Basketball question from an outsider - facilities and staff

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:58 pm

I respectfully disagree. Davidson had 9 players that played at least 15 minutes each. Their top scorer played 24 minutes. They completely dominated Wofford. They outrebounded Wofford 36-19, and accordingly put up 15 more shots and made 21 more shots.

Wofford couldnt stop Davidson Saturday night regardless of who was playing for either team. I hope this trend will change soon.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Rowdy on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:35 pm

TURKEYCREEK wrote:I respectfully disagree. Davidson had 9 players that played at least 15 minutes each. Their top scorer played 24 minutes. They completely dominated Wofford. They outrebounded Wofford 36-19, and accordingly put up 15 more shots and made 21 more shots.

Wofford couldnt stop Davidson Saturday night regardless of who was playing for either team. I hope this trend will change soon.

I agree Wofford could not stop Davidson Sat. night. That's why Young played everyone we don't normally see starting 10 minutes into the second half. But McKillop didn't put his scrubs into the game until 2 minutes to go. I suppose I should have said "starting rotation" which consists of 8 or 9 players. Davidson's starting rotation played all but a precious few minutes in the game. I'll stick to what I said.
Rowdy

Postby i77cat on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:24 am

Rowdy,
You'll stick to what you said? Really? You still think "McKillop didn't put his scrubs into the game until 2 minutes to go?" You might want to look at that box score again. "Davidson's starting rotation played all but a precious few minutes in the game"? In fact, Davidson's starters played 122 minutes. Wofford's played 122 minutes. McKillop had 11 players available who had played in a game this season (there is a freshman walk-on who hasn't yet played). He used every one of them. One played 4 minutes. He'd only played 17 minutes prior to this game. Another played 5 minutes. He'd played 42 minutes prior to this game. Seeing that the interior game was a complete mis-match, McKillop used the opportunity to develop some players. The starting post players only got 17 minutes each. Rossiter had played 170 minutes before this game, but got 23 minutes against Wofford. And had 8 points and 8 boards. Young should send McKillop a Thank You card for calling off the dogs so early. Davidson was up 79-36 with 6:58 to play. Do you really think that Wofford was that much better than Davidson in the final 7 minutes? There is no reason to hang 43 on a conference opponent in thier own gym. Or to play the starters, stay in the standard offense, and win by maybe 50. Take the 35 point margin, say "thank you", stop whining about Davidson not playing Southern Confernce football, and good luck the rest of the way.
i77cat

Postby Rowdy on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:56 am

Cat, I just know what I saw. Currey, tattoo boy, and #15 all came out of the game with 2 minutes to go to a standing ovation from your crowd. I took note of who Wofford was playing the last 10 minutes and only one veteran was on the floor. At that same time, I took note of who Davidson had on the floor and they were mostly all in the starting rotation.

This is enough of this discussion. We'll see Davidson again and I hope these Wofford players were embarrassed enough from this humiliating defeat to bring their best game to the table. While that may not be enough to beat Davidson this year, at least they will know they were in a game.
Rowdy

Postby i77cat on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:34 am

Wofford usually gives Davidson an outstanding game. Davidson is in the midst of playing 6 road games out of 7 (at Elon, at Wofford, at Furman, home for Chattanooga, at WCU, at Citadel, at CofC). Of those 7, the game at Wofford was the one I thought Davidson was the most likely to lose. What shocked most Davidson fans at the game (I wasn't there. I was working.) was that Wofford did not give a quality effort. It sounds like it was a game of uncontested easy looks. Davidson only attempted 3 free throws. Very surprising. Mike Young usually gets as much out of his players as anyone does. I strongly disagree with your assessment that McKillop has no class. I'll bet that Mike Young would disagree with it as well.
i77cat

Postby ShortHairedDog on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:02 pm

i77cat wrote:Wofford usually gives Davidson an outstanding game. Davidson is in the midst of playing 6 road games out of 7 (at Elon, at Wofford, at Furman, home for Chattanooga, at WCU, at Citadel, at CofC). Of those 7, the game at Wofford was the one I thought Davidson was the most likely to lose. What shocked most Davidson fans at the game (I wasn't there. I was working.) was that Wofford did not give a quality effort. It sounds like it was a game of uncontested easy looks. Davidson only attempted 3 free throws. Very surprising. Mike Young usually gets as much out of his players as anyone does. I strongly disagree with your assessment that McKillop has no class. I'll bet that Mike Young would disagree with it as well.

I agree, McKillop is in no way classless. Davidson has a solid program and I would take him tomorrow to be our head coach.

Regarding running up the score, this is not Kansas or Memphis. This is a conference opponent who we should be able to compete with. If they beat us by 100 with the starters playing the entire game, it is not shame on them...it is shame on us.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:25 pm

I don't really have anything to add to the Davidson discussion as I've gotten wrapped up in that too many times here, but as far as the gym issue, I do have something to say.

I believe Wofford does know that the Arena is not a long-term solution. As a matter of fact, the original plans for the Richardson Building include a new arena to be built on the side opposite of the Reeves Center. That proposed arena was to be built after the rest of the Richardson Building, Gibbs Stadium, etc. was completed. It would have been about the same capacity as our current facility, but it would have had seating on all four sides of the court. I am certain of this because I saw the plans and had them explained to me by Danny Morrison.

As to why it never happened, I think it is a focus issue. New athletic and academic leadership came into power with different priorities. Obviously, it's probably still onthe radar, but just behind other projects. However, I can't think of many other facility needs on the campus anywhere, so maybe it's about to make it's way to the top of the list.

I think the Benjamin Johnson Arena has served Wofford very well for many years, just like Andrews Fieldhouse before it. But that being said, I also believe that it is antiquated and limited. While it can be loud, it lacks the atmosphere of seats behind the baskets. I would like to see a new arena built that helps us grow and can be home to our basketball programs for the next 30 years.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:44 pm

If you ever played at Andrews Field House, you realize what a vast improvement Benjamin Johnson is. Andrews was quaint in its way but it was, among other things, dangerous.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby 94cat on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:18 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:I don't really have anything to add to the Davidson discussion as I've gotten wrapped up in that too many times here, but as far as the gym issue, I do have something to say.

I believe Wofford does know that the Arena is not a long-term solution. As a matter of fact, the original plans for the Richardson Building include a new arena to be built on the side opposite of the Reeves Center. That proposed arena was to be built after the rest of the Richardson Building, Gibbs Stadium, etc. was completed. It would have been about the same capacity as our current facility, but it would have had seating on all four sides of the court. I am certain of this because I saw the plans and had them explained to me by Danny Morrison.

As to why it never happened, I think it is a focus issue. New athletic and academic leadership came into power with different priorities. Obviously, it's probably still onthe radar, but just behind other projects. However, I can't think of many other facility needs on the campus anywhere, so maybe it's about to make it's way to the top of the list.

I think the Benjamin Johnson Arena has served Wofford very well for many years, just like Andrews Fieldhouse before it. But that being said, I also believe that it is antiquated and limited. While it can be loud, it lacks the atmosphere of seats behind the baskets. I would like to see a new arena built that helps us grow and can be home to our basketball programs for the next 30 years.

First, thanks for getting this thread back on track.

Second, your insight into the original plans are very interesting. Danny Morrison did some great things at Wofford. His success has obviously led him to great things in his professional life (post-Wofford). I find it interesting that - if focus has been lost as you suggest - the new AD, Richard Johnson, who is a basketball guy, may be the one who lost focus. If so, that would go back to my original question/point about needing new and fresh ideas and viewpoints in the athletic department (specifically the basketball program).

If Johnson and Young have failed to move things forward with the facilities plan that Danny Morrison had laid out years ago - to the detriment of the program, I might add - then shame on both of them...particularly Johnson.
94cat

Postby dude on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:11 am

I doubt it's nearly that simple. If there were simply millions laying around for the college to spend, then I suppose the building of a new basketball arena may seem like an obvious move.

I don't doubt that Danny Morrison had plans. And he may have had donors interested in such. But to think that the money was sitting there and the plans simply haven't been acted on is pretty far off-base, I would guess.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby 94cat on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:18 am

dude wrote:I doubt it's nearly that simple. If there were simply millions laying around for the college to spend, then I suppose the building of a new basketball arena may seem like an obvious move.

I don't doubt that Danny Morrison had plans. And he may have had donors interested in such. But to think that the money was sitting there and the plans simply haven't been acted on is pretty far off-base, I would guess.

But, if Morrison had these plans, and it's just been a matter the school just getting off their backsides to get those donors to write their checks (or otherwise raise the money), then the blame would still fall on Johnson and others there for turning their backs on/neglecting the basketball program.

If, on the other hand, the school (not just Johnson) simply decided to go in a different direction with things, then.....well.....I guess that just shows where the basketball program falls on the list of priorities at Wofford, which is also a shame.
94cat

Postby NCTerrier on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Not to make excuses, but isn't Ben John just 20-22 years old? If memory serves me right, the building was completed just as Morrison arrived. Of course, then we were NAIA and it was a major step up from Andrews. Even with a new vision of moving up to DI, a new arena was obviously out of the question for many years hence. While I recognize the need to seriously upgrade the facility, I would imagine the idea of throwing away a 20-year old building seems wasteful to many.

I would think that with all the talent that has graced the Wofford campus, someone could come up with a plan to remodel Ben Johnson.
NCTerrier

Postby Rowdy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:44 pm

NCTerrier wrote:Not to make excuses, but isn't Ben John just 20-22 years old? If memory serves me right, the building was completed just as Morrison arrived. Of course, then we were NAIA and it was a major step up from Andrews. Even with a new vision of moving up to DI, a new arena was obviously out of the question for many years hence. While I recognize the need to seriously upgrade the facility, I would imagine the idea of throwing away a 20-year old building seems wasteful to many.

I would think that with all the talent that has graced the Wofford campus, someone could come up with a plan to remodel Ben Johnson.

Add 10 years to your thought process. I think the building was built in the late 70s versus the late 80s as you remember. So my memory says the BenJo is 30-32 years old. Much too young for a tear down when we have more pressing needs. Perhaps a good remodel would be all it needs as you have suggested. (I'm sure someone will dig through their archives and settle this question)
Rowdy

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:17 pm

I don't know what happened to the focus. When described to me, it was to be a later add-on to the facility. The shift may not be RJ's doing. David Wood served as AD in-between Morrison and Johnson. I don't want to point a finger at anyone, it may have just been a situation of sitting on the 'to do" list for a long time but being a big enough project that other smaller things have continually jumped over it.

I do not advocate tearing down Benjamin Johnson Arena. I think it has many possible uses even without the men's (or women's) basketball programs. But, aside from Marsh Hall (which should be condemned and imploded), I can think of no other building on-campus that needs as much work.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:26 pm

94 Cat, while I respect and appreciate your comments, I feel that
the difference in the two schools is a major factor.

As are most NC schools, Davidson is heavily basketball oriented
and your endowment is about the size of the country's gross
national product. As are most SC schools, Wofford is heavily
football oriented and we are still struggling to fully fund our foot-
ball team.

While I am not at all satisfied with our basketball program, I
don't think it should be a top priority at this time. I might add
I do respect and admire your school and your program.
terriers

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball