SoCon games

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

SoCon games

Postby Hobo on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:50 pm

UNCG at Kansas this evening. Will be interesting to see what they have.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Re: SoCon games

Postby boulder3m on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 pm

We all know UNCG has the talent, but they are looking pretty ragged against Kansas in the second half. They have a stable of big men, but they just lack cohesiveness. They just look as if they should be better than they play. I thought the Spaniard was a problem for UNCG last year, with his pouting and obvious displeasure with the coaching staff. Perhaps that will be erased this year and they will live up to their potential. Furman had a big win over Chicago Loyola tonight.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:32 am

Western is looking much improved. They have a transfer point guard who appears to be very good. I watched them win double overtime last night.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:13 pm

I would put the updated power rankings in the league right now as follows:

ETSU
Furman
UNCG
Western
Wofford
Mercer
Samford
Chattanooga
VMI
Citadel

I think ETSU is the deepest in terms of overall talent, size, athleticism... they have some weaknesses, but ones tough for most SoCon teams to find. Sadly, Furman is likely 2nd. they have a really solid 7-8 man rotation (and that's really all you need to compete). they have the size and athletes to matchup with ETSU, and the shooters to make them pay.

I am not down on this team at all, but being realistic 3rd is probably the ceiling, and 6th is probably the floor. I would think we likely end up 4-6 depending on the final outcomes.
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:37 pm

I saw that FU won by a point today against Texas-Arlington, a Sun Belt team picked in about the middle of the pack for that conference.

I'm possibly overly optimistic, so I don't know if I'm off-target here...But I think it may be tough to know where our team's at just yet. We've had a pretty bruising schedule so far. I wasn't too discouraged by the losses at Butler and Missouri. The S. Florida loss bothered me more -- but I saw where they'd had 7 days off to prepare, while we were on our 3rd (far) away game in 6 days. I also think William & Mary may be pretty good -- and a tough matchup for us with their 2 tall guys -- and will have a nice season.

Anyway, we'll see how the Terriers settle in and compare to SoCon teams...My guess is that our coaches are still figuring some things out, tinkering with combinations of players. Perhaps we'll stick with the four-guard lineup for the most part, but I kind of think the Jones-Goodwin tandem could be very solid in the paint if Appelgren can play some decent minutes as a back up. I'm probably being redundant. Whatever the case, I think we've got some tough competitors who are going to want to keep our program going in the right direction.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:15 pm

UNCG defeated Georgetwon last week, and Furman took Auburn to OT last night. But the game before they lost by ten to USF.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Watched the Furman/Auburn game and Furman got totally screwed by the "Big 5 homer" deal. This is another year the SoCon could possibly make a case for a second bid, and we really need some significant wins from this year's big 3. Western almost pulled one off earlier and we will have our chances. The SoCon is definitely knocking on the door of getting more than one bid.
Here's a thought- Wake Forest certainly has a high probability of needing a new coach next year. There are several SoCon coaches who could possibly be in the running for that job. Who do you think would fit there?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball