Retired numbers

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Retired numbers

Postby Terrierfan06 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Curious to see how we proceed on this going forward. I feel like Mike wasn't a fan of retiring numbers, but he's not here anymore.

If we do decide, I feel like it's 42 (Dahlman), 2 (Cochran), 3 (Magee). plenty of others are deserving and instrumental in Wofford success, but seems like these 3 would stand out above the rest, at least initially (no offense to Garcia, Skinner, Johnson, Loesing, Wilkerson, Jackson...)

any one with insight on Wofford policy for these things?
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Re: Retired numbers

Postby Hobo on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:20 pm

The three above definitely need to be retired, and there used to be jerseys hanging in the BenJo that never made it to JRIS. Anybody know anything about that?
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:50 pm

When the time is right those three and perhaps more should be honored. In addition, Mike Young should/will be honored as well. In a few years there will be an appropriate time. As great as Dahlman, Fletcher, etc were are players, Loesing was not only a great player, but also was on the D1 First Team All American Academic team, which is pretty special. There are standards that Duke and UNC have before numbers are hung in the rafters. I hope we have a policy written to cover it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:40 pm

True about Loesing; he was THE point guard on that AA team, in esteemed company. Extremely reliable, and he may also hold our record for minutes played. Odell was pretty special too.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball