes a student first player second, note the STUDENT_Athleate.
Second im my opinion you must pay to complain, no FREE-speach in this world of sports. If you have a problem donate to your club, voice your opinion to the athleatic dpt and be a solution to the problem. They cant make "change" with out your dollar.
I know ive said a lot of the same things others have said but i get verry particular when people put these students down. they are not required to play they play because they want to. in most cases. Also i know where your comming from. it takes time and it takes money. as long as you help support the program it will come back around
elonfirefighter

Postby NCTerrier on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:04 pm

I agree that calling out the kid went over the line, but I can understand the frustration. Year in and year out, the basketball program has been mediocre at best. Sure, it could be worse. We have the occasional upset win, but we are consistently at the bottom of the pack in the SoCon and constantly hearing excuses. I don't have all the answers, nor do I personally have the funds to endow a couple of scholarships and add to the budget. But I also do not believe that throwing money at this problem will completely solve it. It seems to me that the people in charge, the ones that are paid to find solutions, are content with the status quo.
NCTerrier

Postby Rowdy on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:51 pm

But I also do not believe that throwing money at this problem will completely solve it. It seems to me that the people in charge, the ones that are paid to find solutions, are content with the status quo.

Call me old fashioned, but I can't fault a coach or a program that plays on the bad end of an uneven playing field. Let's come up to parity on scholarships and recruiting budget before we condemn those in charge OR the players.
Rowdy

Next

Return to Men's Basketball