Mike Young

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Mike Young

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:48 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:I am proud of coach Young. He is a great coach and a great man. I just wish he’d left Aluma alone...dead horse I know.

Selflessly devoted to Wofford until he wasn't.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18 '19
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18 '19
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:00 pm

I don't begrudge MY or Keve actually. You have to do what you feel is best for the young man. If Keve thought his best opportunity was elsewhere then that is his right. We have quality student athletes still here and we will continue to support them as we always do. Knowing MY personally, I wish nothing for the best for him at Tech. He served us well while he was here and we having nothing to be upset about IMO.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:29 am

I don't begrudge Coach Young going to Virginia Tech. They offered more money, a bigger stage and a proximity to home and family that Wofford could not match. If it was about moving up at the first good opportunity then he would have gone to Charleston years before or maybe even another opportunity that we never even heard about. Again, I have no heartburn whatsoever about Mike Young's decision to leave. He now has the chance to answer the question of whether or not he can be successful at a higher level and set himself up for a very comfortable retirement which is well deserved. Everything he accomplished at Wofford stands and he will be revered here forever. The only thing this likely costs him at Wofford is having the court named after him possibly which is something he may or may not even care about.

My issue is, was and will always be the the way things played out after his departure. Even if things were different behind the scenes, you have to acknowledge that it looks at least a bit fishy that rotation player transfers and a commit flips as quickly as they did after the change. Its true that once they are no longer attached to Wofford they can go anywhere that will have them and they obviously already had relationships with Young, but there's no way to avoid seeing this as a self-serving move at Wofford's expense. Even if those guys reached out to Coach Young he should have wished them well and moved on in another direction with his recruiting for Virginia Tech if he didn't want there to be a perception that it was a poaching scenario. Again, it may not have been driven by Young, but the fact that he agreed to take them opens him up to the appearance and lingering questions that will never go away.

Mike Young is the most successful basketball coach in Wofford history and that will not change for a long time, if ever. All I'm saying is that his actions since leaving have tainted his legacy in a way that can not be taken back for many Terrier fans. Maybe not all, but definitely some. Young probably isn't too concerned about that since he has another program to worry about now, but the optics of this certainly are not consistent with the image that he crafted over 30 years in Spartanburg.
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 am

Eyes,

I could ot diagree with your closing sentiments any more than I do. Grudges are a bad thing to hold. Let it go.
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby Lowcountry Pops on Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:17 pm

The way I understand things, CMY did not poach Keve. Actually, he tried to talk him into staying at Wofford. But, by that time, Keve had already put himself in a tight spot with his teammates. Due to the influence of the people in his inner circle, he had already decided to transfer. At such time, CMY would have been foolish not to accept his transfer considering the roster he had just inherited.
Lowcountry Pops
Terrier Pup

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:05 pm

We are entering a period of near free agency in the NCAA, whether we like it or not. Mike Young is showing he can coach at any level, and it only reflects well on Wofford. There is no doubt that Wofford has achieved the highest level of respect in the mid majors, and no school would be accused of scheduling a cupcake when we come to town. I hope we continue to play anywhere and everywhere. It only helps our prestige and spreads the Wofford name. It is up to our Wofford folks to show how good we are in the classroom and how much fun our students have supporting our sports.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:12 pm

I was very clear that I did not have a problem with Young's decision. Accepting Virginia Tech's offer made sense on a number of levels. I don't even have a problem with Aluma transferring if he thinks he can do better or be happier someplace else. Same goes for Cattoor. My issue is with both players ending up at a school that had no other connection to them other than that their former/prospective coach had just relocated there. One of Young's biggest initial challenges in Blacksburg is to rebuild a roster decimated by departures and adding these two helped that along. Cattoor is playing and starting some and Aluma will provide depth next year. These were opportunistic moves, but certainly not classy ones.

I agree that having Coach Young move on to Virginia Tech grants some exposure to Wofford, but that crest of that wave has passed. When the Hokies make the NCAA tournament this year no one is going to care that the coach that lead it came from Wofford. From here on, our program will be lead on the court and in the press by Jay McAuley. It is true that our program is now recognized by those in the know as a quality mid-major and the overall improvement of the SoCon has helped. I believe our future is bright and more championships will be won. In the end, it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks because wins and losses will tell the tale from here.
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:31 pm

Lowcountry Pops wrote:The way I understand things, CMY did not poach Keve. Actually, he tried to talk him into staying at Wofford. But, by that time, Keve had already put himself in a tight spot with his teammates. Due to the influence of the people in his inner circle, he had already decided to transfer. At such time, CMY would have been foolish not to accept his transfer considering the roster he had just inherited.

Thanks Pops, this rings true.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:37 pm

I’m sure Lowcountry Pops knows what he’s talking about and that’s great to know that MY did not “recruit” Keve to VT. The situation seemed fishy to me and I and some others jumped to conclusions. I have a tendency to do that as I am quite cynical of this world. But MY was always a very good guy during my time at Wofford. I had him for a PE class and it was bery enjoyable. I really want to like the guy and root for him and now I feel like I can again!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:38 pm

Maybe it's the freshness of the new coach in the ACC doing better than expected; yet, in watching the Hokies' broadcasts on ESPN or ACC network this season, Coach Young's Wofford connection has been noted and celebrated each time. During yesterday's VT vs Syracuse game, the announcers raved about the Terriers' victory in last season's NCAA tourney and the battle vs. KY and how the next Wofford squad was doing in a loaded SoCon. (ETSU got a lot of love??) And was not too shabby that the night before Wofford was the national ESPNU broadcast as we hosted Furman and more buzz was made about last season's team, Fletcher, Cam, the banners, etc. Let's continue to enjoy the publicity...

Excited to attend the VT vs. Boston College game this Saturday (at the "Heights") and visit with Coaches Mike, Kevin G, et al. One of MY's former players (who's attending medical school nearby) will be joining us.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:08 pm

Also, don't forget that Mike Young is married to Margaret, who is a Wofford grad and a very respected financial executive. As soon as Mike left Margaret was invited onto the Wofford Board. She is and will be a very valuable asset to us; and her heart, like Mike's will always be at Wofford. You can believe that Coach MY keeps a sharp eye on Wofford basketball.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:21 pm

I don't know why we are still debating it. bottom line is this:

Mike stayed at Wofford far past when most people would have. despite us never putting in the funds to pay him or his staff even on par with better SoCon coaches. they have 2 of the basketball scholarships named after him (likely because they make large contributions), give generously of time and money to the school, his wife is on the board, and more or less built the new arena (which doesn't happen without the winning).

Cattoor and Ervin were gone the second he took the job. he would be crazy not to recruit Hunter at that point. and even if he did call and recruit Keve (which hasn't been confirmed) then honestly it doesn't really matter on that part either.

we get spoiled at times with old school guys who stuck by Wofford despite the fact most would have left much earlier. the only question is if we ponied up years back when we had the chance, paid the asst coaches competitively, and talked JR into a raise for Mike is would that have helped?

you can't tell me Miller is worth 350-400k and Forbes 700-750k and we can't find money to pay Mike more than the reported salary he got his last year...
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:25 pm

I think we can all agree on the compensation issue. That has been an issue at Wofford forever and likely will not be changing anytime soon. We are fortunate that Wofford has such a strong culture and remaining there is so appealing. Honestly, that fact is one of the primary things that keeps our Athletic Dept. from being in a situation like Western Carolina.
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:45 pm

As far as compensation goes, there’s a 0% chance Wofford was ponying up to pay any coach $2.4M/yr. Was never going to happen with the current landscape of college sports. Power 5 schools have exponentially more resources than we do and that will continue for the foreseeable future. In addition, the challenge of coaching your hometown team in the ACC would be almost impossible to turn down. We got so many good years out of MY and I’ll be forever thankful for what he did for Wofford. This wasn’t Furman losing their coach to Drake, this was a coach going to the ACC. Vastly different from my point of view.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:40 am

I didn't blame anyone, really, on the deal with Hunter Cattoor. The kid was a recruit -- signed a LOI, which is a big deal, but not a student at the college, teammate, close to professors, someone's roommate, etc. I view things with Keve Aluma a little differently. I still don't feel too warmly about it. But if Lowcountry Pops has the story right, then I feel better about it. Either way, it doesn't make anyone a bad guy....maybe I'm the one who isn't reasonable here. I truly don't know.

But I saw where Coach Young tweeted a couple things about Wofford's win against Furman the other night. Looks like he's still keeping a look at things and is proud of the program. I appreciate that.

Overall, things suggest that it's so largely about the school and community and players and fans. Obviously, it takes good coaching to make it all work. But coaches -- even a longtime loyal guy like Mike Young -- may leave at some point. And might take -- one way or the other -- a couple players with him. I really like Jay McAuley. I think he was a great choice. And I'm impressed with the job he is doing. I hope he will be successful at Wofford and stay for a long time to come. But if he does well, he could very well leave within a few years. To keep things on track, it takes a commitment from the school (whatever that means....it isn't likely that WoCo will ever be among the top paying mid-major situations), support and enthusiasm from fans, and a tradition of excellence (which, yes, obviously does go back to the job done by coaches).

Meantime, there are potential positives for Wofford with Coach Young at Virginia Tech. Notoriety....mentions on tv every time he has a big win. Experience for Kevin Giltner and other young coaches. Maybe he'll see a recruit who doesn't quite fit for him at VT but who could really help Wofford.

It isn't the worst situation for us to be in...
dude
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball