Appalachian State

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Appalachian State

Postby mjtorg on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:19 am

The forum is pretty quiet this week. Thought I'd get the ball rolling and see what all of you thought of tonights game with App State. Looks to me that we should match up pretty well and being a home game our chances are pretty good. :?:
mjtorg

Postby beacon_fan on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:42 pm

It sure would be nice to see the App-Sweep at home this year. We already have the hardest part out of the way!
beacon_fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:37 pm

ASU is a one point favorite
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:17 am

Terriers fall to 1-3 in the conference with Davidson coming to town this weekend. Dont know if it's too early, but it's close to being a must win to stay in the race for a 1st round bye in the conference tourney.

Got to improve on 42% from the foul line.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby beacon_fan on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:33 am

It would also be nice to score more than 49 points. Geez. I plan on making my first appearance this Saturday vs. Davidson. Let's hope we can put a few more points on the board then.
beacon_fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 am

I went to my first Terrier basketball game of the year last night. Tough to make too many observations just based on one night, but here it goes:

Terry Martin is going to be a great big man for us(I just wish he were taller). He uses his body extremely well to get position inside on both the offensive and defensive ends. There were a couple of times when the offensive player he was defending in the post would be on the block and by the time the pass got to him, he would be 10ft from the basket. He is very strong. We need to look inside to him more.

Matt Estep needs to play more. He is a smart player on a sometime not so smart basketball team. He plays really good defense also.

Whatley still seems to be hurting from that foot injury. Looked like he was being cautious. We need him down the stretch.

It will be interesting to see how Nixon develops. He just really doesn’t contribute out there right now. Maybe confidence will come with age.

Why don’t we go into the full court press early and often? We seem to have the depth at the guard position and decent speed. I think I ask this every year.

Lastly, it is amazing how the team responds when the crowd gets into the game. They really feed off the energy and play with so much more intensity. We need that for Davidson Saturday.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby mjtorg on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:54 am

Listened to the game last night and couldn't beleive the lack of crowd noise early on. This is a young team that should improve with game experience. Thought we missed a lot of second chance points in the paint. They defensed our outside game pretty well and for the most part outhustled us. I think , with the number of people we play, that we could press and run more. We had some uncontested turnovers that really put us in the hole. Gibson and Dahlman did not have a good game.
mjtorg

Postby dude on Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:59 am

Yeah, I don't understanding not pressing more, either. At least intermittently. Seems like it's something we do fairly well. And now that we've got some quick post players (Terry Martin and Tim Johnson), we ought to have an even greater chance of making steals. Of course, a big advantage in pressing is if you've got a big shot-blocker playing back, which we don't really have.

The crowd was great, I thought. I'm thrilled to see that.

My guess is that the Davidson crowd will be large and loud.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Everyone needs to remember that this is interim and the student crowd is always smaller this time of year due to the travel and internships that about half the student body take. Hard to cheer the team sitting on the back of an elephant in Nepal.
BossTerrier

Postby beacon_fan on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:36 pm

dude wrote:Yeah, I don't understanding not pressing more, either. At least intermittently.

I can understand why Mike isn't pressing that much. Gibson, Nichols, Estep, and even Salters aren't all that fast. Don't get me wrong, I this all of these guys are great players, they just aren't ideal for much pressing. You either want to have tall guards (Mike Lenzly, Lee Nixon, etc.) or really quick guards (Adrien Borders, etc.) Just because we have two possible All-Socon guards doesn't mean they are ideal for ball pressure in the full court. just my 2 cents.
beacon_fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:04 pm

beacon_fan wrote:
dude wrote:Yeah, I don't understanding not pressing more, either. At least intermittently.

I can understand why Mike isn't pressing that much. Gibson, Nichols, Estep, and even Salters aren't all that fast. Don't get me wrong, I this all of these guys are great players, they just aren't ideal for much pressing. You either want to have tall guards (Mike Lenzly, Lee Nixon, etc.) or really quick guards (Adrien Borders, etc.) Just because we have two possible All-Socon guards doesn't mean they are ideal for ball pressure in the full court. just my 2 cents.

I think it is a differnece in philosophy. I don't see what it could hurt to through it in there. The only true way to beat a press is to score on it quickly in transition. The main reason I love the press is not to get turnovers, but to get the opposing offense out of rhythm. You can do that without having great speed, but you do need great execution.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball