Page 1 of 2

Game tonight vs. Lees-McRae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:42 pm
by woffordgrad94
Well, tonight we start our home schedule with a pretty lame tilt against a d-2 team that went 6-22 last year, and the game is exhibition for them and a real game for us. This game will not help our team, will tell us nothing about what we have this year, and will not attract much attendance. I wish we were playing another mid-major at home, like Jacksonville State, James Madison, Coastal Carolina, UNC-Asheville, USC-Upstate, Presbyterian, etc. (there's so many teams we COULD have scheduled instead of these d-2 and NAIA cream puffs, but didn't). All that being sais, I'm still going- it IS the first home game, and Tuesdays are pretty boring. Anybody else going to BenJo?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:01 pm
by ShortHairedDog
I will try to make it for the first half.

I agree with you, I would love to see more mid major opponents. It seems like we are either playing a top 20 team or an NAIA team before we hit the conference schedule. I would love to get some games in there that we can relate to our conference so we know a little more about ourselves before we hit Janurary.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:52 pm
by beacon_fan
The game tonight isn't going to be a pushover. We are missing a couple of key players and Lees-McRae is better than you think. I followed their score on the ticker with UNC-A this weekend, and it was close all during the first half.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:37 pm
by BossTerrier
Joke game, Wofford by 30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:35 pm
by Rowdy
I wish we were playing another mid-major at home, like Jacksonville State, James Madison, Coastal Carolina, UNC-Asheville, USC-Upstate, Presbyterian, etc. (there's so many teams we COULD have scheduled instead


I agree with all of these options with the exception of USC-U. We should never schedule them because it gives them too much credibility in the Spartanburg student recruiting arena.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:58 pm
by BossTerrier
BossTerrier wrote:Joke game, Wofford by 30


sorry, make that Wofford by 42!
Beacon Fan, no offense, but I think your scouting may need a little work, or else you really underestimated the t-dogs!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:58 pm
by NCTerrier
Rowdy wrote:
I wish we were playing another mid-major at home, like Jacksonville State, James Madison, Coastal Carolina, UNC-Asheville, USC-Upstate, Presbyterian, etc. (there's so many teams we COULD have scheduled instead


I agree with all of these options with the exception of USC-U. We should never schedule them because it gives them too much credibility in the Spartanburg student recruiting arena.


Are we really recruiting the same kids for academics or athletics??

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:08 pm
by NCTerrier
80-38 final. Sounded pretty easy.

Freshman Noah Dahlman scored 15 points and pulled down 12 rebounds for Wofford
Lees-Mcrae shot 18.6 percent (11-of-59) from the field, while the Terriers shot 56.6 percent (30-of-53).
Wofford put it away with a 28-1 run in the first half and led 42-10 at halftime.
All 11 Terriers who played scored.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:24 pm
by Eyes of Old Main
NCTerrier wrote:Are we really recruiting the same kids for academics or athletics??


I sure hope not on both accounts. However, I also favor not playing them. No reason to acknowledge their program or help it get started since nothing would be worse than being upstaged locally by them in a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:43 pm
by beacon_fan
beacon_fan wrote:The game tonight isn't going to be a pushover. We are missing a couple of key players and Lees-McRae is better than you think. I followed their score on the ticker with UNC-A this weekend, and it was close all during the first half.


I take it all back!

Lees McRae game

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
by woffordgrad94
Drew Gibson played very little, especially after halftime...Coach Young said on the radio that he tweaked his hamstring late in the first half, though he doesn't think it's anything really serious. Drew finished with only 1 point tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:03 pm
by woffordgrad94
NCTerrier wrote:
Rowdy wrote:
I wish we were playing another mid-major at home, like Jacksonville State, James Madison, Coastal Carolina, UNC-Asheville, USC-Upstate, Presbyterian, etc. (there's so many teams we COULD have scheduled instead


I agree with all of these options with the exception of USC-U. We should never schedule them because it gives them too much credibility in the Spartanburg student recruiting arena.


Are we really recruiting the same kids for academics or athletics??


I don't understand. This game could be a HUGE rivalry...an event for the city of Spartanburg. It could mean a packed arena. And Upstate isn't as bad a school as some of you seem to think...I know some people that have gone there- they have tough classes and professors just like Wofford. Their graduates can get good jobs. It's not as bad as Gardner-Webb, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:10 pm
by TURKEYCREEK
I agree that there is no reason not to play Upstate in basketball. The basketball rivalry with Upstate when I was at Wofford was a big deal and it always produced big crowds and good games.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:49 pm
by walliver
The series with USC-Upstate didn't last very long. When USCS first went four-year status and joined the NAIA, Wofford refused to play them for several years. Later, a series was started and home-and-home series were every year. Later on, but well before our move to D-I, the series died off and hasn't been played in a good while. I don't know why the series was dropped, but I suspect whatever issues were present may still be there.

Unfortunately, I suspect the Upstate basketball program, especially with a new arena, will leave us behind before too long.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:28 pm
by Eyes of Old Main
I still am not captivated by the thought of playing Upstate. You say that the game would attract fans, but whose? I doubt Upstate is an attractive opponent to most Wofford fans, so really you are saying we could use it as an opportunity to sell some tickets to their fans. Then again, since we seem unable to get D-I games in our building OOC, maybe that would give us one. Personally, I'd rather see us get rocked by South Carolina, Clemson, NC State or Georgia Tech and pickup a check that can benefit our programs than to play Upstate and play host to a few moms and girlfriends.