[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
• View topic - 2020-21 Season

2020-21 Season

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2020-21 Season

Postby lawdog on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm

OK, it is very early, but no harm in taking a stab at our starting 5:

Murphy at PG is a lock, one of our best ever. Chevez too; finished very strong and should be a linchpin inside. Messiah finished strong too, and should really build on this year, be consistent and physical, limit fouls. Bigelow had some great games for us, and should really help with scoring and inside game ... needs to work on rebounding, D, and creating his shot ... great potential. Ryan Larson should be a leader and beacon for heart, tough D and smarts; needs to improve O ... may get pushed.

This would give us a starting lineup with 6-8, 6-7, and 6-6, with a 7 footer, 6-8 and 6-8 off the bench. Off the bench to shoot it would be Hollowell, Klesmit, Safford, and Turner. Need to shoot well to be successful ... the talent is there. To defend and make hustle plays will be important, featuring Richardson.

Hollowell should play an important role, esp. shooting; needs to improve his D and ball handling. Appelgren needs to get healthy and give us valuable minutes inside ... think he will. Richardson offers toughness and lockdown D ... needs to improve O. Safford will hopefully come back from injury and again show promise he showed as Fr., especially as shooter.

Newcomers Klesmit, Keaton Turner, Godwin and Pringle all show promise for early minutes. Practice competition should be intense ... we are lucky to have quality options.
Last edited by lawdog on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2020-21 Season

Postby boulder3m on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:00 pm

Good post and summation, LD. If I were Coach Mac I would be really looking forward to next year. He will start getting his own players worked into the lineup.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:54 pm

I've said elsewhere, but don't mind writing it here, too: I think our team could be pretty special next season. The prospect of Messiah Jones and Chevy Goodwin getting significant minutes in the paint together is a big deal. Those are two very, very talented players who, in my opinion, could complement each other very nicely. Could be as good a frontcourt -- offensively, anyway -- as Wofford has had in the D-1 era. I know that is saying a lot. Obviously, the Dahlman and Johnson tandem was fabulous; Jackson and Aluma were terrific. But I think Jones has a chance to be one of the best players we have had, and Goodwin is very, very talented, too. From there, we can look at Storm Murphy -- an experienced point guard who can set people up to score and also hit his own shot pretty consistently. That trio could be outstanding.

Replacing Nathan Hoover is no small thing. He really had a darn good season, all in all. He didn't put up Magee-type numbers. And his shooting percentage -- especially from 3-point range -- may not have been great. But, during conference action, he scored consistently well, overall. And he showed terrific versatility, finding lots of ways to score. And, by the way, Stumpe and Theme-Love were very good players, too. Stumpe, in particular, brought a whole lot to the table, in terms of versatility and savvy, I think. But Hoover is the one guy who was truly a key just about game-in, game-out.

We might not have a guard next season who's as good a scorer as Hoover, but there are possibilities: If Tray Hollowell can put it all together, he could be a high-level scorer. Isaiah Bigelow has shown flashes of outstanding play -- could have a breakout sophomore season. I have heard good things about Morgan Safford, and I think that Max Klesmit might be a significant and very good contributor as a freshman.

I hope the off-season is good. It's such a crazy time. How are classes being handled? Is the "distance learning" making it harder on kids' grades, or easier? Is this a concern for anyone? Are the coaches able to keep everyone engaged and ready to come back? Or are they back home, getting influenced by a lot of different folks who may be promoting this or that? I read an article about the number of kids in the transfer portal. UNC-Charlotte, which has a second-year coach and coming off a winning season, has FOUR players planning to leave. I haven't heard anything at all about Wofford guys in this regard, but the situation with COVID-19 makes everything so up in the air, and I just wonder how it may affect the mindset of everyone. It's, again, an unprecedented situation.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 pm

And just like that....

Chevy Goodwin has entered the transfer portal.

Dang.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:47 pm

After four years Chevez likely has necessary credits for his undergrad degree and is going to parlay his considerable basketball skills into a year of grad school; should draw significant interest. Will miss him for sure but wish him well.

Among Appelgren, Richardson, Pringle, and Godwin, we should be able to essentially make up for the absence of Chevez. And there well may be another recruit out there with some size, skill and desire for early PT who will now be delighted to be a short haired dog!
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:36 pm

Losing Chevez hurts, but this appears to be the best move for his future. As long as he doesn't end up elsewhere in the SoCon I am cool with it.

This being said, lacking any sort of grad program is starting to hurt us more and more across all sports. I get that it is not considered to be a part of the mission of the College, but with all the growth in other areas and the obvious focus on raising our national profile it sure seems like this should be something on Wofford's radar. Master's programs used to exist at Wofford, but were discontinued forever ago (the 1930's, I think).
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18 '19
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18 '19
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:39 pm

Yeah, tricky about no grad school. I didn't know Wofford used to offer master's degrees.

I did know that Wofford used to have a prep school of some sort. Maybe that's the ticket....to start a basketball-focused prep school to funnel player right in. Ha!

While I don't imagine Wofford will launch full-scale graduate program anytime soon, I do wonder if there might be some NCAA-approvable partnerships or hybrid programs that could work for athletes who may want to stay at WoCo for a fifth season while pursuing a graduate or professional degree. Maybe even some online stuff. I mean, it shouldn't be a sham. But it does seem like there might be ways to set up something that would be productive for the student, acceptable for the NCAA, and respectable for the college.

Anyway, losing Chevy is no small thing. The guy can play. As I've said over and over, I think he and Messiah could've been a truly outstanding tandem in the frontcourt. Puts some pressure on Appelgren or one of the recruits to be ready to go....
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 am

Next man up ... man up.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm

SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18 '19
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18 '19
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:41 pm

players lost (Goodwin, Cottrell, Manning). Goodwin obviously toughest lost. the other two I believe were walk-ons and likely a space to play somewhere or continue education somewhere.

no surprise if Chevez ends up at VT at this point (which would be good for him I'm sure) but kind of suck if being honest. looks like Arkansas, Oregon State, numbers of others interested.

my prediction is that we haven't closed out our transfer portal yet (I still think one more may be left). I also think we will be signing an incoming transfer/possibly two. wouldn't be surprised to see us land a guard that sits out and could help replace Storm/Tray in 21-22. I also think we need a big that can play asap, has some experience, and can give depth in the post. hopefully we can find one via waiver exception.
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:38 pm

So walkon Cottrell is transferring to a place he can get PT? Walkon Manning is planning to play elsewhere as a fifth-year grad?

Getting a couple of talented transfers, esp. a big, sounds good.
Last edited by lawdog on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:04 pm

Man, I sure hope we don't lose any other key players....
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:18 pm

https://www.goupstate.com/sports/202003 ... om-wofford

Chevy's thoughts re: his transfer...predicts good things for next year's team; much success to him.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:14 pm

Beautifully said by Chevez, pure and simple. In him we have a lifetime supporter and credit to our college. Intaminatus fulget honoribus.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:32 pm

A nice interview with Chevy. He sounds very classy. I'm sorry that he is leaving -- and the whole grad school angle is worth Wofford's considering (again, if hybrid possibilities or whatever exist) -- but it is an understandable situation. I hope things go well for him.

I liked that Chevy mentioned recruits and returning players by name, by the way.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball