Avoiding a Letdown now is a huge key to the season

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Avoiding a Letdown now is a huge key to the season

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:06 pm

There is no doubt that last's night's victory at Purdue was a great win for Wofford and for the entire Southern Conference. Wins like this tell me that this team, despite its limited budget and scholarships, has very impressive talent on it, and it tells me that Mike Young and his staff have recruited very well. Our problem in the past (besides injuries), however, has been consistency, a problem that, to me, at least, has already reared its ugly head once this season, when we followed up a huge conference victory at North Division favorite UNC-Greensboro up with a real stinker at Elon. Elon is a team that has been pegged for the basement of the North, yet that game never really was that close. Then we had a good performance in a loss at SEC foe Alabama, then the huge win at Purdue last night, two good performances in a row. But what will we now do for an encore? The next opponent is Texas Southern in Las Vegas, a team that we really should beat. But will we beat them? They don't have a name like Purdue, and in the past we've followed up big wins with bad losses, and I just hope it doesn't happen again. This is a program that's always stuggled to find consistency, aqnd that's its biggest weakness. Coach Young and his staff need to emphasize every game as a big game. The players need to play every game as if it were the biggest game of the season yet. I'm not sure that's always happened, and I sincerely hope that it can start happening now, so the Purdue win will be a springboard to great things and not just one inspired performance. After Texas Southern, we will play either UT-Pan American or Betune-Cookman in Vegas (both of which are very much winnable games for us), and then we get 4 straight home games (Chattanooga, West Virginia Wesleyan, App. State, and Davidson) 3 of these 4 games are home games against some of the SoCons's best teams, whereas one is a gimme. The 3 conference games will go a long way towards deciding if we will be a SoCon contender or not. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I'm hoping we can win the two Las Vegas games as well as at least 2 of the 3 big SoCon home games I mentioned, along with the gimme vs. West Virginia Wesleyan. I think that if we stay fired up and play to our full potential that we are fully capable of just that. But a loss to Texas Southern, and I'll be saying "here we go again." We've simply GOT to avoid that kind of letdown that has plagued us so many times before.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrierbob on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:38 pm

It falls on the shoulders of the coaches and senior leadership. Let's hope the injury gremlin stays away, too. Maybe the new Strength and conditioning coach can help with that.
terrierbob

Postby Rowdy on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:15 pm

Let's hope the injury gremlin stays away

Understand Watley has cracked ribs from the E-loan game.
Rowdy

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:53 am

I agree. We can't play well at Alabama and beat Purdue and then get routed by Texas Southern. Likewise, we can't let ourselves get destroyed by 20+ in conference games and create a losing streak like we have in recent seasons. Hopefully we can string some wins together. It sure would be nice to come out of this seaosn with a winning record.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:39 am

Texas Southern is just 1-9...we better beat them
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby beacon_fan on Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:00 pm

This has been a pretty crazy travel schedule for the team.

Elon -> Alabama -> Indiana -> Las Vegas

all in the past 8 days.
beacon_fan

Return to Men's Basketball