2020 Recruiting

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2020 Recruiting

Postby dude on Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:39 am

And, yes, it does seem that a number of mid-major schools in the region are coming on pretty strong or are staying very competitive for recruiting -- App St. with Coach Kerns...Elon...Furman...Mercer...UNCC...Kennesaw St...Mercer. It doesn't make it easier, though Wofford has done a good job historically -- and it looks like perhaps in this recruiting class, too -- of finding players from places way outside the area...
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Jake Milkereit announces tomorrow. he was down to a final 5 including Utah State, William and mary, Wofford, Furman...

I have 0 knowledge of it, but wouldn't be surprised to see him at Furman or WM. appears those may have been his only two official visits.

does appear our reach is continuing to grow though as we are now getting more attention with guys out west too.

we are likely down to a wing spot and a big man spot
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:03 pm

As for bigs, I like where we are looking.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:48 am

Looks like we won't get Jake Milkereit. I hope that's an indication that Wofford's in good shape with Jackson Sivills and/or that our young perimeter guys are so good that he felt the competition for playing time will be extremely tough.

I'm sorry we haven't gotten a commitment from another post player, but there's time. Sometimes a guy comes on to the scene later in the game, even in the spring.

A name to keep an eye on: Nick Pringle, from Beaufort Co. in SC. I think there's interest. He's a 6-8 guy and, from what I have read, is on the thin side and is raw....but has grown rapidly in the past year, is athletic, and seems to have loads of potential. He might not be the brute strength kind of guy we could use in the post -- but you could do worse than an athletic tall kid who may still be growing. And as much as I like that our coaches are going after (and we've had historic success with) players from Wisconsin and Minnesota and other far-flung states, it's nice to see some SC boys in the program, too. Anyway, we'll see if this goes somewhere...
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:07 pm

Milkereit to W&M. Not a must get for us.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:58 pm

Kind of glad Milkereit didn't sign with Furman. I think he looks really good, based on highlights (which, of course, are highlights).

I saw just today that Pringle has gotten offers from USC-Upstate and Northern Kentucky. It seems his recruitment is on the rise. While he may still be developing -- thin, raw offensively -- he may really have potential. I wouldn't be surprised if our coaches try to get a visit by him soon. I have no real idea, but he seems like an intriguing player.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Sivills committed to Murray State. Close to home and I think his dad went there. Still, seems like our staff put a lot of work into this one...probably hurts.

I do think Wofford has a lot of good young talent on the perimeter, which could've factored into his choice a bit.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:02 am

Sivills looked like a player, but Murray State I'm sure is taking advantage of their recent success too (plus at least he ends up with another Wofford guy in Shane Nichols).

we did officially offer the kid from SC (Pringle). looks like he was on campus yesterday or perhaps this weekend, and we officially offered. perhaps we were saving that spot for Sivills and now a place opened up. sometimes that's a good thing.
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:41 pm

Pringle would be a good fit for us. Good student, well spoken.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Mylylyjael Poteat, center from Burlington N.C., committed to Rice. Had high hopes he would be a Terrier.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:17 pm

Yeah, he's from up your way, right?

That's a tough one. A big guy like that could really help. Can't blame a kid for taking the opportunity to go to a place like Rice University.

Same time, it appears that our coaches really want another big kid in this class. I hope it works out with Pringle. If not, someone might turn up in the spring....sometimes that happens.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:44 am

It's weird how quickly the recruiting list/offer pages on sites trim down this type of year. just a couple weeks ago verbal commits site had a lengthy list on our page. funny part is, pretty much none of the guys we signed were ever on the list. Appelgren, Zion, Godwin, Max... all came kind of from nowhere from social media/recruiting site standpoint
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:53 pm

It does seem that way, '06.

I assume that the guys followed by Wofford coaches on Twitter are legitimately on their list of potential recruits. But my guess is that they are also working on less-on-the-radar possibilities, too, that don't get much attention until late in the game. With Godwin, seems like they flew out to see him at his school, which was posted on Twitter, and within a week or so he'd visited campus and committed. I don't know if that was by design -- playing things low-key on purpose -- or if it was just how it shook out because other targeted recruits went elsewhere and/or Wofford simply got to know Godwin later than other guys.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:20 pm

sometimes I think things have a funny way of working out. there are probably spots we are holding more/less on certain guys. but once they end up elsewhere I'm sure the focus picks up on new ones. the good news at this level, is most of the guys (especially the bigs) are under the radar long term guys anyway. with that being said, there were some whispers going around on Fletcher before he stepped foot at campus he may be the best shooter in the league day one. and Hoover was buckets in HS too.
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:59 pm

That's a good point -- lots of times players may be under the radar. It's not like SoCon schools are all recruiting the same big guys who are all ranked in the top 100 among all players nationally. Now, there might be 30 or so (just a wild estimate) within a several-state area who are being pursued by mid-major schools in that region.

I think I remember hearing that Coach Young was really excited about Noah Dahlman and about Cameron Jackson, that he had high hopes for their careers. I would think he was excited about the talent of other post players, too. But I would think that for a number of them, things looks somewhat up in the air while they're still in high school.

Here's one who was really talented and was pretty well regarded coming out of high school, I'm pretty sure: Tyler Berg. He had his ups and downs, but could really play.

Anyway, I hope our staff will land an additional post player, possibly more of a true center or someone whose really versatile, in this class. Pringle is certainly an intriguing prospect.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball