scoring in the paint

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

scoring in the paint

Postby dude on Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:08 pm

Just an observation: Wofford offensive production in the paint, for a team that's undersized, has been pretty solid this season. At the center position, at least, it has been quite strong. Chevy was outstanding against UNCG and Samford. Someone involved in the program told me a while before the season began that Chevy could be one of the very best post players in the league, and that's exactly how he's looked, seems to me, the last couple of games.

Messiah has played well, too. Really tough and athletic. Seems to have a little of Dahlman's sense of spacing and timing around the basket.

Together, I think Chevy and Messiah are averaging around 20 points a game. That's been a consistent strength of the team. And it's nice that they can share minutes and we can mitigate foul trouble, if necessary. Kind of a bummer, though, to see Messiah play on 12 minutes last night.

I know, I am redundant on this topic -- the prospect of Chevy and Messiah playing more at the same time....We've got a four-guard lineup, almost exclusively, for a number of sensible reasons. And I imagine that our coaches will stick with it. And while Messiah was on the bench rather than in at the 4 to play alongside Chevy, Trevor Stumpe and Isaiah Bigelow were playing well. I guess it's not a bad problem to have when you're considering the various players who bring a lot to the table.

Anyway, wanted to note the strong play of Wofford's main post guys.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Re: scoring in the paint

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:10 pm

Dude, I think part of the problem with those 2 in at the same time is that neither seems to be able to (or just doesn't) shoot from the outside which causes some spacing issues. So they essentially play the same position. Messiah seems to be a better passer at this point but neither really attempts a shot more than 6-8 feet from the hoop. Stumpe is able to draw the D out enough to isolate the post player and give them room to work. Cam could at least step out and hit a few jumpers but that doesn't seem to be a forte of either of our current post guys. So playing them together sort of defeats the purpose as we don't need to have 2 posts in that clog the paint.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:47 pm

the other problem with both on the floor at one time is it has to be limited. they are our only two posts capable of solid minutes at this time. and if they get into foul trouble or both come out, we are at a big disadvantage.

i'd also just point out really that neither is a center. Messiah is more of a wing just guarding their big for necessity but tough in the post.

if you clog the lane with two guys who may struggle to shoot, i'm not sure you don't lose as much on offense as you gain on defense potentially.
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:46 pm

Not sure...Wofford has had a lot of teams with two guys playing mainly close to the basket. While Cam Jackson could hit a 3 from time to time, his game was close to the hoop, and certainly Keve Aluma stayed mainly in the lane. Dahlman and Johnson didn't take many outside shots. Skinner and Neumann played some together.

I would guess that Chevy and Messiah -- both attacking the rim, but both quite mobile -- could be a duo in the post that would give some teams fits. And while it would mean one fewer 3-point shooter, the balance might help perimeter scorers. And there's defense and rebounding.

But my guess is that our coaches A), as Terrierfan06 suggests, looked at the personnel and tried to figure out what would keep Chevy and Messiah reasonably well rested and protected from foul trouble and B) feel that a 4-guard approach has some advantages. I suppose I have challenged their wisdom slightly by speculating about the effectiveness of playing Chevy and Messiah at least SOME out there together. I want to be clear that I think the coaches have done a terrific job and that the lineups they've been playing have been (obviously) doing well.

So I trust that they have it correct. I also figure that if a team runs plays and practices sets designed for a 4-guard lineup, it might be dicey to change things up much during the season. I don't really know...But I was mostly just thinking about how well both Chevy and Messiah have been playing and that it seems a shame for either of them to be on the bench for over half the game. But it'd be shame for Stumpe and Bigelow to play much less, too....

Next season, we will hopefully have more depth and overall talent in the post, so it'll be interesting to see how rotations work then. Anyway, enjoying this season!
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:37 pm

Another good game in the post...against the Citadel. Chevy and Messiah combined for 18. Chevy could've had more, as he missed 4 foul shots. Also, he was 5-5 from the field. Citadel really couldn't guard him. Perhaps we should have gotten him the ball more. Either way, nice work by our inside guys.

David Appelgren got in the game for something like 40 seconds....was hoping to see him play a bit more.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:47 am

Dude- Good observation about Messiah and his basketball sense. He seems to see the game and floor and know where he needs to be to make plays. I watched Chevez carefully during the Citadel game and he really has improved his offensive skills. He is becoming a force inside and we definitely need it. We have played for awhile without consistent outside scoring. At this point Storm is in a shooting slump, while Nathan seems to be coming out of his slump a little. Trevor had a great rebounding game against Citadel, but no scoring. Isiah is becoming a big factor, and Zion seems to be getting more playing time. We need DTL and Tray to pick it up a little.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball