Postby terriers on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:20 pm

Playing these heavyweights has never gotten us ready for the
conference before. Unless its for the money, I see no reason at
all to play these games. All its netted us in the past is embarrass-
ment and crippling injuries. To date this season looks like the
latest rendition of a broken record.
terriers

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:07 pm

It definitely is about the money. These games help fund the basketball budget for the year I assume and I dont really have a problem with it and know it's a sign of the times.

My desire is for Wofford to be competitive year in and year out in the SOCON, meaning shooting for a .500 record or better each year and occasionally getting a 1st round bye in the tourney
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:59 pm

I'd just settle for a winning record overall. We haven't had one of those since moving to D1. And while I generally tow the company line, if I don't see progress soon in the win/loss column, I am going to become a vocal critic.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby NCTerrier on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:32 pm

This has been the case for years. I really have no reason to believe that there is change on the horizon. To be honest, if we were to have any measure of success this year, I would be apt to chalk it up to a fluke rather than thinking we have turned some corner.
NCTerrier

Postby dude on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:17 pm

It's not a blanket excuse, by any means. But to discount the impact injuries have had on Wofford's program over the last six seasons (leading scorer lost to a season-ending injury four out of five seasons, Shane Nichols out of line-up so far this year) would be a real mistake. It's hard to turn a corner when every year seemingly brings a major injury to a key player....the leading scorer, in fact.

I really feel that if Wofford can get Shane Nichols back in the line-up and we can get a little confidence, this could be a pretty good year. We've got some help in the paint, we've got experienced guards. We've got some decent depth. Nichols, Drew Gibson, and Junior Salters ought to be a pretty athletic backcourt tandem, I would think.

Past this year, we've got to figure out the point guard situation. And I think the development of Corey Godzinski is a key -- A) I figure we're going to need some outside shooting after Shane graduates and B) at his height he's a guy who could give other teams some real problems. I think Terry Martin and Noah Dahlman may develop into very, very good players at Wofford.

Maybe I'm an optimist by choice. But I do think that if you look at the whole context of things in recent years, it's tough to really know -- so I'd prefer to look at the positives. But, either way, we'll see how things go this year. Again, I'm real hopeful.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby NCTerrier on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:24 pm

I am certainly hopeful things to go well.
NCTerrier

Postby Rowdy on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:49 pm

Dude makes some very good points. We've had key injuries in the past few years and they have kept us from achieving our maximum potential. I think Mike Young is a good coach and he has a decent staff. As with all sports at Wofford, we're playing at a disadvantage to all of our competition in regard to scholarships and other funding. Yet we field decent teams, even winning championships in Baseball and Football. Being down a couple of scholarships in basketball means that when we have an injury, especially to a key player, we don't have the depth to adjust to it. B*tch all you want, but until we have the money to compete with the Appys, Purple Pukes, and convicts from GSU, we have an uphill battle.
Rowdy

Postby Ruckus on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:56 am

Furman is in worse shape than we are. Thankfully.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:46 am

Ruckus wrote:Furman is in worse shape than we are. Thankfully.

For once...
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:05 am

They were pretty bad last year too (although they beat us at their place).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:52 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:I'd just settle for a winning record overall. We haven't had one of those since moving to D1. And while I generally tow the company line, if I don't see progress soon in the win/loss column, I am going to become a vocal critic.

I am with you Eyes. We have been a bad basketball team for some time now. Yes, we have had injuries...but is that due to lack of strength and conditioning...I don't know. We have to quite saying "oh, we are just unlucky". I am tired of that excuse.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby beacon_fan on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:49 pm

ShortHairedDog wrote:...but is that due to lack of strength and conditioning...

I don't think this is a huge problem. Are we the strongest or fastest team in the socon? no. There is definitely some room for improvement here, but the worst injuries we have had were things that you really can't prepare for.

Justin Stevens - Freak Knee accident. Very very very rare.
Howard Wilkerson - ACL
Eric Marshal - ACL
Shane Nichols - quad tear.
beacon_fan

Postby beacon_fan on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:54 pm

terriers wrote:Unless its for the money, I see no reason at
all to play these games.

First, it is absolutely for the money. I'm pretty sure we have (or had) the smallest men's basketball budget in the socon. It wasn't even close if I remember correctly. I think some teams in the socon were between $500K - $1MM and we were around $275K. We really do need to get our scholarships up to the maximum to really compete year in and year out. No offense to this years team, but right now we are having to play walk-ons, which really shouldn't happen much.

Second, the players love to play in these types of games. It's a lot of fun to travel to these big schools and play on a big stage. Let's not forget that we have beaten the likes of Clemson, Va Tech, and Auburn over the past 6 or 8 years, so we aren't getting blown out in ALL of them.
beacon_fan

Postby Ex Terrier OLB on Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:40 pm

My parents were two of the only Terrier Fans at the game and they wore the gold and black proudly. I only watched on T.V. and was a little embarrassed with our performance. Someone please tell me the future is bright? If it isn't, what do we need to do? Better facilities? A new coach? Better recruiting? The only thing that has me feeling good about this basketball season is Furman's 0-7 record.
Ex Terrier OLB

Postby Rowdy on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:05 pm

what do we need to do? Better facilities? A new coach? Better recruiting? The only thing that has me feeling good about this basketball season is Furman's 0-7 record.

I think the first thing that needs to be done, and this is only my 2 cents worth, is get up to the max level of scholarships. We've had some good recruits in past years under Mike Young, but as soon as one gets injured, we only have a walk-on to replace him. That doesn't cut it in the SoCon nor the national caliber schools we schedule.

The second area we need to improve in is the Basketball budget. I don't think we have the cash today to recruit nationally much less internationally. It takes money to keep coaches on the road and we don't have it

Now once we take care of the two items above, and we don't see marked improvement, it's then time to look at the head coach and then the facilities. Let's not put the cart before the horse on this one.
Rowdy

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball