Hollowell might be a scoring machine...and other thoughts

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Hollowell might be a scoring machine...and other thoughts

Postby dude on Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:56 am

An interesting game tonight against NC Central, a team that was by no means great but also not terrible. They were pretty good. At times, their height and strength gave us real problems -- yes, we currently play as an undersized unit. Wofford went a good while in the second half struggling at both ends of the floor -- not a disaster....but trouble stopping NCCU and having a hard time getting good shots. Still, we pulled away in impressive fashion, and that was fun to watch.

A few observations:

**Tray Hollowell scored 17 points in just 24 minutes. He was 3 of 5 from 3-point range, and he got into the lane for layups with relative ease. Could be that he just had a good night -- excellent! But I'm thinking that if you added up minutes from all the games so far, Hollowell would be near the top for points-per-minute. Or maybe not. I haven't done the math. But against another solid mid-major team, William & Mary, he had 9 points in only 16 minutes. Hollowell can score.

**Isaiah Bigelow was impressive on offense. He scored 12 points in 20 minutes, and was 2-4 from 3-point range (with one that rimmed out). He has a nice touch from outside and is tall enough to compete in the paint. He has loads of talent, and I'm glad to see him worked into the rotation.

**It's tricky: The more one guy gets to play, it means fewer minutes for someone else, or for more than one someone else. And there are tradeoffs.....tonight, Trevor Stumpe didn't score, but he was valuable in other ways, including ball-handling and defense (3 steals). Larson hasn't scored a lot lately and didn't make a lot of shots tonight. But he played aggressively and got 4 points. He also led the team in assists. So, it's hard to say our coaches should switcheroo the lineup much....but it'll be interesting to see how minutes shake out as the season goes on.

**We are still playing a 4-guard lineup. David Appelgren dressed out but did not play. Having 4 guards on the floor brings certain advantages -- ball-handling, shooting, speed. But I continue to wonder if our coaches are considering ways to get Messiah Jones and Chevy Goodwin into the lineup together some. There were times against NC Central when we seemed a bit overmatched in the paint defensively and not so well balanced on the offensive end. The 4-guard approach will almost certainly figure in heavily, no matter what. But a Jones-Goodwin tandem in the paint for stretches might be effective. We'll see how all that shakes out...

**By the way, Jones didn't score much. But: 7 rebounds in only 15 minutes.

Glad to get to watch the win at JRIS tonight!
dude
True Terrier Fan

Re: Hollowell might be a scoring machine...and other thought

Postby youngterrier on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:16 am

We looked good. These young players are developing nicely.

I personally would like to see Bigelow and Hollowell in the starting lineup. Hollowell is a scoring machine, and defensively, those who know these things say he plays better than some of our current starter.

I think Bigelow is a solution to our size problem on defense, but also provides what we want on offense as well.

Again, I'm no basketball expert. But that's my opinion.

Regardless, I think we are getting better.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:01 pm

McAuley indicated that he was glad to see our bench contribute on both ends, which to me indicates he has not been pleased with defense to date. I suspect this is the reason Bigelow has had weird minutes so far this season. 19-2 run to end the game was reminiscent of a couple of games last year. We need to keep developing the bench now so that they are not lost when conference play begins.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Bigelow has not been good on the defensive end at times, and that's putting it nicely. but he is getting better. he would solve the issues with size on the wings should he continue to improve there, as he can score buckets in a hurry.

Tray has always been a guy that can score in bunches. he's your "microwave" guy off the bench, because he heats up quickly. I like him coming off the bench to start, because it balances scoring when the first sub comes in (if this is Larson than you suffer in rotations). notice though when the game was on the line it was Tray on the court instead.

Sometimes I think we are guilty of wanting size just for size. I worry that there are spacing issues and we suffer on offensive end if putting Jones and Bigelow in at the same time, although we could see this depending on the matchup (last night wasn't needed).

as for Stumpe, I am all for a world where Trevor Stumpe shoots more. I think at times he gets passive, but he does a ton of stuff that doesn't show in box scores. he has been defending solidly, he keeps the ball moving, he brings toughness, and him on the court spaces the floor for Chevez to get one on one matchups underneath.

I think what may have gone unnoticed by some, is that we got 9 really good mins from Zion too. he got after it on the defensive end, made a couple solid buckets, and brought some extra size and depth at the wing. We seem to have found a 8-9 man rotation that works (which sucks for DTL because his floor time has seemed to vanish now).

I am not sure we are going to see much from Appelgren at this point, unless the matchup calls for it. I think the more likely option is that he gets developed for year 2 or 3 at Wofford and can become a valuable bench guy. If he was floor ready now, with his size, we would have already seen him playing since he appears healthy now.
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:47 pm

You could be right about Appelgren. I do hope that maybe he's still getting into the flow of things and may be able to help at least a little by conference season. The fact that he isn't redshirting made me think that the coaches planed to play him some this year. But we'll see....

I agree about size for the sake of size. And I surely think our coaches know what they're doing and are assessing every angle (quickness, toughness, spacing and combinations, ballhandling and shooting). Perhaps we'll see continued tinkering with lineups.

Great point about Zion Richardson. He played well last night. He doesn't seem to be most explosive athlete out there or a tremendous shooter (though he may find his groove), but he's strong and seems confident in what he's doing. And when he gets a head of steam, he's evidently pretty tough to stop.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 pm

Great article by Todd on this. Like coach’s philosophy on D too. https://www.goupstate.com/sports/201912 ... ssion=true
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball