Wofford @ Wisconsin on ESPN2

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby dude on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:00 pm

Our women's team was better last season than the year before, I think. It seems to me that Coach Edgar Farmer has things moving in a positive direction, on the whole. One could argue against playing a team like UNC, but Farmer is a UNC alum.

So is Coach Ed Geth. He played for Dean Smith and has a 1993 national championship ring.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:16 pm

OK WOCOWoman and Dude,

I know the female teams work hard and the basketball team was a bit better last year than the year before. That's all very nice. But you've missed my point. These teams are fully funded with scholarships and get their share of the funding for coaches and travel expenses. Yet they do not excel in any sport. At the same time, our male teams are ALL underfunded in scholarships and get nowhere near the coaching salary or travel expense of their competitors. Yet they compete ....football especially. Even the mens basketball team has been competitive. I can't recall a 60 point blowout since we've been Div 1 for the guys. But when I look at the complaining on this board, it's all directed to the men. WHY? Why when the women get more than their fair share and don't deliver? (fair share is my own determination). Just seems the anger and complaints on this board are misdirected.
Rowdy

Postby dude on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:11 pm

I wasn't aware of scholarship levels for women's basketball. Surely I would hope the AD holds that program and others to a solid standard.

But I think in fairness to Coach Farmer, the program was pretty much at the nadir when he took over. He was the third coach in as many seasons. It was a real low-point, and no matter how many scholarships you've got, it's going to take a little time. I too hope that the women's team -- and men's as well -- will establish a winning tradition.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby beacon_fan on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:25 am

I've got to back coach Farmer here. I think he has done a great job since taking over a few years back. When he first started we were very likely the worst D-1 team in college basketball. Right now we are 3-4 and I think those are all D-1 games. I certainly can't recall the mens team ever losing by 60 since going D-1, but I know we got destroyed when traveling down to Austin a few years back. I seem to think it was around a 45+ point loss.
beacon_fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:30 am

I probably tend to direct mist of my criticism toward the men's sports, but the problems are system wide. When you've been in a conference for 10+ years and have only 3 championships (and one of those fluky in nature) to show for it, you can't be considered competitive. I know we had ground to catch up coming in, but still. I don't expect us to win everything all the time, but having at least one team win the SoCon in something each year should be a reasonable goal for us.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball