UNCG @ Wofford

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

UNCG @ Wofford

Postby beacon_fan on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:27 pm

Nichols, Gibson and Estep are all playing! 8 minutes left in the half. Down 17-14
beacon_fan

Postby beacon_fan on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:45 pm

down 3, 1:17 to play
beacon_fan

Postby beacon_fan on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:55 pm

WHOOOOO!!!!! Terriers win!
beacon_fan

Postby TennesseeTerrier on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Terriers win -- at the buzzer.
TennesseeTerrier

Postby beacon_fan on Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:56 pm

9 down with 3:30 to play. We were down two, and Gibson hit a 3 with about 4 seconds left to play. Very exciting last few minutes.
beacon_fan

Postby beacon_fan on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:09 pm

I don't know if it's just me, but I think our radio guys are some of the best that I have heard. Although they are pro-wofford, they do seem impartial most of the time.
beacon_fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:10 pm

Great win for Wofford! Sure beats getting hammered by UNC-G like last year. Wins like this are what we need to build off of. Plus, it doesn't hurt that people were back form injuries.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:12 pm

beacon_fan wrote:I don't know if it's just me, but I think our radio guys are some of the best that I have heard. Although they are pro-wofford, they do seem impartial most of the time.

I agree. Our radio guys do a great job. The perfect mix of pro-Wofford and impartiality.

I listened to part of the Montana football game on the Montana network and those guys were horrible. Way too much homerism and no skill on the play calls. In most cases I felt like they were describing plays after they happened, not as they were developing as our guys do.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:06 pm

Great win for Wofford tonight.

Our offense isn't as fluid as I'd like to see still. But we played pretty tough, really crashed the boards, hustled on defense. That's about all you can ask for from the guys. And they made a few key plays when it counted and won. A super way to start the conference season.

A few things I noticed:

-Noah Dahlman is good. He's going to take some time figuring things out some, I think, but he's awfully tough and can really rebound.

-Drew Gibson is deceptively quick. He gets into the lane on people frequently and can create space for himself to shoot -- which he did on the game-winning score. He sometimes doesn't make great plays when he gets into the lane, but sometimes he does. I think our post guys need to be ready for a pass.

-Drew also played a lot of minutes. It'll be real important to keep him rested enough and out of foul trouble.

-Corey Godzinski could really be a key for this team -- a tall kid who can shoot. But he played very little in the second half.

-It was good to see Matt Estep make a couple three-pointers. If he can give us a shooting lift off the bench, that could be real factor this year.

-Shane Nichols took some questionable shots, I thought, and missed a fair number. But he's a real good player. Having him back in the line-up is HUGE.

-Someone -- I think it was Shane Nichols -- got absolutely hammered going for a steal in the last minute. The refs didn't call it. Mike Young looked like he might go after the ref. I thought it was just a terrible no-call. We hung tough, though, and pulled out the win.

-Small crowd. I was disappointed by that. But it got loud toward the end of the game. Benjamin Johnson Arena has the potential to be a real homecourt advantage for Wofford.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:19 pm

Thanks, Dude, for that excellent game analysis. This is certainly a
pleasant surprise.
terriers

Postby Newest Terrier Fan on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:23 am

You folks will fall in love with Noah and his game. He'll never not make a play because he was loafing. The hardest worker I've ever seen on the glass. He'll become a magician on the offensive glass in college too.
Newest Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:36 am

Great to hear from the Minnesota folks.

Noah seems to be a great kid. And he is a mighty good rebounder, looks to me. And he got 12 points in his first Southern Conference game. A really, really good game.

I hope things are going well for him here in the South.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Sparklepup on Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:10 pm

Impressive win Saturday night for Mike and the guys. If we stay healthy this should be a solid year for the Terrier bball program!!
Sparklepup

Postby terriers on Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:21 pm

Dahlman sounds like a Mike Ayers type recruit. I just hope he
learns to like grits and doesn't get hurt. His type aggressiveness
may be just what this team needs.
terriers

Postby beacon_fan on Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:40 pm

This is good to hear. I'm having trouble thinking of a player at Wofford that plays like Noah. I think Bishop Ravanel was the last post player that was a really excelled at defense and rebounding. It really helps a team to have someone who can dominate the glass like Noah seems to be able to do.
beacon_fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball