Basketball question from an outsider - facilities and staff

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby LKN_terrier on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:39 pm

My personal opinion is that Wofford thinks that since they are such a small school that it is ok to be "close" in games. I feel that Wofford sometimes uses our lack of funding, scholarships, size, etc as a cruch to fall back on when we lose instead of truely wanting to make a change. And I do feel that it is on alumni as well to give money back when they can to help the program out.
LKN_terrier

Postby NCTerrier on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:46 pm

LKN_terrier wrote:My personal opinion is that Wofford thinks that since they are such a small school that it is ok to be "close" in games. I feel that Wofford sometimes uses our lack of funding, scholarships, size, etc as a cruch to fall back on when we lose instead of truely wanting to make a change. And I do feel that it is on alumni as well to give money back when they can to help the program out.

I agree 100 percent there. While I think it is great to overcome obstacles and succeed, it is another thing altogether to use it as a way to justify mediocrity. Money and more scholarships would definitely help, but I have a deep feeling that an adequately funded program would produce results similar to what we see today and have seen since we moved to D1.
NCTerrier

Postby beacon_fan on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:13 pm

NCTerrier wrote:
LKN_terrier wrote:My personal opinion is that Wofford thinks that since they are such a small school that it is ok to be "close" in games. I feel that Wofford sometimes uses our lack of funding, scholarships, size, etc as a cruch to fall back on when we lose instead of truely wanting to make a change. And I do feel that it is on alumni as well to give money back when they can to help the program out.

I agree 100 percent there. While I think it is great to overcome obstacles and succeed, it is another thing altogether to use it as a way to justify mediocrity. Money and more scholarships would definitely help, but I have a deep feeling that an adequately funded program would produce results similar to what we see today and have seen since we moved to D1.

I disagree 100 percent.
beacon_fan

Postby LKN_terrier on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:16 pm

Do you disagree with me?
LKN_terrier

Postby beacon_fan on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:52 pm

LKN_terrier wrote:Do you disagree with me?

Maybe I was a bit over the top with my 100% disagreement. Maybe it's more like 80%. I just feel that with a properly funded team we will see much better results.
beacon_fan

Postby NCTerrier on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:08 pm

The fact that I question how much better we would be with better funding is based on history. I don't know the numbers, but I think it is a safe assumption that the basketball team receives more money and scholarships than it did 10 years ago. However, the measurable results, wins and loses, has remained the same.
NCTerrier

Postby LKN_terrier on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:18 am

I do not think it is ALL money. I think much of it has to do with attitude. And I do not feel, at least when I was there and from what I have heard, that the proper attitude is there to have a truely successful season.
LKN_terrier

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball